SITE REVIEW: Whatsonext.com

• spyder99
  • Born
  • Born
  • spyder99
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just thought i'd get some opinions on a site that I helped out with.

Whatsonext.com

It's a TV discussion forum. Chatting about the latest TV shows.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. Comments about design and increasing membership are appreciated. And you're welcome to join if you want.

I'm considering adding accent colors of a maroon or red to the site. In the buttons and in the bars.

Thanks in advance :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• noxealia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Spring, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, your site looks awesome, love the colors. You should consider getting a black background, or a black to white gradient background, either will look great. Also consider expanding the forums a little more. Have you considered using phpBB2 or vBulletin? Well if you don't feel like using those you should atleast register your copy of Inivision Boards, it should tell you how in the admin! Mainly because your a forums site, it looks unprofessional to have that (Powered by Invision Power Board) at the top of the page(s). I highly reccomend phpBB2 or vBulletin, very professional. Now for vBulletin you pay a fee but I'm pretty sure its a one time fee, $100 or less(quite sure) here's the link to their site: http://www.vbulletin.com.
Alright now phpBB2 is great, mainly because it's free and it looks fantastic. Also they don't advertise on your site, they just have their copyright at the bottom. Here's their site: http://www.phpbb.com. Now your hosting should come with that in Fantastico or Scripta.

Anyway, you should consider adding a Submit New Show forum at the bottom of each different type of show, so that people can submit a show they like to talk about if you don't have it. Also add more shows anyway, that's about all I can say for now, need anymore help e-mail me at noxealia@noxealia.com. Or you can just visit my forums and post(I check forums more often) http://forums.noxealia.com.

Good luck with the site! 8)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yake out the little blue line that is under the topic/forum titles. It looks out of place.
  • paulk
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • paulk
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really like the black colors on the font & up top. If it was my site I'd probably change those colors around into something more appealing as far as colors are concerned. Otherwise looks good!
  • yanuart
  • yanuart

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm... What's wrong with the title ? You need to smooth the "o" on "What's on next" it looks sketchy and pixelate..

The site's design is awesome though.. I hope I can make one like that myself
  • implix
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • implix
  • Loc: Poland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your design is absolutely stunning,
and the way you have chosen the colors
is superb.

Something I would change would be to
emphasize more on registration for those
that are new visitors.

I am sure you can increase your conversion
rates significantly if you only put more focus
on promoting "Register here" buttons and
links, and making it easier for your visitors
to join your community.

Overall though - great job!
  • Jade456
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could perhaps set up links to fan sites for different shows, have downloads of wallpapers, icons, sounds, pointers, etc. Definitely allow new topic posts under TV Series. Most of my favorite shows are missing. Perhaps a segment for best new show on TV (LOST, anyone?) Links to online TV listings, hardware review on TV capture, broadcast equipment, etc.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suggestions:

- Change the font on the top navbar it's hard to read

- The font on the "O" in the title looks off compared to the others

- In the FAQ section you forgot to remove the dashes off the first 3 items

- Why do the Terms of Service & Privacy Policy pages open in a new window?

I really enjoy the clean crisp fast loading layout :)
  • Anjel
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

i love the ...layout.. its very.. "in place"...
as i'm very...chaotic
  • spyder99
  • Born
  • Born
  • spyder99
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all for the input. Your opinions have been super helpful.

I'm still working on the logo. I'll try to get that done in the next two weeks.

---

To give the site a bit more kick. I added a lot more color. It's kind of a blue/green/gray color..

Almost 1/2 the graphics were replaced.

Hopefully you guyz still like it :P

Quote:
You could perhaps set up links to fan sites for different shows, have downloads of wallpapers, icons, sounds, pointers, etc. Definitely allow new topic posts under TV Series. Most of my favorite shows are missing. Perhaps a segment for best new show on TV (LOST, anyone?) Links to online TV listings, hardware review on TV capture, broadcast equipment, etc.

I added some new forums for specific TV shows, for now what i'm doing is waiting till there's some chat about a show in the General TV talk. Then going ahead and creating a forum for it. Thanks for the advice on the links to other sites. I should probably do some more work on that.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a bad site. Feels a bit lonely though (don't ask me what that means!).

Just one thing - when clicking on any links in the main menu (eg, search, calendar, etc) the gifs seem to compress and dissappear for a second before directing you to the required page. Looks like your mouseover images aren't working.

FYI --> I'm running IE 6.
  • Ravanol
  • Ravanol

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the style on your forums, and your logo is excellent.

I would perhaps make the fonts on the top tab buttons a little larger...

Rav.
  • 123rank
  • Born
  • Born
  • 123rank

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great site. One thing though, the lines (underlines) for the title of each subject seems to be kinda taking part of the characters. For example, "TV Chat" seems to be cut off 1 or 2 pixels by the underline. Otherwise, nice site.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your forum. You chose a very nice theme. The idea of the site is very clever. I might have to take a look at it from time to time. I've looked for site's just like this. Now I found one. Do you have a south park thread?
  • Stalin_q8
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Kuwait

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool cool , keep up the good work ;)
  • vrajesh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Really fast loading even in dialup. I like it. Please remove the powered by blah blahs in your title. Btw, why don't you go for any CMS and forum. it is lot better running a cms with forum. I am running Mambo open source cms. It is excellent. Catch me if you want to more about it.

Regards,

Vrajesh
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very good looking site! Design looks very professional, and I like the way that the IPB style works great with the design.

You should consider using phpbb though. IPB costs a lot of money, and it isn't too much better than phpbb. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers