SITE REVIEW: Vortexconnection

• Alderak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia, Vic, Melbourne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Ive been doing a lot of Design for friends over the holidays to my site isn't finished but have a look anyway. I finally have some time so it might be finished by the time you do.

Its my Design site so i will appriciate many complements on how dashing (did i say dashing?) it looks. would also appriciate some insight into how many programming mistakes ive made so if your modem starts smoking please tell me.

vortexconnection.000k.net

support 000k because when you support them you support me.........Hmm no wonder their losing customers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, learn HTML and CSS and start designing your websites by hand (coding).

Don't use frames/iframes, unless you have a good reason to.

The words are hard to read and not very professional.

Banner is not centered in Mozilla, design for cross-browser compatibility.

Flash page loads kinda slow and is useless.

Hit Counters are way unprofessional. Take it off of their and use server statistics instead.

Umm, try adding some content to your pages. Like your rather lonely portfolio.

The link to the contact page is dead. Fix it!

The background image doesn't go. It looks like sh** to put it bluntly. Use a small image (5x5) that flows into one big image.

The application form? Why is it there if you aren't hiring.
  • Indulge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Indulge
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same here...sorry!
Looks really unprofessional to me. Like my mother's aunt's sister's niece has programmed it at school.
If you want to offer design, you need to show it off. This is not design.
I agree with truce, that you really need to dig into the html/css coding and all that.
What I am also missing is a piece of information on the homepage that tells me right away what kind of "graphic service" I am looking at. What kind of graphics? Print? Web? Logodesign? I wouldn't know what to ask of you ....
Portfolio needs to be filled. After working on your coding, do some charity work or stuff for friends who run a business. Do it for free or cheap and use the things as your portfolio.
Good Luck
  • Alderak
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thankyou for the advice derogetory as it is i see your point about it looking unproffesional but i do have a few things to say

is
Quote:
isn't finished
really that hard to understand i've worked on the design lets say a week. I only wanted an oppinion and i got it though now i wish I hadn't. Well there are bound to be a few lemons.

To answer your question truce the application page is up as filler is i only uploaded my finished work Nothing would be there. The code send the application but then what?

I would still like some refinement on what you meant by this

Quote:
First off, learn HTML and CSS and start designing your websites by hand
I know html but genrated it this time because I dont have time. Dont worry, just to make this stickler shut up i'l do it by hand next time.

Finally the charity work is a great idea. But im already doing it The reason my works not up cause i havn't programmed my portfolio.....yet

You guys wrote down my site big time but i'l get over it it'll help me do a better job nextime
  • Indulge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Indulge
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand your anger and I for my part didn't mean to put you down.
What I wanted to tell you was, that you should really show off, what you can do on your own page.
I don't care if there's no content (yet) or if the Contact-form doesn't work. But if you want a review, you have to live with the echo.
If this was a private page, I wouldn't say a bad word about it. But in my opinion, you should show a certain standard in design if you want to SELL it.

I am also certain that everyone here is willing to help you with special questions or features. But I (we) have to say what we feel about it and it just has an overall look that doesn't communicate business....

So...if you have specific questions, post them and you'll get qualified answers here...i guess :-)
  • BravoGolf
  • BravoGolf
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked the colour scheme, although the table headers of each title (projects, current projects etc) seemed a bit too chaotic.
Also got a page cant be displayed on your contact link.

You should remove the counter though!
  • Roxy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

a couple of things i will add

I would change the background you can see the seams.

Counter should go that was mentioned before.

I am not found of the purple and blue writing on purple background kinda hard to read.

and one more thing i really dont see a point to the .index page its just a blank page with no flash - or is there sappose to be some i waited a bit to see if something loaded but didnt see anything.

and everyone here is to help give suggestions sometimes they can feel brutal but in the end you will have something to be proud of :) keep it up :)
  • Nazrin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: MY(Malaysia)

Post 3+ Months Ago

The counter looks good BUT it's not matching with your background.
Quote:
Black/Green + Purple..

:D

The frame makes the site a bit weird. try make
it simple...The banner looks ok...
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Just a comment, I see that your content is scalable but your header graphic is not. I am viewing your site on my 24 " wide monitor and it's scaling nicely except for the top banner. Try to make that scalable so that it doesn't look as messy otherwise.

I'd suggest changing the text colour as well since it's hard to read against the already purple background!

How about having your background just a plain colour? Or if you really want to continue using the image as your background try to make it bigger so it doesn't tile and make the site look so busy.

On your Services pages, I noticed a spelling error. Under "What Can Offer" shouldn't it be "What We Can Offer" or "What We Offer"?

DOn't forget alt tags on your graphics :)

Keep up the great work!
  • Alderak
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey Indulge mate, chill i'm not angry and i'm not upset by your critisism. I heard a saying last night that really made sense 'complements dont help you get better' I respect the oppinion of people more experienced than myself. Besides you are nothing compared to truce.

I'm taking all this into consideration because i'm scrapping the whole site and starting again. I do appriciate all the help but I'm a little hurt by the fact that no one thinks my banner fits (its ok, its the first thing to go)

As to the spelling error i dont know how it slipped through the cracks.

Thanks again and goodluck
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

banner isn't centered in firefox

the text input for the news looks bad, you should at least make it look 2d with css, or just make straight text.

there's a gap between the logo and the header, and the header doesn't match the rest of the page.

the background looks bad with the content images, they clash and dont align.

a rollover or two might spiff it up a bit.
  • NoamDesign
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NoamDesign
  • Loc: Israel

Post 3+ Months Ago

go play chess... :D

J.K

i hate purple... so i'll shut up...
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont get it
  • Alderak
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont get it either...Care to explain?

I was expecting you to critesise my work again Necsus. Nice to see you didn't let me down :P

By the way does anyone besides me disagree with the smiley appropriate for the forum since when has : P looked like this :P
  • hey
  • hey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the text looks horrible !
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything seems out of alignment to me...
seems like somethings are aligning to right..some to left....
some w/e...
doesn't look right.
The background increases this problem. The fact that it has these straight lines and is tiling makes it look like everythings disaligned....
Also the sites too hard to read...maybe too much of one color?...I dont know....

Even with all this I still like the banner.
I think the header nav. should be aligned with it properly too.
I also think you might want to base a good amount of the rest of the design on those colors.....or change ur banner...
It looks out of place, and since I like ur banner more then the site I think u should go with changing the site : p

and I agree w/ what u said about the smiley
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith
  • Loc: Birmingham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is the problem with using generators like frontpage/dreamweaver :twisted: they really are nasty pieces of work......

one other thing i didn't see mentioned was that you have a splash page....get rid of it......they're a complete waste of everybody's time....

if i were you, i'd take the whole site down until it's ready.....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers