SITE REVIEW: web design site

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I made a bunch of changes and pretty much redid my site based on your guys' reviews before.

Here's the new version.

Please let me know what you think or if you see any problems or issues with it.

Thanks!

-jameson
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, I can kind of remember what it looked like before. The body background kind of has that straw mat look, and with the rest of the neutral colors and the earth and water concept in the ying tang, it makes for a very attractive website. I still think it is cool how the other sights in your portfolio with the mouse over effects show up in the round part where the ying yang is. That's something that took some effort to do and it makes a good presentation for your business. Keep up the good work!
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! Yeah, it definitely took some time getting that rollover effect to work right in every different browser.
  • sk_1984
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks gud
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice. love the rollover - wish I knew how you did that :)

the only negative thing I'd say - it loads a little slowly, maybe you could optimize a bit more. but I suppose this is more of an issue for backward countries such as mine that still haven't got sufficiently fast internet lines....

one easy thing you could do to make it look neater for people with miserably slow net connections.... before it loads the yin-yang sign looks like a big white square. if that square could be a color similar to the background color, it wouldn't jar so much.....

as I say, this is probably not an issue in the US.......
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice! But I would add some more information about the site you've made, not just a link..
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
very nice. love the rollover - wish I knew how you did that :)

the only negative thing I'd say - it loads a little slowly, maybe you could optimize a bit more. but I suppose this is more of an issue for backward countries such as mine that still haven't got sufficiently fast internet lines....

one easy thing you could do to make it look neater for people with miserably slow net connections.... before it loads the yin-yang sign looks like a big white square. if that square could be a color similar to the background color, it wouldn't jar so much.....

as I say, this is probably not an issue in the US.......

Celandine,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I know the load time is a bit slow.. even in the U.S. ;) It was kind of a sacrifice.. I checked it at different optimization settings and the only one that didn't end up looking jagged and ugly for the round images in the portfolio page was PNG-24.

That's strange that the yin yang is showing a white square before it loads.. are you using Internet Explorer 6, by chance?

The rollovers definitely took a little time to figure out, especially in different browsers. I basically took the code used here, and played around with it until it worked right.

-jameson
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fabinator wrote:
Nice! But I would add some more information about the site you've made, not just a link..

Hey Fabinator,

Do you mean information in my original post to this thread? If so, what kind of information?
  • kokkada.com
  • Student
  • Student
  • kokkada.com
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

very slow load of your image.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh my ... Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict ... Nice One ... +1 point for jameson5555 ...

I really like the overall design of the site, there are a few things that bother me though ... on the "contact" page ... that form just checks that there is something filled in in those fields specified, but maybe just for the email-address you should chech that there is at least an at(@) and a dot(.) in there, because I just sent you a message with "rt" as my email address ... Then also on that form, the popup box that tells a user about the errors is a bit ugly against the rest of the site ... Maybe you can make it like the "thank you for contacting Macscapacity!" where it has a nice background and it is part of the page ... ?

You could also disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example if a user is on the "portfolio" page, you could disable the "portfolio" link and keep it in the rollover colour ...

Further than that ... Job well done ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah png24 is the only way to get reasonable transparencies.... yes I am on IE6, retro, I know......... :) and the white square is still there.... but it's not a major problem really.

otherwise it looks really neat. love the background - such subtle effects....

and - thanks for the code link! I'll see if I can make it work........... someday......
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Oh my ... Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict ... Nice One ... +1 point for jameson5555 ...

I really like the overall design of the site, there are a few things that bother me though ... on the "contact" page ... that form just checks that there is something filled in in those fields specified, but maybe just for the email-address you should chech that there is at least an at(@) and a dot(.) in there, because I just sent you a message with "rt" as my email address ... Then also on that form, the popup box that tells a user about the errors is a bit ugly against the rest of the site ... Maybe you can make it like the "thank you for contacting Macscapacity!" where it has a nice background and it is part of the page ... ?

You could also disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example if a user is on the "portfolio" page, you could disable the "portfolio" link and keep it in the rollover colour ...

Further than that ... Job well done ...

So you're rt! Should've known... :)

I know, I know.. I used some JavaScript as a quick field checker, but I really want to do all that with PHP like I did the confirmation message. Just haven't been able to figure it out yet..

Regarding disabling the links for the page the user is on.. I just turned the cursor into an arrow, which seems to have the same effect. Is it good now? I can't really disable the links entirely without redoing the whole page because I'm controlling their appearance with <a> classes in the CSS.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
yeah png24 is the only way to get reasonable transparencies.... yes I am on IE6, retro, I know......... :) and the white square is still there.... but it's not a major problem really.

otherwise it looks really neat. love the background - such subtle effects....

and - thanks for the code link! I'll see if I can make it work........... someday......

The reason for that white square in IE6 is the hack I'm using there to get the PNG transparencies to work at all. I figured I could get away with it for now, since before too long (hopefully) everyone will have finally moved from IE6 to IE7. 8)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose there's not a whole lot to say that hasn't been said already, but I just want to add that I had a VERY good first impression when I saw the site. The color scheme works well, and everything is positioned in a way that is simple and straightforward.

I love the rollover images.

I give your site two thumbs up, plus one for the valid markup, for a total of three thumbs up.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I suppose there's not a whole lot to say that hasn't been said already, but I just want to add that I had a VERY good first impression when I saw the site. The color scheme works well, and everything is positioned in a way that is simple and straightforward.

I love the rollover images.

I give your site two thumbs up, plus one for the valid markup, for a total of three thumbs up.

Wow, thanks Spork! :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameson5555 wrote:
So you're rt! Should've known... :)

Where did you hear about me?
jameson5555 wrote:
I know, I know.. I used some JavaScript as a quick field checker, but I really want to do all that with PHP like I did the confirmation message. Just haven't been able to figure it out yet..

Okay fair enough, that makes sense
jameson5555 wrote:
Regarding disabling the links for the page the user is on.. I just turned the cursor into an arrow, which seems to have the same effect. Is it good now? I can't really disable the links entirely without redoing the whole page because I'm controlling their appearance with <a> classes in the CSS.

It works for me ... Nice one ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks like you got a history with valid script. I think you pretty much have a nice reputation so far.

From a scale of 1-5 1 being the worst and 5 being the best I'd give you 3.5... nice images. I like your site.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_tresspasser wrote:
I just sent you a message with "rt" as my email address ...

... then ...
righteous_tresspasser wrote:
Where did you hear about me?

R_T you gotta be kidding me :lol: :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bahahahaha! What a lame mistake ... thanks Bogey ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Bahahahaha! What a lame mistake ... thanks Bogey ...

no problem :lol: just thought I'd bring it to your attention :)
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe.. yep, I should have figured out what the 'rt' stood for when I got that email.

Now if I could only figure out who 'fg' is...

I need to get that PHP finished!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers