SITE REVIEW: Webmaster-Guru.com

• webdesigns
  • webdesigns

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I would appreciate some help with my site. Here are the main attributes I'm looking for. If you see something else that needs work please let me know. Thanks.

1. Load time. I know the image at the top of the screen is large, but other than that how well does it load.

2. Scripts, do you have any errors show in the status bar. I have probably more javascripts that I should on the homepage, so please let me know if everything works fine for you. Should I make external .js files or is having the code okay on the main site?

3. I made the small popup windows so you wouldn't have to reload an entire page. Do you like that concept or would it be better to get rid of them all together?

4. Should I add more quotes on other pages or are the three I have enough / too many?

If anything else jumps out at you please let me know. Thank you for all the help and this great forum!

-Jon Harrison
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

loads extremely fast

i think that you should not put the Free CD link in the direct links menu since it is not really a part of your site therefore it's not really a direct link

The links on the frontpage are great but I think that you should have your own main content on the frontpage and put the links on another page.
  • ssw0420
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, great site. what can I say,
however, I would organize the
front page a little bit. A bit simpler,
break into bigger categories and
when clicked, deepens into details.
;)

9/10

Ah, with Free gifts, you could use
possibly collect leads ;)

Good luck.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the logo, however i think that the site might look better if you introduce some of them colours into the body of the site. what about red mouse overs on links?

You should use the banner to set the scheme for the rest of the site.

Its a good site tho.

One more thing. im looking at the site with a hight res, but people with lower res monitors might find it annoying.

Cheers

Tony
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

1.) Under five seconds, a little long but not bad.
2.) No errors on the main page.
3.) Lose them, I'd rather wait for the page to relaod rather then have windows comming up.
4.) I'd randomize the quotes, and have only one in the body, maybe by server side scripting so the page doesn't take much longer to load.

I like what you've done so far. I especially like the tables and how they highlight. Good job!
  • mmelen
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mmelen
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great site. I would recommend getting a better template but otherwise I liked the site...
  • webdesigns
  • webdesigns

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I am going to color code the mouseover effects per section.

ssw0420 - "A bit simpler,
break into bigger categories and
when clicked, deepens into details. "

I plan on doing this with the two main sections and then have them color coded per page.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bet you could cut your download time in 1/3 (or even 1/2) by gitting rid of most of your html markup and using css instead.

You're source code is exhausting.
  • abcigs
  • Loc: Pentwater, MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

All in All the site looks great... It did seem to "lag" for about 15 seconds after loading the header image, before it showed the rest of the page. (couldn've just been a lag in my connection too) I think I would work on organizing the links that are somewhat "floating" at the bottom of the page... might help it look a little cleaner. Other than those couple things, I think it's a great site.

J Marsh
  • elcunto
  • elcunto

Post 3+ Months Ago

I;m not too sure
  • webdesigns
  • webdesigns

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings all,

I have made a few changes to the code. Please let me know if the page loads faster now. I took the advice to use CSS as I should have in the start. It shrank the page size considerably.

I was wondering what the best way might be to get people to sign up for the automated Add-Your-Link section. It's a good way for people to get their site listed, but I haven't figured out the best way to display the option.

Anymore comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anything I should remove or add?

Thanks again,
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent job on the css and cutting filesize. Keep working on it and you'll be able to get rid of all of your font and other attribute tags as well. Also, you could do the majority of your layout in one three-columned table with the rest done with css. Good luck.
  • favouritelink
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: seattle

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks oke only I don't like that I first have to sign up with your site before I can see more.....
  • webdesigns
  • webdesigns

Post 3+ Months Ago

Favourite Link,

Thank you for your comment. The requirement to sign up before proceeding to the rest of the site has proven to be quite successful in getting more helpful suggestions and feedback from my visitors.

If you think of a way I may ease the pain of having to sign up without removing that feature let me know please.

Thanks for your help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers