SITE REVIEW: VIP Bargain City **NEW LAYOUT**

• Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i took some opinions on the original review and changed the site. new layout and everything and just wanted to know what everyone thinks about it again. new reviews welcome.

http://www.vipbargaincity.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

please review! thanks!
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm not totally sure you're there with the finished image. If you're going to advertise yourself as a 'bargin basement' type website you need to do more to convince me your prices are cheap. Currently it looks a bit like a template driven website reselling somebody elses database :roll: Sorry :oops:

That said the design is crisp and clean. It's just the overall package I think needs work. If you really are cheap can you display comparison prices to prove it :?:

Just thinking out loud.

Good luck.

Cheers, Prime ...
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i could.. but it would be ALOT of work. i hate the way cubecart works... but theres no changin now.. atleast for awhile.. but thanks for the review. keep em comin!
  • sroberts
  • sroberts

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the simple design, it's clean and easy to navigate.

Don't put your email address on your webpage, you'll get spam easily. Use contact form instead.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thought of that. thanks for the review! keep em comin.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need more reviews!
  • Thiagoo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Thiagoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

really cool, i like this kind of website!
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

uppin for reviews
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your servers down right now.
  • NewEra
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NewEra

Post 3+ Months Ago

color: try another level of blue/gray palette you use

header: add more graphical work on it, change the font of your slogin (set back...), add some depth to your logo and change it colors

your avator and signature are very good why can't you do same level of graphics for your site
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok it's back up now. Here goes:

There's just something about the design... At the top it would look better without the white space but then I get to the bottom it would look worse there. Maybe you could make the blue border thing red instead?

The kind of blue 3D effect you used in your logo is good. But I think you should use it for all your titles, or leave it out for the sake of consistancy.

The space between Search and Live Help is small than the spaces between all the others.

Do somethign with the spacing of feature products to make it stretch the area better. width="100%"?

At the bottom of the main content you have paypal, a RapidSSL thing, and googleAds stacked on on top of the other. There's got to be something you can do to conserve page height. It really looks like a waste of it.

At the bottom you have 2 copyright things? Can't you incorporate them into one?

How come there's the big space between partner sites and the very bottom google ad? And I think one google ad is enough. Two in almost the same place is not much of an advantage.

Refreshing the page I notice feature products are random, not really feature at all. You shouldn't be afraid to admit that they are random products, or atleast change the name of it to something a little more truthful.

You need to do a bit more checking in your registration form. I filled in every field with the value 'a' and it let me in!

Wanting to go back to the main page I notice the logo doesn't take me there. Instead there is a tiny link under 'Shop by category' that says 'homepage'. I would be lost except to retype the URL if I hadn't noticed that not particularly well placed link. So, remove the homepage link and make the logo link me there instead.

Ok its not that bad a site actually but just some things you should fix.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

BUMP
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Instead of just 'BUMP', perhaps you could tell us what you changed so we know what kind of reviews you want.

I don't know if it's my computer or your flash movie but it seems to be flashing white every few seconds as it plays. Very annoying!

When viewed beside that active and full of detail logo, the rest of the site looks unfitting and my eyes are constantly drawn back to the logo before they can click click anywhere.

But I do notice on Firefox you got a tiny overhang on the logo past the edge of the main content. Might want to fix that.

It appears you changed the backgroudn to a darker blue. The title bars do not stand out enough. Perhaps a lighter blue with dark background would be best.

Quote:
We Gladly Accept..

I dont know why but things always look better to me when followed by 3 periods.

Your text should be a tad darker. I dont know why so many sites now think grey text looks good.

Your introduction could use a touchup on the grammar. I woudl assume you are trying to appear professional.

The 'email' field has a blue border around it. It kind of stands out.

Would you like mroe review or is this enough for now?
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i fixed the banner. and it shouldnt have an overhang now. ill make the text darker and the title bar lighter. thanks for the input. keep em comin. thanks!
  • eoran
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eoran
  • Loc: Mexico City

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the fact that it's simple and elegant; it does look like a business website. Just consider changing the hover colour of the links at the bottom menu; it's too dark and gets lost with the background.
  • masterchief4
  • Born
  • Born
  • masterchief4

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the idea and there is some good deals! About the site design, navigation 9.0 graphics 7.0 accesablility 8.0. orverall its great!
good luck.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad, Not bad ;). Just a few suggestions from me.
1) I'm on DSL 256k, but for some reason the loading time on some things like the banner took around 10 seconds. Maybe think about putting a loading bar on your flash logo so that people actually know there's going to be a logo that will appear there when loaded.

2) I don't know if it's just me, or not, but the layout and text feels a bit cramped up and narrow. Maybe make the layout wider and put a bit more padding on the left side of the text so that it's not too close to the sidebar.

3) At the bottom of the page, it looks a little strange how the boxes are all different lengths. Make them the same length and it might look a little better.

4)
Website wrote:
Welcome to VIP Bargain City

Welcome to VIP Bargain City. Our goal ...
Try not too repeat yourself, makes it seem a little unprofessional - even though one is a heading. Either change the heading, or maybe get rid of it all together.

5) Maybe have a login form there instead of [ Login | Register ]. If not, try put that sentence on the same level instead of:
[ Login |
Register ]

Thats about all I can think of at the moment. Perhaps consider some of those things I said. But apart from that, you've got 2 thumbs up from me ;)

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

[ My Rating: 8/10 ]
  • wphilipw
  • Student
  • Student
  • wphilipw
  • Loc: PA, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

before I start, overall nice site, but nees work too:

1.generally I think that circles look nicer then sharp edges, so all the sharp edges in your header (such as the bar on the bottom) should go I think.

2.What purpose do the white bars going accross in the header serve other then to distract from the content? if it were an ad for the site that would be a good technic as it draws the eye, however in this case, it draws the eye away from the content of the site.

3.I would use "methods of payment" instead of "We gladly accept", even "we accept" would be better I think, somehow gladly isnt professional.

4.In both IE and FireFox the item listed on the main page, are not aligned
screenshot:
put them in divs, or in a table in order to align them, that would be better.

5.your copyright is in 2005, the year is 2006

6.Unless Adsense is a significant source of revenue for you, ditch it, it makes the site 100x less credible.

7.Use a single line for both the title and the first line:
Quote:

not:
Quote:
Welcome to VIP Bargain City

8.the login form needs to apear in that box when you click login instead of taking you to a login page, use Javascript, if you dont know how, PM me, I'll hook you up, I used it on my site.

thats about all, again, good site overall.. I would say that content wise its a 4.5/5 and layout wise its a 3.5/5

keep up the good work! :bouncingsmile:
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. im going to fix those things. thanks alot for the review. more reviews are welcome. theres always something to improve.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers