SITE REVIEW: Website Auction Hub

• bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.websiteauctionhub.com
This website is a mild mod of the basic php forum script with a resource section added that is a heavy mod of a php link exchange script.
Right now it lacks content but eventually I plan on making it a place where people can make a website using the resources section and than sell it on the forum section. Or buy a website and make it better by using the resources.
Please let me know if things look good in browsers other than IE. I spent a lot of time fussing with css to get the mods to work so there might be some problems.
Thanks a lot!
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added the ability to attach files to the posts. Some people have suggested putting somethign up about protecting the buyers and sellers on the site. I was thinking maybe some sort of escrow service... any suggestions?
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Your site loads and looks fine in Firefox. I like the colours, the site is very easy to navigate and is set out well. The load time is a bit slow for me, but overall I like the site.

Now you just need some members!
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thepurplecow wrote:
Hi,

Your site loads and looks fine in Firefox. I like the colours, the site is very easy to navigate and is set out well. The load time is a bit slow for me, but overall I like the site.

Now you just need some members!

Thanks for the feedback! With FireFox, did you use Linux or Windoze? Also if you know of any good webmaster hangout places besides OZZU please let me know.
  • masterchief4
  • Born
  • Born
  • masterchief4

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of the best forums for auctioning ive ever seen( the only one ive seen)
good luck!
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

WAH has a Blogg now ... I will keep you posted about the outcommings of blogg advertisement and back links.
  • wphilipw
  • Student
  • Student
  • wphilipw
  • Loc: PA, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

website is just fine in FireFox/Win32(XP) and in IE/Win32(XP)

the color scheme and header draw in nicely, softer grey color is easy on the eyes, and though phpBB is well known, I think this may be an ok use of it, especially since you are not using the standard colors.
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

wphilipw wrote:
website is just fine in FireFox/Win32(XP) and in IE/Win32(XP)

the color scheme and header draw in nicely, softer grey color is easy on the eyes, and though phpBB is well known, I think this may be an ok use of it, especially since you are not using the standard colors.

Thanks, it was just a quick wy to get something where users coud talk to eachother and start auctions, I am planing on heavily modifying it to make it better for auctions.
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yay, WAH has a blog now
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

A couple of good webmaster sites are http://www.sitepoint.com and http://www.namepros.com. If you regsiter with them (if you haven't already) please put 'thepurplecow' as your referrer.

Thanks!
  • CodyRo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a huge fan of the portal / forum only sites, not sure why. When I see them I assume it's a quick knockoff to make a quick buck. It would be nicer if you could get a developed site that has all of the features a auction site should have.

The good part is you didn't bombard it with ads in unsavory places.

Hope this helps :)
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thepurplecow wrote:
Hi,

A couple of good webmaster sites are http://www.sitepoint.com and http://www.namepros.com. If you regsiter with them (if you haven't already) please put 'thepurplecow' as your referrer.

Thanks!

Already a member and yes, they are great sites!
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

bookatechie wrote:
thepurplecow wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Already a member and yes, they are great sites!

I'm trying to make it sort of a hybrid... I have been working on adding auction features like quick bidding and bid history but those are just for members.
Also I started bloging to add original content and the resource setion is to take advantage of the great stuff that is aout there already.
  • Birmingham
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Birmingham, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

site takes a while to load, isn't text scalable in MSIE (bad for accessibility), logo is good, theme can be interesting to some people, and background image comes straight out of sony.net !

using relative font sizes would be a huge improvement.
  • gsgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gsgfx
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

As mentioned before, the loading time is a bit too much but I simply love the design...It works great in IE and Firefox...good luck....
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The loading is a little strange ... from now on can people please post what country they are in? Thank you!
  • supercoltsfan
  • supercoltsfan
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it does seem to take a little longer than usual to load. Not sure why. Once it does load, everything looks and seems to work just great. Nice site and good luck!
  • tigrrra
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: in front of the computer

Post 3+ Months Ago

it looks nice and clean but i would look into redesigning you main header graphic.
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

When experiencing load time issues can you please post what country you are in? Thank you!
I think it is a geographical problem.
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

WAH is growing so we decided to update the interface and improve the navigation.
  • PoorcH-Richard
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • PoorcH-Richard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Loads fine for me here in the UK 2MB Connection.
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

There has been a redesign :)
  • NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

you cannot be serious! this is just a blatent rip-off of digg.com?!?! have i missed something? sad, sad...
  • Ralle
  • Student
  • Student
  • Ralle

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice bookatechie.
All the sites listed here looks great!
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

NetzzJD wrote:
you cannot be serious! this is just a blatent rip-off of digg.com?!?! have i missed something? sad, sad...

It is based on the Digg style but we have been making modifications and will continue to customize it for usability. Digg actually doesnt care if the site looks similar (since they didnt exactly come up with everything on their ovn) as long as the name of the site is digg free.
  • zerodaydeals
  • Born
  • Born
  • zerodaydeals
  • Loc: http://www.zerodaydeals.com/

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design looks very good overall as far as im concerned. Page seems kinda long though
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

zerodaydeals wrote:
The design looks very good overall as far as im concerned. Page seems kinda long though

Thank you! With over 150 auctions added every day, I can't even display one days worth without the page beeing about 3 times the size it is now, I was thinking of pagination but then they can just go to the forum and get that. Suggestions?

Thank you!
  • bookatechie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have a news letter now alnog with several new services such as website broker and escrow service.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers