SITE REVIEW: Vladdracworld (part deux)

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I am pretty new to authoring a website. I have just started getting into this. My knowledge of php or anyother kind of scripting is very limited right now, but I am really interested in learning.

This is my poor attempt at making anything that actually looks good. (to me anyway). Also it is my first domain, and non-free host, which I am very excited about.

Anyway it is far from done, and I don't even know what direction I am going with it, just kinda letting it evolve into its own thing. There isn't a lot of content yet but I would really like some honest input into what i could improve upon, or what direction would be good. It is just really a personal website.

http://www.vladdracworld.com

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You didn't make it entirely clear. I'm assuming this is the link you want folks to review, correct?

http://www.vladdracworld.com/
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, sorry, that is the link. http://www.vladdracworld.com
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't get a short response even?

Is it really that bad?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know that anyone could say it's bad. I do get a runtime error when trying to enter your site on line 15 (not the splash page -- the main page). I didn't look closely but apparently has something to do with the php script you are using. I'm probably one of the few who sees the runtime error because I have my sys set up that way. For all intents and purposes the main page displays just fine. I think what I'm seeing is a prob with the php script you are using.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, what i see with my editor, not the browser, is a problem with line 16, which is a javascript for netscape navigator 4.0 resize reload.

Maybe I should just take the script out entirely, because I haven't had one hit that uses that browser at all, let alone 4.0
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

first off I would like to recommend that your front page image also be linked to your webpage, but that has nothing to do with the quality of your site. The layout is good, a bit overused, but a good one none the less. your three links at the bottom need to be addressed

Home - this one is sending me to the front page, it may be better to link it to your 'news' page.

Art - links to "*/about.php" this is strange because you do not have an about page as when I click it I get a 404, and if you did have an about page you would call it about not art, so link it to your art page (all of your art is very nice BTW)

Cartoons - take the about statement and replace art with cartoons and about with service

Rants - well here is my rant, you don't have a link to your rants page, sure it is not important now as you don't have much stuff on you page but when there is more people are not going to want to scroll all the way up , or press the home key, so a rants button should be provided at the bottom

old stuff - you site is not overloading with content now, but once it starts to fill up (as it is doing in the art area) your going to have to think about where to put older stuff, perhaps a 'archives' section may be in order for the future.

Purple - not a singe page of your site, and only a few peices of art had purple on them... so that is a definite plus.

overall a good idea for a site it just needs more time to develop.

wow, that was a good waste of 20 minutes.... thank you, you stopped me from having to do another 50 "R U DA GUY 4 ME!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!111/1/1//111oneoneslashslash" quizzes on quizilla, but really I enjoyed it. keep up da super work :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
hmmm, what i see with my editor, not the browser, is a problem with line 16, which is a javascript for netscape navigator 4.0 resize reload.

Maybe I should just take the script out entirely, because I haven't had one hit that uses that browser at all, let alone 4.0

The error roughly from memory is that it is expecting a "]" or ")" (hard to tell with the font) on line 15. Hope that helps.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

On your content page, the green hue seems to shift a bit between the header graphic and the menu. I should preface that comment with the fact that I'm looking on my laptop right now, and not a properly calibrated CRT. I know that's really picky. Sorry, just me perhaps. I like the feel of the colors on the header better than those of the menu. However the text on the header seems out of place and hard to read.

The layout is a very standard, but a very solid liquid, 3 column job which is good. I consider using percentage based dimensions in IMG tags to be an absolute no no, however. Raster images deserve more respect, IMO.

There seems to be some disparity in the scale of the form elements in the right hand column and the other items in the page.

On the whole, I'd like to see the elements pulled together just a little more.

btw: I really like the thing you're calling "post up". I've often thought of suggesting something like that for Ozzu.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you much ih8purple and digital media, I didn't notice the links on the bottom went to those old non-existant urls, I am fixing now.

On the issue of disparity in the scale of the form on the right, I am not sure what you mean by disparity. Perhaps you could explain what you mean further? My volcabulary is not very good.

Thanks a bunch!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant the menu buttons, font's and content boxes are all narrow, sharp and thin. When you get over to the 'post up' the input fields are big and the buttons are a bit blurry.

I would suggest slapping some style definitions on the input fields for the width, height, and maybe even colors and then probably redoing the buttons.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey great idea! Thanks a bunch
  • mediatitan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mediatitan

Post 3+ Months Ago

If this is ur 1st site - u must have put a lot of time into it - lots of content & different styles of programming - it reminds me of some of the professionally made gaming sites that i've been to.

Problems - link to 'templates' is down (i'm sure i'm not telling u something u don't know)
- don't see the error, but getting an i.e. error on line 66?

Otherwise looks good.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thanks a bunch...

The link is not down, i am not sure what these errors are, but I got to go through and thouraghly debug stuff.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi..

you must have put a lot of effort into the site, 1 thing i would recommend...

on the top, the big image. It is stretched on my monitor 1280x1024, when i make the viewable area smaller it goes back to normal size..

perhaps you could fix that ;)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I tried to make it stretch for that reason...but now I am finding that it is not a good idea due to different resolutions and such.

So I am going to change it to a background image.

It's on my todo list, along with many other things
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would add a little more color too it besides the green and black unless u like that, and then i would suggest adding graphics like a title bar graphic to catch someones attention
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

a title bar graphic?
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

First thing, I just have a question about your splash page. is the image changing? or am I just really tired? lol

anyway...
I think the header image is a little hard to read
and it looks sort of pixelated on a 1680x1050 screen (lol)

**EDIT**
OH! it goes with the window nice! :-) you should make a high res banner

I like how it looks, just make the "Vladdrac world" a little more legible...

I like how you put site links at the bottom of the page too :-)

Other than that I really like it, colors are great :-)
Nice work
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool thanks alot, your right about the resolution, it should be higher. I made it 1024 px wide. It would make much more sense to make the resolution higher so it doesn't pixalate on higher res. Only problem would be it would take longer to load, but I will just compress it more.

And yeah, I am just learning flash, the only thing it does is blink white for a few seconds(splash screen)....lol
  • Nathan
  • Nathan
  • Loc: Sioux Falls

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, first off...In my browser that I love so much, Mozilla firefox, it is all messed up at the top. The images stretch funny. Anyways, maybe that is just the browser. Did you make all this stuff, or are the games ripped? If you did, rock on!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the games where all open source flash files, and they where free to edit and to do what I pleased with. I know about the header, that is just laziness on my part for not fixing it.
  • Breinstormas
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Marijampole, Lithuania

Post 3+ Months Ago

not bad :oops:
  • linksdot
  • Born
  • Born
  • linksdot

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think it will look good with red. and i think you have a good website. but try to add more Template.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok It has been awhile, but I am finally pretty much ready to re-release my website, maybe a little half heartedly, but I need to get it out to get some opinions and see where I can go from here.

It has been completely overhauled, I really need some good critisism.

I am working on it pretty much half the time I am awake a day, and I know I need a lot more content, which I am just now adding on a daily basis. It will be good when the site gets older.

just need some opinions, thankin ya
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I at first thought that I was supposed to click somthing in the begging, but then it switched to your web page, so that was ok. I have cable, so I dont know how it well or fast it will load on a normal modem. It might confuse some people.
Otherwise, I like the page it links too, and the side bar looks good. I like the color layout. All of the links that I clicked on worked without any problems.
Be sure to add more artwork. It looks kinda pathetic with only 3 pieces of art. Not that its bad, I unberstand that your just getting started, but if I was wanting you to do a piece of work for me, and I looked and saw only 3 pieces of art, I would be kinda turned off.
Also, I dont know if you already have this, but I would post your achievments somewhere. Like the classes/languages/commissions that you have completed or learned. Just an idea. Otherwise, AWSOME SITE!

//lol, this is kinda off topic, but right now my participation points spell leet, 1337. Its too cool for me!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, the idea is to have the users submit their art. The site is not about me, it is all about the community. I will add more art, but I don't want to flood it with my own stuff.

I agree with my splash page. I will fix it and put up a link in it
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alrighty. It was just a suggestion. Like I said, it worked ok for Cable, but I was a little worried about normal dial-ups. Anyways, can I submit some art? Or are you not ready for that kind of stuff yet? And if yes, does it have to photoshop?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, you sure can submit. No it does not have to be anything but art.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok then! cool. Ill have to submit somthing. Or 2.......or 3! :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 55 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers