SITE REVIEW: Webmaster Brain

• webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please take a look at my site, and tell me what you think:

Anyway, here it is: www.webmasterbrain.com

It's basically free Webmaster/SEO tools to optimize your site for search engines, and do other time saving/useful stuff. I'm not really bothered about the design (as long as it's not messed up), it's more about the tools and content, so please comment on those (but you can comment on design if you like).

Be brutal, I don't care. Tell me what tools I could add, or how to improve the current ones, or anything else.

Thank you in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh, ok well, first off, If you dont like doing all those reviews for other people dont bother posting a site of your own. If you dont like having to review for others they shouldnt have to post a review for you.

Your website is good. There is a whole lotta white, and not much content. Its a very clean layout and thats good, but with all the white it seem REAL empty. While those are some handy programs I assume you are planning to expand your selections? If so you are off to a good start, if not u may want to look into it. All in all i rate it 4/10, clean but could use more content.
  • lerch
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lerch

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good. Great info for new webmasters. Like above alittle to much white. more text could work with it.
  • TheEyeOfIceMan
  • Loc: Fowler, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks ok, On first look though I would be tempted to leave just because of the lack of content. I would also suggest cleaning up the text a little bit in the center, but im sort of a clean freak so dont listen to me =P. Overall its good but it could use some more color and content like I said. :?
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

SharkShark wrote:
Uh, ok well, first off, If you dont like doing all those reviews for other people dont bother posting a site of your own. If you dont like having to review for others they shouldnt have to post a review for you.

Your website is good. There is a whole lotta white, and not much content. Its a very clean layout and thats good, but with all the white it seem REAL empty. While those are some handy programs I assume you are planning to expand your selections? If so you are off to a good start, if not u may want to look into it. All in all i rate it 4/10, clean but could use more content.

Thank you for your comments

First off I think I could have worded my first comment better, I meant it more literally as in "I would like to post a long introduce, but I've spent a so long reviewing other sites, I'm tired from posting" I was not meant to be a dig at the OZZO review policy (which I think is a good one).

Anyway, Thank you again for your comments. I've kept the website simple because I don't want to spend to much time working on the design aspect, but I defiantly gonna add a bit more color. And yes, I will be adding more tools.
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

TheEyeOfIceMan wrote:
It looks ok, On first look though I would be tempted to leave just because of the lack of content. I would also suggest cleaning up the text a little bit in the center, but im sort of a clean freak so dont listen to me =P. Overall its good but it could use some more color and content like I said. :?

Thanks for your comments.

Maybe if I place more emphasis on the tools, like having them occupy the main content area of the front page, that maybe would make the site appear more occupied? For now, I will add some colour, and (a lot) more tools.

Just added one tool recently : Proogle (PageRank Search Engine)
  • bannerpad
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bannerpad

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks very clean. However, it also seems like there is something missing. I can't really tell what though, maybe I'm used too used seeing something at the top right.

But, overall, it is a very good and clean site.
  • Fex
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice, I like the shades of blue. You should make alink from the Forums to the homepage though, so you don't have to delete the extension of the URL up in the address bar. Thats very effort requireing:)
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice and neat . I like the site a lot.
shades of blue fits.
the only thing is that I dont like too many dotted boxes.
remove one? - the top dotted box
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good, useful website. Well done. The only thing I don't like is the overabundance of white space.
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments so far, I will definitely be taking a lot of your advice.

I'm gonna be making some big improvements on it very soon.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looked like a good site to me. My only comment is that its rather generic, but I geuss all websites are. There are so MANY help forums with tools etc on them that you have to be EXTREMELY creative to be outstanding and start getting a lot of traffic. I would suggest perhaps a little of an off-white background, tool icons and pop-up descriptions for each of them etc. Just make it more userfriendly. You have to make the user WANT to stay at your site and not just continue on to somewhere else.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very, very good. Very sleek code. But I'm not sure why you resorted to using tables at all. If you truly want to teach optimization (not just SEO), I'd recommend optimizing your own website first. But I'm not sure if this is your game plan, so I'll just say you've done a good job so far. Keep it up.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may want to consider making your website more accessible though. For instance, links do better inside a list. They fall apart more gracefully and they fit the model of what they are (a list of pages) when they're inside ul's and li's than if you just use a br / to separate em.
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsv2com wrote:
Very, very good. Very sleek code. But I'm not sure why you resorted to using tables at all. If you truly want to teach optimization (not just SEO), I'd recommend optimizing your own website first. But I'm not sure if this is your game plan, so I'll just say you've done a good job so far. Keep it up.

Thanks.

You're right. The reason I used tables originally was because it saved me a hell of a lot of time, CSS would have taken me longer (especially all the browser compatibility testing you have to do with CSS). But when I have a spare day, I'll try to to re-code it in pure CSS, as you suggest.
  • Kevbocat
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kevbocat
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice site...seems like there is good content available but my critic if any would also be too much white space. Maybe some colour to spice it up a bit. The blue and white layout is good but maybe try experimenting with some other blue shades as well and try to incorporate them along the site to give it some more pizzaz.

All in all....good content and layout.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion it's a bit too plain and simple. Most people think that professional sites should ook something like that but i think it can still be stylish and professional. Although it depends on the type of viewers u want. One like me might just pass it without noticing it but i must admit that your content is good. just give it an actual layout one that others who now start designing(like me) can't just do in half an hour.
KeeP UP THE GOOD WORK THO.
  • mathjoy
  • mathjoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't you ever leave a forum empty , even if you shoot the first time.

thats it

Good luck
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for responding so slowly to comments in my own thread,

I will be making changes based on everyones helpful critique;

Especially the following:
-- Migrating to 99% pure CSS
-- More color
-- Less white-space

Thank you all
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

One little thing: the google ads box isn't quite the same colour as the background. I'm using mozilla, don't know if it's the same in IE.
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade wrote:
One little thing: the google ads box isn't quite the same colour as the background. I'm using mozilla, don't know if it's the same in IE.

OK, I fixed it, thanks. On my setup you don't notice the step in colour in any browser including Mozilla (but the HEX values where different though), so I guess it's depends on hardware (e.g. a higher contrasting monitor) to make it noticeable.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Brian

If your the same Brian who hangs out at at John Scotts http://www.internet-marketing-research.net the your content must none bull *plum* to the point and accurate.

As for the design its professional but un inspired in terms of design. Then again you are aiming for SEO readership and I they like design as long as it is clear and fast loading. Navigation is essential and I still think you can simplify it.
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
Hi Brian

If your the same Brian who hangs out at at John Scotts http://www.internet-marketing-research.net the your content must none bull *plum* to the point and accurate.

Not me, the name of the site is WebmasterBrain (crap name, I know).

Anyway, I'm working on a fresh design, but I have no idea when it will be completed.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's clean but to plain & empty.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

webmasterbrain wrote:
Not me, the name of the site is WebmasterBrain (crap name, I know).

Ahh I am still not with it after my trip to Amsterdam a day ago!
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings,

Great site.

I'm always looking for web sites that provide useful content and do not attack the visitor with ads. Granted, you have google ads, but you have blended those in quite nicely.

The site design is perfect. It is very clean and simple. More web sites should look to your web site as an example of WHAT is good to do. The graphics are small, but crisp. The navigation of the site is easy to use.

Overall an awesome site!
  • quietside
  • Loc: TAMPA, FLORIDA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site.. simple and to the point

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers