SITE REVIEW: webconfection.com

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, give it to me straight :? :shock: Constructive feedback would be mucho appreciated :D

http://webconfection.com

Cheers, Prime ...
  • Lamia_Poi
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

load time perfect for me :)

clean design, nice color scheme, think it should be centered somewhat but otherwise great :)

i like the BG.

the site itself looks very professionally done :)
  • PAYUK
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • PAYUK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally do not like scrolling all the way down, then have to scroll all the way up before going to the next page. If this is inevitable (and it is'nt), I will also put the links at the top at the bottom (if you get my drift). Otherwise cool site.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys, points noted :D

Quote:
I personally do not like scrolling all the way down, then have to scroll all the way up before going to the next page. If this is inevitable (and it is'nt), I will also put the links at the top at the bottom (if you get my drift).

What screen resolution are you on PAYUK :?:

Cheers, Prime :shock: :D
  • Remindme
  • Remindme

Post 3+ Months Ago

My suggestion is to try and keep all content to one page....

Seems decent though, good luck..
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

make your images transparent background, so it doesn't cut into your background image.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

its nothing special but it does the job.

you should have some fance graphics and maby more interesting rollovers in the navigation

http://webconfection.com/images/remote.gif
that is funny...

not too much to say about this site
  • PatriciaBT
  • PatriciaBT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

you have interesting info in your site, this is value-added to give out some free information even when you sell products and services. Congratulations.

about the style, and this is only personal taste, I would prefer to see the content centered. I also do not like the bottom logo beiing in a dark grey square on a white background.

I'm also not too fond of all caps in the menu, and it's a bit dificult to differentiate top-level menu from second-level (sub-pages) menu.

You header has a big height and if you resize your browser to 800x600 (does still people have that low res?) the header will take almost all the window size. I know it's difficult to make smaller when you have a great header graphic, I had the same issue on one of the site I designed :)

beside this, your bottom links advertize your site is w3c xhtml and css compliant, but by clicking on it, the first page already have 64 errors (and if you do the same test with the webdesign page, w3c returns 454 errors!)

now the positive :) I like the look and feel your page give. difficult to explain why we feel at ease on some sites and not on others, but that's it. I think on your website, I like the esecially the font, people without "trebuchet" font will see with Verdana, which is a good choice (sans serif is always better than serif, so all ok here)

I hope my comments are constructive (you asked "give it to me straight", even if I often do not feel at ease to list the negative things on other people work :) ). May this help you a bit, just some adaptation, and the site will be a top-one.

Cheers
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the review, superb :!:

Quote:
the first page already have 64 errors (and if you do the same test with the webdesign page, w3c returns 454 errors!)

:oops: :? :shock: :lol: Oooooops.

You know what's like, you code on the fly and revisit the pages to validate later. I've obviously picked up a few bad habits along the way :roll: :lol: I've had to drop the validation to XHTML 1 (Trans) else i'll be here till Christmas :evil: (09) but i have managed to revisit the home page, it now validates OK - click here but it'll take me a while to bring this up to scratch. I'll do the webdesign page next :oops: :lol:

The guy who does the graphics is on holiday :cry: but i know he has somesort of flash development with multicoloured snowflakes falling down the banner monitor screen using a mask. A few people have mentioned they dont like scrolling down the screen. Got to admit, i've never tried to avoid it :roll: I'll ask him what he thinks about the height. As long as it fits width-ways on an 800*600 - gospel. Seen some nice sites developed on 1-page but they're normally flash driven and contain minimal info.

Thanks for the feedback - other points duly noted :D

Cheers, Prime ... :shock: :D
  • OKAJ
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • OKAJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site isn't that bad, but you are using cliché stock images that are all over the web for your banner. And the only other downside is the little clip art images you have. They make the site look really armature and not unique. Other than that, it's a pretty good site, good luck.
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I like the web ranking tool - it tells you simple info about how your site compares to all the others out there. I can see it uses Alexa rankings.

The site is quite nice, design is good and easy to understand etc.

One thing I would so is centre the content - it would just be more aesthetically pleasing.
  • PatriciaBT
  • PatriciaBT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the review, superb :!:

:) you are welcome!
  • sandpetra
  • sandpetra
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Accessible Website Design:

The site fails HTML + CSS validation, although passes Priority 1 A standard, effectively(!) making it UK DDA compliant.

Validate your HTML + CSS document to be sure.

The top bit of the home page looks great - but I dont like the bottom half! Purely my opinion of course.

You can test these here:

http://www.accessibility101.org.uk/free ... -tests.htm
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the feedback :D

Alot of people seem to agree it should be centered, and I'm not sure about the animations - i think OKAJs comment maybe right :cry:

Quote:
little clip art images you have. They make the site look really armature and not unique.

They're are not actually clipart but i know what you mean. Daffy animations or pictures of corporate guys and girls :?:

So it's back to the dungeons of darkness for me :cry: for a slight rework :roll: :D

Hey sandpetra :D

Quote:
The site fails HTML + CSS validation

Not true, try your links again :wink: :lol: but only on certain pages. It's an ongoing project.

Cheers, Prime ... :shock: :D
  • sandpetra
  • sandpetra
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

err...I've tested the home page url again. It still does not validate (only one error, though).

Need any help? You've forgot to close a tag.

Error Line 209 column 5: end tag for element "div" which is not open.

</div>

The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that element is not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end tag from an element that was removed during editing, or by an implicitly closed element (if you have an error related to an element being used where it is not allowed, this is almost certainly the case). In the latter case this error will disappear as soon as you fix the original problem.

If this error occured in a script section of your document, you should probably read this FAQ entry.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers