SITE REVIEW: vintageradioshows.com

• mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

This site,

http://www.vintageradioshows.com

Sells subscriptions to access 20,000+ old radio shows and I'm hoping for your opinion as to the graphs, layout, ease of use and other ideas for improvement. Thanks all. Don't forget to sign up and download some of our free samples as a thank you for your suggestions.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, right off the bat I'm thinking that those links should be a biege color to fix with "vintage" (when I think of vintage, I think antique, and when I think antique I think old photographs).

Y'know, honestly, that's my only opinion at the moment.
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most users at my site are over 45 so they may not understand if a link is not blue. To be fair... I some times don't notice either if a link is cleverly formated.

Thanks for you opinion... any other ideas?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poster has satisfied requirements - Unlocked.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm gonna have to say: Standard. It's not bad but it's not that good. It's a bit too plain too me. Your aligning on the left is a bit wierd. You have it like this:

"Not a
current
user?"

It should be like a sentance is. Maybe put a sidebar there. I love all of your rollover effects. Makes it look proffesional! Well done. But it's just absoloute text in the middle area. It needs some colour! My eyes almost fell asleep half way.

At the bottom where it has your copyright, change the text colour to black or something else! I can't see the copyright sentance very well...

Good Website anyway. Keep up the good work! :)
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003
  • Loc: Albany, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall I think you're on the right track, considering who the site's directed audience is.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the font. You're running 2 different fonts, with no standard sizing. Perhaps if you had regular sizing (ex ~ use 16 pt for the logos, 12 pt for the page, 14 for titles) it would be a little more eye-friendly. The other thing is the margins and spacing. You have a lot of blank space in odd spaces which makes the page seem thrown carelessly together.

Finally, because you're targeting an older audience, maybe you should really work on making the layout and design very straight forward, obvious, and easy to read. It's not completely clear what the site is about.. And it doesn't exactly feel like a site for vintage radio shows. But the smokey brown is the right color imo.
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you... I will change the font size to be consistant and look to make the layout a bit more straight forward.
  • hasnatme
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well nothing to complain about the fonts..because you already mentioned your viewers are over 45...anyway..I have some suggetion though..and they are...........

1. Your contact page is not align..Yes I'm talking about the text fields..they may look more good if you align them in same mergin.
2. When I clcked your signup button then all the header images loaded again..those are not coming from cache..I thing dialup user will feel disturb when they noticed same thing loaded twice and ofcourse it will kill your bandwidth too.

Not much study about your site but these are the suggestion for this moment..........

"Checked With Opera 8.0 Build:7561"
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a php based site so the header images are in the header.html file which is called on each page. I don't know how to force the browser to cache them... do you?

I'll look at the alignment... thanks
  • hasnatme
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you link those images from the same folder and ofcourse from the same server and site..the problem should not occur.
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep... that is how it is set up.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

well yeah, it is a bit big for my liking but i would just accept that, like the writing and headers really almost stand out too much.

I like the navigation is is nice and small, and a nice little roll over affect.
but otherwise very neat.
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks... perhaps I will cut the size down a bit.
  • explorer1979
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • explorer1979
  • Loc: Hong Kong SAR, China

Post 3+ Months Ago

The content of this web site is useful and great.

Interface design also very clear and well, well done.
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very kind of you to say

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers