SITE REVIEW: waffles Radio

• waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://wafflesradio.com

waffles Radio is a site I've made for a radio show I'll have starting in September. I'd like to have it as good as possible before I leave for school around the 14th so I can start the real advertising push when I get up there. I'm worried more about getting Winthrop traffic. Anything from search engines etc. is just a bonus for me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

compare it to
http://www.radio21.ro
http://www.kissfm.ro
http://www.di.fm

some other radio website. and you`ll understand what I am talking about.
  • Mong
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Mong
  • Loc: Floating on the C

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must take .fm extension instead of .com
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Except we don't broadcast over FM, just online and closed cricuit television.

And I'm only one show on the a station that I otherwise have no control over. I have no way of knowing what other DJs are doing or anything like that.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

webia wrote:
compare it to
http://www.radio21.ro
http://www.kissfm.ro
http://www.di.fm

some other radio website. and you`ll understand what I am talking about.

You're not talking about anything! :imwithstupid:
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's what I thought too. Glad to see I'm not alone in that thought.
  • Gavilan
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gavilan
  • Loc: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice idea but that Black Background is kiddan hard to read with plus all those links in blue makes it very hard to read,

but apart from that I like it :)
  • voodoo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • voodoo
  • Loc: egypt

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't like the colors too much
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone have any advice that I can actually work with? I'm sorry, but telling me that you don't like the colors doesn't amount to anything. It's like me saying I don't like your face.
  • JennyLee
  • Born
  • Born
  • JennyLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel like from your last post you are wanting advice on how to make you site better- it is great! Your color scheme is nice, it is full of need/want to know information about your show, and where you are trying to go with it. Your grammar usage is up to par ( I hate when I view a site and it looks like a 4th grader wrote it), everything lines up nicely ( unlike my site). I am a newbie to all of this, but I see no obvious problems and I think your site and show are going to do well.
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, waffles.

First, you are using a #ffffff font on a #000000 background. This is a little harsh on my retinas - maybe you could lower the contrast a little by greying up the font color a bit. It'll still look white, but will be more pleasant to look at, easier to read. For example, what you are looking at right now is font-color #cccccc. Toggle back and forth between this page and your page and you'll see what I mean.

Also, your main text goes from one side of the page all the way to the other. This reminds me of an MS Word document. I think it would be more attractive if you had a more narrow column for the main text. For some reason, people are more likely to read something if it doesn't span the whole page. Most websites, magazines and all newspapers do it this way.

Perhaps a sidebar would help. I'm not sure what you would put in the sidebar, but I think a sidebar that ran all the way down your page would look better.

About the top logo: It's not bad, but I feel like there is a little too much empty red space on each side of the logo.

Another thing, just an idea - I noticed that on the "shows" page you had a comment box. People love leaving comments, and it adds content to your site. I would indicate, on the main page, that there is a comment box here. I didn't know about it until I checked out the "Shows" link, but if you had a "comments" link, I think people might take more interest in your site. A step further would be to add an actual forum. For a radio site, a forum would make a lot of sense. Listeners could post things while they listened to your show.

I hope you found this useful...
  • CheebaHawk
  • CheebaHawk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right off the bat, when I go to your "shows" page, the main header goes from being centered to left justified. This killed me, IMO, it looked very unprofessional. Also, why is your streaming page down for the summer? It seems like the main content of your site is unavailable...this is a no no. If your not regularly going to stream your program, you should at the least, have a way to listen to old shows...or anything.
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish y'all had seen it before I took down the fake information, but it is obvious that you didn't read my first post. This show for is Starting in September and I havn't done anything yet, so there's no old shows. Also, it's the Winthrop station streaming it, so I have no control over that. Wish I could have some though.

If you had seen it before the fake information was up, you would have noticed that I plan on having a sidebar with links to all the shows. But that's not your fault for seeing it after I took it down.

I don't know why I never thought about mentioning the comment box. I'm holding off on the forum though to make sure people use it. I don't want one there that isn't used. Or would it be a better idea to have it there from the start and remove it later if people don't use it?

I just really don't like the look of grey text on grey background. My content background is actually #212121.

And the header on the shows page is just one that I missed when I was switching from a hacked up way of using the old <center> tag to the proper CSS way of using it. Thanks for mentioning that.
  • bigbrainmedia.com
  • bigbrainmedia.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

My comments.. It needs more color and graphics. Find out who your target audience is. Alot of todays sites are built with no regard to the audience.

Is your audience the MTV crowd?. If so, they appeal to younger viewers that may become visually bored, easier.

Thats my 2 cents.
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

waffles wrote:
I'm worried more about getting Winthrop traffic.

Do people read these at all before they leave a review?
  • InfernoDesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • InfernoDesign
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks OK. The colors make me think of a cartoon type website. The body is a bit generic and makes me feel like it is a first generation website. The information is all there and looks fine it just doesn't WOW the visitor. Your first reply had some good links of Radio websites. Generally they are very eye catching with more graphics than text on the home page.

You need more of a Radio feel instead of it feeling like someone's personal website that they build with the free webspace they got from signing on with there ISP. I think it is a good start. I would create a new index page that would be more attrative to the visitor. Just my observation as a visitor. Everyone may have different opinions.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers