SITE REVIEW: wedevoy.com

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site's programming aspect is still in creation and some pages and systems are still waiting to be created... so I started on this a bit early but I'm getting impatient :lol:

What I want is the review on design right now... I want to know all of the bugs I did on the design... and any other thing about the design that might kick the users away from my site...

http://www.wedevoy.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Way too many different fonts. There`s 3 just in the logo!
2) Chuck in some padding on your main content box. It doesn`t look too off on the main page because there`s a bit of content to offset it, but if you navigate to a less contenty page the padding (or lack thereof) looks unprofessional.
3) As the site is "floating" in the background, you may want to try putting another page break or line break above the design, just to space it out a bit more from the top and have less of a gap at the bottom.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) I didn't knew that that was a problem... To tell you the truth that is the only place where the font is different (Other than the forum but that's because I use <pre>...</pre> there and that tag makes the font different. I gotta find some code to fix that... (Does the logo really look bad?).

2) Thanks for that... should have done that when I put some padding to the navigation. {Should be fixed}

3) Good... thanks for that as well... {Should be fixed}
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site somehow looks antiquated to me - especially the form submit/reset buttons, whose background reminds me of RISC OS - see this screenshot. Apart from that, I think it's the font and colours (yellow and bright green over a green background) that are killing the design.

Ok enough negatives! :) I should admit I like the "Wedevoy" font and the border of the log-in form with its nice shadow.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: I was always bad with colors and always in need of suggestions. Will you be kind enough to suggest the right color for the text? I always seem to have some problems with that.

I changed the form elements some... what do you think now?
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) I don't think I'm the right person to suggest colours. Someone else will come along soon...
  • temeku_graphics
  • temeku_graphics

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Bogey.

On the plus side, your website is simple and straight forward. It's not hard to get around.

From a design standpoint, it needs work in my opinion. Starting with that logo, as there is just way too much going on. It's too bulky. The warped text, where it says "quality in every design" is hard to read and may be contradicting to users. I suggest maybe moving the coffee cup to the left of the text, rather than beneath it.

The overall design, background and all is very green screen, old school. For a Web Development Tutorial site in this modern web 2.0+ ERA, I don't know how well it will fare with users. Design toward your target audience. You can use the colors you want in your design, just be smart with them. Green background with green text does not mesh. Use elements of green and yellow, but don't make it be the entire design.

Best of luck on your website.
  • p7
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • p7

Post 3+ Months Ago

About the colors this makes the homepage a little hard to read.

Now there are several different ways to go with this.

Have a background color of either green which it is now or yellow.

The green seems a little dark to me for some reason but that is just me.

The green and yellow are pretty contrasting colors which is good because it makes it easier to read.

I found it much easier to read the parts that had a yellow font than having a greenish font on a green background color. Not that I could not read it but it was just easier to read the part in yellow.

I am sure web developers have to drink a lot of coffee but I don't see what that has to do with your Website.

I noticed several things on your register page.

I think it would be a good idea where it says do you agree to our terms of services that you have a link to it right there if a person has not read that part of your Website. This also goes for agreeing to the sites privacy policy as well.

You also have a misspelling at the bottom of your register page as well. In the first part I think you meant to say web developers.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings! You are making this tough because you give a lot of help and good advice. So let me start with the positives:
The code is very nice. It validates and is very tidy. As well as the CSS. Nice job.
But as for the design, the colors don't work. The are too strong. And too much green. The layout looks a little dated with the textures and embossing. And the content has some language errors. I think you could have something solid if you re-worked the design.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright alright... thanks guys :D I guess I'm not much of a designer :lol:

I'm redesigning my site (Going to make like 2+ designs) and have a poll to see which one is preferred... thanks for the honest reviews... don't hold anything back :)

[EDIT:] The new design(s)/layout(s) would be simple. (I'm using kuler.adobe.com :D )
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mock them up in photoshop or something.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
Mock them up in photoshop or something.

That's what I'm doing :D

I'll code the one that gets the most votes on for :)
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

But first do some research. I like to do sketches first actually. Then a mock-up. But before the mock-up, I like to look for inspiration. In the form of another website, magazine ads, tutorials. You don't have to over do the eye candy with ever Web 2.0 cliche, but give it a little something.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it would hurt to read some of the tips on http://webdesignfromscratch.com/web-2.0-design-style-guide.cfm
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ho does this looks like?

@cipher: Thanks for that link...
  • andreas_007us
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • andreas_007us