SITE REVIEW: web design comments only

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a guy doing a girls website for a few bucks but OMG HELP ME PLEASE! I dont like the way the middle bit looks and I have got too close to this project that I dont know if it looks professional anymore?

So I did a template of how the first page is going to look using her limited text and her good supply of photographs.

http://www.pamperevents.com

I dont like it but I dont know why :(

Note: "A good designer knows what to add but also what to take away"
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I think the problem is colour. The different tones of pink don't quite go together. And the grey text looks a bit "mucky". Although I'm not really sure what to suggest as a solution.

IMHO the outside looks bitty - with elements seemingly floating around in strange ways.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
well I think the problem is colour. The different tones of pink don't quite go together. And the grey text looks a bit "mucky". Although I'm not really sure what to suggest as a solution.

hmmm looks ok on a TFT and CTR but I guess I am not used to working in pink and it does look bad. I will try and get some more collours to match using some nice Photoshop pallets I have.

rtm223 wrote:
IMHO the outside looks bitty - with elements seemingly floating around in strange ways.

cool - I will take that as a positive comment :) (I dont like the norm!). I have put the logo in the middle to even things out a bit.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

few things that struck me - it's definitely off balance with the boxes on
the outside. I also don't like the size - too small, even for a limited
amount of content. The bg image has too much cotnrast and take my
eye away from the center. The logo isn't obvious enough out there all by
itself, and it's just sorta in neverland. It doesn't help that it's centered at
all, and I would have rooted it on the left side of the box instead.
I think the color is ok, but it is a bit harsh.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was hoping you (UNFLUX) would give me some feedback and thought to PM you at one point.

I will try evening the boxes on the outside by adding another to the left to download the order form.

I will try knocking out some of the contrast in the bg image give me 10 minutes.

The Logo is not my design and cant be changed (I should have said that).
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks for the help I am now happy with the style:
http://www.johandesilva.co.uk/pamper_events/
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

*ahem* I have a question *scratches head* why does everything open in a popup window???? Is that really neccasary? I closed the first one TWICE before i realized that the link was doing it. You may want to take the fact that people generally close popup windows pretty quick into consideration. The logo looks better now that it is bigger and the site looks good, but you may want to ditch the popups.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don’t want to get into an argument so we can agree to disagree if I say that is an outdated comment about "popups". Most people nowadays and in the future with the next IE wont have as many pop up adverts than they did.

The main reason I chose popups is because there was not enough content to fit a whole page and what content there was just text making it look ugly so pop ups IMO are a little neater.

I have had this discussion at work where its always the programmers who don’t like them but Marketing, Design and everyone ales doesn’t see this as a problem.

I spoke with the client today and she is happy with the design but wants to change the colours.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL its kool, its your design and as long as the client is happy, more power to ya! Good Job!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan has a point about popups, and after surfing with zonealarm blocking most popups and firefox blocking anything that gets through that, I don't ever think that pop-ups are ads anymore.

Plus they are pop-ups that only occur when you click on a link, you should be expecting something to happen when click a link shark :wink:
  • Gints Vitols
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gints Vitols
  • Loc: Latvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is my opinion on your design:

Color scheme, background, logo and other images are quite nice. I like the overall layout, however, I believe that, the central column could be made somewhat wider (that would reduce the page height and minimize scrolling).

The main problem, in my opinion, is navigation. Why there are both icons and navigation bar with hyperlinks? If the page is big, then two bottom icons go out of screen. I don't think that the idea of placing icons on both sides is good, anyway. I would expect that navigation bar is placed somewhere on the top of the page, to avoid scrolling. Also, it is relatively hard to understand, which link goes where, and what exactly is the site structure. In general, I think that navigation must be made more structured (and separated into several categories).

Some other small problems:

There are two different versions of logo on different pages, one with drop shadows and one without.

The "Terms & Conditions" link at the bottom of the page looks like ordinary text.

There are some links that are blue, when not visited - doesn't fit the color scheme.

The table cell background color on "Prices & Bookings" page looks somewhat ugly.

Currently there is no link to main page.

In general, I think it's a good, professional quality site, with some slight problems.
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to say it but my eyes are drawn away from, what I assume to be the main focus of the page, the central portion of the page and concentrate on the; order, massage, beauty etc links.

Its a personal; opinion but I always rate site design on where my eyes are drawn to first, without looking again I couldn't tell you the name of the site and the only product/services I can remember were those contained in the box links outside of the central portion.

I've got to aggree though, if the client likes it then she likes it and you've done your job right.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feeback and yes there are only 2 products!!!

She wants me to try adding green so I maybe back soon!
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, i like that site, your doing good so far.
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll be back to review soon but so far so good in my eyes
  • Tomo
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah thhis was said before but the shades of pink and green do not mix. It doesnt make an impact for me you need some anim on their tbh
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep she wanted the green added somewhere!

Does anyone know of a pink website?
  • kipper76
  • Born
  • Born
  • kipper76

Post 3+ Months Ago

at first it seems quite nice starring at the flower, then you get hit by that hideous green! and huge floating buttons...the logo is just plonked at the top of the page, like it doesnt know where to go. and why does it have pop up?...seems pointless...the table on prices and booking is horrid...the icons look like they were taken from another site..very missed matched...
  • diverdan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • diverdan
  • Loc: Alabama, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

plenty of pink here:
http://www.hellokitty.com/

and don't ask my how i knew to look there for pink....
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The green does not look good I will try and change her mind to keeping it pink.

kipper76 constructive comments only...weird that is the the only post you have ever done on ozzu...wonder if you have been affliated with this site design before me and found it by searching Google :D ?

p.s. I did the icons myself thanks.
  • kipper76
  • Born
  • Born
  • kipper76

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for being so harsh, i had one of those heads on...the background looks loads better now. And if i may make a suggestion try the booking form in pale pinks or greys and mouse overs on your buttons would be nice....i am new here, and dont want to make enemies..
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol welcome to the forum m8

Apologies for getting paranoid its just the client had left one design agency or designer for me.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks much nicer than when I first looked. it's definitely more "together." good work on the changes.

I would still put the logo on the left of that white block. To the eye, you've got the top left is where naturally people are going to start. You might as well start there with the logo.
  • John Durrant
  • Born
  • Born
  • John Durrant

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design itself is rather eye catching and fairly neat. I would however like to comment on the content. Much of the text, the forms in the pop-up windows, terms and conditions, descriptions and pricing are a direct copy of a site which is already in existence - see http://www.thepamperparty.co.uk.

I am the designer of that website and the originator and owner of the content, processes and methodologies.

I am sure your client has not informed you of this fact, but feel it is something you need to be aware of. If the design in its current format ever sees the light of day I will be forced to take legal action against your client.

I hope you appreciate me bringing this to your attention now and I hope it doesn't put too much of a dampener on your excellent design work.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks John I will contact you in private and give you details (maybe I should have asked her for some money up front :x )
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks good to me. I rather like the color... :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers