SITE REVIEW: Visitoons.com

• Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a new service for webmasters we've just released. Visitors can select a character, walk around and chat with each other, right there over any website. I would appreciate comments / evaluations on both the website and the service offered.

http://www.visitoons.com

Due to Mozilla limitations regarding transparent layers and event bubbling, it's recommended to be seen on IE, but I would appreciate comments from different browsers/platforms.

Best regards,
Marcelo
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want review or Signups?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ditto above.
I can't look at the site without logging in, which I'm not inclined to do.
open it up so we can review it
  • Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

mit, celandine, thank you for posting.

The main idea is not for you to signup (you're welcome if you want to). What i want you, people, to give me some feedback is about the service we are offering there.

The service is the flash application that runs over the website and allows visitors talk with each other using custom characters.

Thank you for your time!,
Marcelo
  • Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

Note: If you're using some browser different from IE, you have to click "Show" on the system menu displayed on the bottom right to activate the application.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can we review the site Iff we have to sign up? Open it up so we can take a look. And we will let you know.
  • Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin, thanks for your post. You don't have to sign up to use the animated character application. It's an application to chat with other people that is visiting the same site as you are.

Regards,
Marcelo
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am in FF and I can't do anything with this site without signing up.

Can you create an account for "ozzu users" or something so we can see more?

I like the homepage design ... but other than that I can not offer other opinions than perhaps work on making the site more browser compatible if you know where some issues are ...
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried to make a fake account and I got an error ... was gunna test it on Thinkgeek.com :) I love that site.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Design On the main page, Like one post stated can't you make a account for ozzu members?

Username : Ozzu

Passord: Ozzu
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried to put a fake user id in and I got the error as well
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Colorsur wrote:

Due to Mozilla limitations regarding transparent layers and event bubbling, it's recommended to be seen on IE, but I would appreciate comments from different browsers/platforms.

From a pure design persective, why would you go ahead with this site considering how heavily FF/Mozilla is used, esp by people that are more likely to potentially use your site? IMO it is bad design to knowingly push it and not revise to make it work all the way around ... Perhaps put the kibosh on this whole thing and save it for when transparent layers like Mozilla but modify it so it works in the now, not in 6 months or whatever ?
  • Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

kbergman, jflynn, penguin, thanks for the posts. What I really would love you to test is the interactive chat application that is displayed as a flash application 'over' the site.

The Mozilla bug affects the site as there is no event transmission when you have a transparent layer (absolutely positioned) over some links. So, as this is a webmaster tool (thought as a 'plugin' for everyone to use it on his site) we MUST allow visitors to use the site. Visitors using Mozilla only have to turn the application on (allowing them to minimize it later). To turn the application on, on the blue menu that appears down-right, click 'Show'.

You will be assigned a random character to chat with whoever is at the site at that moment.

Regards,
Marcelo
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is actually pretty cool. Too bad it does not work in FF. I can't find the menu to right click and choose show and i clicked almost everywhere.

Good idea though, definately an original idea. :)
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Can only view the homepage without having to sign up, So I can only comment on the homepage as I am not willing to sign up.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin,

I broke out of my norm and viewed it in IE7 for longer than an "okay it works in IE7" as I use FF ... and it worked fine ... in FF i can't use the site at all unless I sign up ... have you tried it in IE7?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just tried in IE6 and seems I can't use it unless I sign up. does it only work in IE7?
I just don't understand this.....
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is just my observation but here it goes.

IE's seem to like and dislike certain features ... and my guess is this site was designed and tested in IE7 and potentially the new Opera ... IE6 prollie does not support something it runs, same with FF.

What did you test this in when you designed it ?
  • Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

people, i took a capture of the site as i can see it using Firefox. There you will see (with a red circle) the menĂº and the "Show" button (if you use IE, the system menu will be closed and the application will auto-launch). Clicking there you should be able to use the application without signing up.

If you're unable to see this, please tell me your browser specs as I will need to check it myself.

Thanks,
Marcelo
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm unable to see this, either in firefox or in IE6. I see the header (no navigation menu though) and a box with three text fields saying :email, :password, :login

that's it.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

What specs you want for FF Users?
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
I'm unable to see this, either in firefox or in IE6. I see the header (no navigation menu though) and a box with three text fields saying :email, :password, :login

that's it.

That is what I see in FF 2.0.0.11 ....
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

it seems that's what most people are seeing. that's why everyone seems confused and no one can comment on the site
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Colorsur ... Not to be rude but perhaps you should rework alot of this before you ask people to comment amply testing to reduce confusion and make it worth your while and ours?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

You really do need to sort this out, It is impossible for the vast majority of this forum to comment as we can only see the main page, I suggest you work on your website and post it, Or update this thread when you have completed it.
  • Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

People, thank you all for your valuable posts. Seems that you're being redirected to the login page. At the home page you don't need to signup nor be logged in or whatsoever. Everything happens at the home page.

I will try to find a way to reproduce the behavior you're experimenting as I've tryed it with Firefox 2.0.0.11 (screen capture from here), IE6, IE7, Safari (Mac), Firefox (Mac), and on those browser/os everything worked as expected.

celandine, what you're seeing seems to be this page: http://www.visitoons.com/Public/Login.aspx. That's not the intended page to visit (I don't know why you arrived there!)

kbergmann, your comment is not rude, i totally understand your point, but I would really need your eyes on this, because i'm unable to see what you're seeing.

Regards,
Marcelo
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great It works, Now when I enter the URL I see what was in the screenshot.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes sir, that's exactly what I get. even now. penguin, for you the problem is fixed?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can get tto the screenshot page as well, of course i'm not signing up so i can't review anymore then the index page.

Would be nice to see a couple (small) screen shots of this in action.....
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
yes sir, that's exactly what I get. even now. penguin, for you the problem is fixed?

Indeed the issue is fixed for me, But I will not be signing up. I only click on links to review them. Not to sign up to them:P

So all I can say is , Great color scheme and I like the Layout, Its great to see that all the links seem to be working. Could you show us some examples of your website working?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers