SITE REVIEW: Webmaster Tips

• tvcrazyman
  • tvcrazyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi you all. My site is all about webmaster tips, articles, free scripts, etc. It's still a work in progress so I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions I could get on it. http://www.webmastertips.us
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Useful!

Good work, nice easy tutorials to follow, especially for beginners. I would make the site a bit more organized and more images.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to ozzu tvcrazyman!
The site totally lacks attraction. I know its a bit harsh but i dont see any layout at all. Its not well aligned at all , the left navigation bar should go a bit more down , aligned with the content bar. White pages dont attract me much , and these sorts of pages dont spawn much visitors. Adding a layout and changing thr color scheme would help you to improve you site. Moreover try adding a better title to the page improving search engine hits. Best of Luck !
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site's got a lot of useful information but needs a layout to show that you are a great webmaster yourself. Try downloading a layout and use the homepage to talk about all aspects of webmastering. Your image of Scrat and the keyboard cracked me up, but you'll want to be careful about copyright infringment (yes, an arctic rat can be trademarked). Design some cool buttons (maybe flash or rollover. I would space out the content on each page as well. You're off to a great start!
  • SplitMedia
  • SplitMedia
  • Loc: Split-Media.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

This site has a lot of potential But...

1. You have no contact information
2. You don't have a nice, web"master" template/website design.
3. If someone wanted to have something added to your site, there is no way of doing that.
4. If someone wants to post comments, or suggestions, theres no way of doing that either..
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

As said above, the only really big red flag I see is the copyrightten character holding the keyboard (he's the squirrel from "Ice Age" isn't he?). If you start making money, or look like you're trying to make money, you could be asked to pay royalties or remove it. Make sure no other images you have are copywritten (don't take chances on that one unless you can claim parody - and in your case I don't think you do).

Otherwise the site overall looks pretty good. I agree that the layout needs some work. Your header title sort of disappears in front of the graphcs (gray on gray doesn't make for much of a contrast). Also you inconsistently refer to both a "Message Board" and a "Forum". You might want to stick to one term so as not to confuse users (I scrolled down and saw "latest forum posts" and then scrolled back up to look for a "forum" link - it took me a bit to find "Message Board" because I was looking for "Forum". Also, the guy in the suit is a nice touch, but is he a necessary one? Is he the mascot of the site or is the copywritten squirrel the mascot? Or do they work together? Right now it looks like the squirrel is fearfully protecting his keyboard from the nice man (which makes the nice man seem a little creepy). These aren't huge issues, but if you want to create a definite lasting image for visitors then you probably want to go with either the man or the squirrel, not both, as site mascots or logos (I would recommend dropping the copywritten squirrel, cool as he is; you could always create a variation on him).

Plus, your forum subjects are pretty general and don't invite a lot of interest. For example, just calling a forum "Spam" or "Web Stats" doesn't communicate much. I've seen forums use titles such as "KILL Spam!!" or "SPAM SPAM SPAM LOVELY SPAM!!" to draw attention.

Just my dos centavos! The most important thing is to keep going and improving. :D
  • Spoorzoeker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

A nice site, but you forgot something: webmastertips!. :evil: :evil:

A good site is a site without adverts.
  • Gaminglegend
  • Gaminglegend
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not much of a fan of the design - it is a bit messy and plain. You appear of offer some solid content, however, which is certainly a plus.
  • gfawce1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: York, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good effort! You've got the content, you just reall need to think about the design and layout now.

- First tip, centered content is very hard to read and there has to be a good reason for large blocks of content to be center aligned.

- The menu needs to be left aligned and would look much better if you could turn it into a bulleted list.

- The header and logo just don't work I'm afraid. You have a clear site name which is good but it needs brining together. The header leads too much into the content too. They need to be seperated. Try keeping your logo small (instead of stretching it out across the whole body width) and use a nice business abstract for the header.

- Coding mistake here right at the top of the body content:

Code: [ Select ]
<div align="center">
 <center>
  1. <div align="center">
  2.  <center>

Appart from both methods being deprecated (no longer guaranteed to be supported in future browsers/devices) stick with just 1 method of centering. This should ideally be done with CSS.

- You also make frequent use of the font tag - also deprecated and considered very bad practice. Some excellent resources to get these mistakes sorted out can be found at http://www.w3schools.com/

Do a bit of reading, a bit of learning and you'll do far better! Hey, everyone's a critic :wink:
  • tvcrazyman
  • tvcrazyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I'm not an expert when it comes to layout, but I'm still working on it. I changed the logo. I'm trying out our family pet as our mascot.

As far as posting comments, that can be done on the message board. Visitors can also post their scripts in the scripts section, and there is a submit page for articles as well.

I've decided to allow visitors to post links to their sites in exchange for a web host review. http://www.webmastertips.us/messageboard/forum3.htm

Still a work in progress. I appreciate all of your comments. My main concern though is the content. I hope to give fellow webmasters a great resource. I know though this is going to take quite a while, but you have to take one day at a time.
  • gfawce1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: York, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but you have to take one day at a time

Couldn't agree more! :)
  • tulip4heaven
  • Born
  • Born
  • tulip4heaven
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Informative site for webmasters :)
You can add your site @
//link removed
Thanks

//mod edit: please don't spam in other ppl's threads
  • tf76
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the idea is great, but you need to work on your layout.
I'd think about getting rid of the center alignment for the text and maybe left or right alignment. Probably needs abit of colour as well.
Keep going

:D
  • sitetoolss
  • sitetoolss

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not like the design of your site ,it seens too simple and you should do more for your navigation.
  • emil2k
  • emil2k

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think its to cluttered too many repeating pictures
  • tateusmaximus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

im not sure about the whole dog thing...
i think it also needs to be tidied up at the footer. i feel as thought the page is still loading when in actual fact its done.
i agree. lose the centre alignment on the copy text. i also think the font may be a little too big.

the content seems to be quite good though. very informative.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers