SITE REVIEW: What-Is-What redone, including IE support

• dotancohen
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Haifa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I post this message as a new thread because of the major code changes to http://what-is-what.com . I hope that the Ozzu administration sees this as a new subject, as I do, as the comments in the previous thread are no longer relevant.

Due to the many complaints about the lack of Internet Explorer support, I have recoded the website again. Most of the CSS code is from the excellent website PostitionIsEverything. However, I have taken great pains to meet these four goals with the new code, in this order of importance:
1) XHTML Strict Doctype
2) Content as high up in the code as possible
3) Internet Explorer support.
4) Design as similar as possible to the original

I would appreciate all comments regarding the layout, and display issues if anybody encounters them. Screenshots of different platforms would be nice. I have tested in Firefox 2.x, Opera 8.x and 9.x, Konquerer 3.5.x, Lynx, IE6, and IE7. All tests were performed on Ubuntu Linux, with IE running in virtual machines in VMWare.

Please, be harsh. Tell me about problems that you encounter, and things that could be made better. Note that I retain the IE-warning text to user agents that parse as IE. This is because I have spent over 9 hours making the site display in IE, after less than 2 hours' work coding for standards-compliant browsers such as Firefox and Opera. There is a good chance that the next update will not get that attention.

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are there still two search boxes?
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site. Will need to have a lot more content
  • dotancohen
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Haifa

Post 3+ Months Ago

@murcielagossi: The site has two search boxes to encourage their use. Users rarely look at the top right of the page, and the only thing that I could put there would be an item that I have in another place as well. Leaving it blank made the page seem too sparse.

@john551: I try to add content at least twice a week. I'm finishing up an article on NASA, it should be up in the next few hours.

Any critisism regarding the layout, or display problems?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers