SITE REVIEW: Vladdracworld (part deux)

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um..... How do you submit art? I dont see a link or anything. I am all logged in and everything. I see how to submit a review.... but not how to submit art work. I geuss Ill play with it a bit, but just FYI, I think it should be right out there in my face glaring bright knock me off my feet. :)
  • Dazzzleu
  • Dazzzleu
  • Loc: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once I got into the site...I could see some really cool potential. Layout seems easy as well as navigation (I didn't check all links because I know it's a work in progress). I say once I got into the site...I'm not a big fan of, um, what are they called? Splash pages? The first page that the viewers see's when going into your site.

IHO - This is really a waste of a click...but to some it's cool. Your's was way bigger then 800x600 resolution would allow me to see without scrolling horizontally and vertically. So, in the addition of a wasted click...was a wasted scroll because it served no purpose. Seems trivial, but to some (obviously) it kinda an issue.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are right, I am getting rid of the splash page alltogether
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

smokenjoe, you will need to know how to do an img src html tag to post the image. There is also a wysiwyg editor. When you go to submit review, just follow along....

It is on the left, but you are right joe, It should be slapping you in the face (the links). I am probably going to add a link bar right at the top

//splash page is history
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I finally figured it out. Im gonna post somthing sometime ;) but I kinda got involved in a big project, so I dont know when Ill have time.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh it is cool just whenever. So what do you think of the layout and stuff, what would you change about it?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, like I said before, the main thing is that if you want people to post their artwork, they need to know that they have that option immediatly when they enter the site. Other than that, the layout seems pretty good.

I would move the login/sign up to the left top of the page. Thats just personal opinion, but thats another thing that people need to see. Its not that it took me forever to find it farther down and on the right, its just that it doesnt seem to stand out as well as it maybe should.

Also, is blue the only color that your willing to use? It looks good, but just a little plain. I dont like sites that have a billion colors, but when you have a site with just one color, it looks a little boring. I was just looking at your sig, and I would almost like to see those types of colors in there as well. Maybe keep blue as the main color, but use that flaming effect as a border or somthing as well. Also, can you darken the white background a little? The bright white and blue is just a little to plain. Maybe do an off white/grey, use some bright (flame effect from sig) borders, with the white font, and the blue filler. Its just an idea, and you can mess with it as you see fit.

Lets see......I really like the set up that you have for the middle posting part (the spikey tutorial etc), so I wouldnt mess with that too much.

As Im looking at the page, whats with the kinda blank outlined space in the upper right corner? Is that just still under construction? If it is, then no comment.

Heres a link to my very favorite art website. Maybe it can give you some ideas. The best artist of all time (Samwise) is featured here, along with Metzen. Be sure to check out their artwork when you get the chance. Enjoy.

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the login, 50% of the time I see a guest or two on there, but no one signs in. I am fixing that immediately

Yeah I am working to resolve the submit tutorial, artwork for review not obvious issue for the past few days, just haven't got around to implementation.

I like my layout, I don't like real complex colors, and I am trying to keep it minalistic. I can see how you would like it different, but I don't think I want to change it, unless there is a unanimous opinion that it is horrid.

The header issue, yes it is under construction, right along side with the obviousness issue. I am making a new header, possibly flash, with flash buttons underneath instead of the common menu to the left.

Thank you for taking the time to comment Joe. I really appreciate it. I just wish I could get more opinions on here.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, no problem.

I am actually kind of surprised that more people havent commented. Kind of wierd. Maybe PM Bigweb and the mods and ask for a review. I dont know if thats within the rules, but it may be a last ditch effort.

About the colors, I didnt mean that they looked bad, I was just giving you a different idea:). The blue does look good, but Im afraid I still stick by my idea of softening the white a little to almost grey. Otherwise, keep it up.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

not a bad idea about the soft grey.

Also I am currently doing a flash header/pulldown menu and it is looking really good. I cannot wait till I finish it
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, sorry I aint reviewed your new site, can't wait to see the flash header ;)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, please post when you get that done. I cant wait to see it! :)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well here is what I have so far for the header, Just need to do a few more things to that, and I am currently working on the header banner now

http://www.vladdracworld.com/Untitled-1.html
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like what the site contains. the tutorials and art work will defintly be somewhere i would visit once they have more content.

I found that if i visit the tutorial of photoshop etc, the black text on the dark blue background is extremly hard to read. This could however be my moniter. I would recomend using white text,

Your logo at the top has got a white background and does not fit in witht he background of the site.

Sorry if what i have said has been said before but i skimmed the post.

Great site
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh wow, thank you for pointing that out about my background, I couldn't really notice that on my lcd. That really looks messed up.

Yeah I think I will change that font, or at least make it larger, because it seems quite small.

Thank you, very helpful info there
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I think I fixed that, do you still see a transition with the background?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I changed the font weight, size and color to white, I am not sure If I am liking the white, I am going to keep it for now, gotta run to school. Let me know what you think
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the logo looks great now. The font IMO looks tons better however the black is still hard to read and i have to hightlight it with the mouse in order to see it.

What about gray so that it looks the same color as the search box?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

you are still seeing black in the tutorial sections? I am seeing white. what browser are you using?

now in the first page, news section, I left it black and just upped the font 2 pts..is this what you are talking about?

This could be a default setting in your computer, my wife has hers set to green...bleck, and it is set to green on her computer. It is white at school as well. Perhaps there is a way to overide the computer default if that is the issue
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah still showing black although some of it is white -

It is the same in firefox as it is in IE, i dont think its my compuer as i normally see things correctly on this moniter. And it also looked the same at work.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that is how it should look...cool

You really can't see the black? I see just fine, even on your print screen
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i can now from home, i was at my work poota and it was harder to see i think the moniter needs its setting's changed.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I am going to go back to black, but keep the same font size, don't care much for that white
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The image you have behind the menu on the left is kind of busy, it distracts you or makes it a bit harder to read.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added a new header, but I accidently deleted my .fla header file, and It wasn't finished. So I added just a jpg for now until I create a new one.

still would like some comments of some sort

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 55 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers