SITE REVIEW: Webmaster Forum

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would appreciate any feedback for Webmaster Forum (this site) found here:

http://www.ozzu.com/

Please let me know anything positive or negative about the site. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lachlanmullen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lachlanmullen

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, let me tell you about how much it sucks, just kidding.

i love this site. i recieved some good help with a depreciation script for my website, that got me started in the right direction.

this is by far the most well developed forum for webmasters, and it is very focused and deliberate. i also appreciate the admin doing a good job at kreeping it fresh and clean.

i personally don't like the dark colors, but that just comes down to personal preference. very very nice site.

another i use for my site is Niphal (http://www.niphal.com/), another very good one, but less focused than this, as they have a more overall mission for sites.

thanks ozzu

~L
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it seems like there are many people who say the same thing. The highest complaint I get from people is that they do not like dark colors. Everybody is always for the light colors. I am thinking about giving Ozzu visitors a choice to select between two types of design layouts for Ozzu which they would simply select in their preferences section. So for the people who like dark backgrounds they can keep this, and then for the people who like light backgrounds they can pick the alternative. Anyway thanks for the feedback :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like ozzu for a lot reasons, and probably too many to name. All that
being said, I'd like to list the few things that I'd like to see changed.

1. too many topics on the main page, but I think we're working on that.

2. the dark colors were cool at first, but really have grown old on me.

3. you need a REAL LOGO not just some words. I can help you out with
that. :wink:

4. can we fix the table size to a pixel width?

I really like the content and the direction of the board. It's a great place
to be and come for help. Thanks for making it!

/unflux
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure if anybody wants to offer a better logo just let me know what you got for it! I haven't put much time into that as you can see.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not offer up a contest? have people submit entries and vote on it.
winner gets a prize or something.

/unflux
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Idea I may have to do that, and as people submit Ideas I can make so that anybody can vote for their favorite, and then maybe at the end I will select the highest rated one and award a prize.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

voting was one idea, or you could just pick the one you like best. :wink:
  • RyTRiX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

its perfect :D
  • turdmonsterGIA
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The colors and logo needs to go! :D

You could get a template that would look better than this.. no offence. :(
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

we all agree GIA, and so do many more. Bigwebmaster's working on
getting alternate themes that each visitor can choose from their profile.

Just give the big guy a chance, ok?

pssst, bigwebmaster....
[hurry up, ok? - we're all getting impatient!]
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just so you realize, many people like this theme however, I have had people asking me where they can download this them because they want it for themselves.

Anyway everybody has their likes and dislikes. Some people hate dark themes while others hate light themes, and while others just like a particular style. Anyway I do plan on importing other themes so that forum members can choose exactly what style they like best. Give me some time though! :agrue:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, i didn't "we all" to be everyone on the forum. Just a
generalization to lead into my point of patience. I'm fine with the theme,
I promise. :D
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this thread is probably old, but I'm on a surfing/Reviewing spree here, and I just wanna let you know what I think.

I actually like nor dislike the colors, I know some people don't like certain colors, but I guess if I can read a site (which I can read this one)

and if the site does not cause temporary blindness (for example super bright colors) I will continue to visit a site.

I think the colors balance well and compliment the ease of use of this Forum. That brings me to my next comment...

I have been to a great many Forums in my web surfing days, probably more than I should have wasted my time on, I could have used my time in a better capacity. An I have got to say that this one is really one of the top Forums I have seen. I spent a lot of time reading on here last night while I was waiting for my activation e-mail, and I really found out how to use the Forum in a short time, and I feel like this Atmosphere is a really positive one with a couple of stragglers :) LOL

I like how the rules are prominently posted and are adhered to here, and I especially like how valuable the information all the posters have provided to everyone here.

The Forum is very user friendly and I really enjoy coming back!

RBeau
  • deFaye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deFaye
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

on design wise, id say any good one good with graphics and some knowledge of how to upload forums could do this site. i think that as this place hosts a range of expert designers, why havent you treated them and made this fully customized phpBB for the webmasters forum. as for content, i give it a 9/10 because its very helpfull.

compare this website with this one, http://www.alliedassault.com/phpBB2/ and i think you will be suprised! i have to say out of my forum experience, you need to put more categories into one. make it more chat based and not in the extream of specific, ie webmasters chat > java > pop up box chat, lol... we dont want to see extreame specific. maybe sometime you can make it a little smaller than it is. and create more of a homely feel.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi deFaye,

I appreciate the comments, however I am not sure I fully understand this part:

deFaye wrote:
think that as this place hosts a range of expert designers, why havent you treated them and made this fully customized phpBB for the webmasters forum

I really have no idea what the above means. Maybe you could clarify that point.

Anyway this forum is changing over time and I do seriously take suggestions to try to make the forum better. There used to be way more categories than there are now, and were even more specific. After talking to many individuals, the amount of topics in the forum grew smaller, and became broader to try to make it easier for people to find the right categories to post in.

So from what I gather, you think that the areas are still too specific. Maybe you can give me an example of a few categories that are currently on the forum that I should combine into one, and also give me the new name of that category. Thanks for the help :)

deFaye wrote:
on design wise, id say any good one good with graphics and some knowledge of how to upload forums could do this site.

I would agree there. I didn't even design this forum. I took one of the PHPBB templates and customized it from there (as you can see that the example site you gave is using the same basic layout). The main reason I didn't design Ozzu from the ground up for design is because I have way too many other projects that I am currently working on. My main goal was to get Ozzu up and running and starting to build a community of members who can help each other out. Over time I definetely plan to redo the entire design of Ozzu, and by that time this forum should be super active. I appreciate the comments on the design though, as I am curious if people like it or dislike it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have combined some topics. I combined the 2 hosting topics into 1 and moved it under Website Design and Development.

I combined the 3 programming categories into one and also moved it to Website Design and Development.

What do you guys think? Any others that should be combined? Do you guys agree with deFaye? I am completely open minded on this as I want this forum to be for everyone to benefit.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, since i found this forum i have been on it everyday to see what has been going on, but when it comes to design and graphics, i aint fussed. i only look for what is actually in the forum.
but they layout, i agree with defaye on that 1, i have noticed that people seem to post at the top of the forum but leave the bottom because they haven't noticed it is there.

just my opinion...i have even got http://www.ozzu.com as my homepage :P
  • deFaye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deFaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will gaze around now and come up with a complete list for you.
  • deFaye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deFaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

re-arrange the topics and categories to the listed:

Quote:
General Topics:

>Webmaster's Lobby

>Announcements

Website Design & Developement:

>Website Design Discussion

>Website Reviews

>Programming Help

>Website Hosting

>Graphics and Design Discussion

Operating Systems:

>MS Windows

>Unix and Linux

Search Engines:

>Lobby Discussion

Off Topic:

>Off-topic Discussion

>Competitions

>Suggestions Discussion

from realizing the faults in my idea, ive corrected some parts to see if i can still make you decide slower! :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

BWM - I like the way you have it right now (12:50PM) better then the other way because it isn't as spread out, and there should be less confusion where to put topics now. Looks great!
  • deFaye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deFaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like it more specific and to the point :) i hope bigweb desires the same as you too. i think it will work better, obviously he will know where to put the old posts.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that condensing down is good, however you have totally wiped out some topics like programming, which is a fairly active topic. Also what about operating systems like Windows and Linux? If you look at the posts they are very popular areas. Not sure I would want to wipe those out. Yours almost seems too general to me. Not sure though. I would like to know other people's opinions on this.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think what we have right now is perfect. What we had before was good, but like I stated before it was a little spread out on a few topics. If I had to choose between now and deFayes it'd be now.
  • deFaye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deFaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

im going to edit the post: and rethink again, im being a bit cheeky but only building on what u say is needed :)
  • deFaye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deFaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i re done it. remember, if you like the idea in general you can do what you want cant you. but my idea concentrates posters and gives them a place to find quickly with them knowing what they are going to ask/say. with a decreased forum size from 17 forums to 13. see what you think
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

your still missing photography and digital art, but what you have now is basically what bwm has.
  • deFaye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • deFaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

DOH. whats the point, if i add anymore its the same. might as well leave it as it is.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes but if you leave something out ther'll be a void :-P
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, well the forum is condensed down more than it used to be, so you comments still helped shaped the forum some deFaye :)

I am thinking that Drawing and Design AND Digital Art might be able to be combined to one topic. What do you guys think? Possibly combine Photography in there too and make the new topic called:

Drawing, Digital Art, and Photography
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers