SITE REVIEW: Woody Web

• daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, this is my site, Woody Web. I've been thru various vers of it, this is the latest.... flash version currently under development. Please review with as much detail as possible, I want to improve!
http://www.woodyweb.co.uk/

Btw, im mor of a coder than a designer, in case thts not too obvious. :twisted:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

uh, can we have a link please?
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: The bosom of Dixie.

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a link to it in his profile.

But, yeah an obvious link would have been nice.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Swish intro is a bit overdone, the text effects look pre-rendered, and the multiple overlapping of the same text is kind of redundant and unprofessional looking.

Change the blue background to white. Or dark blue. But as it is now it's way too much blue.

Your advertisement looks bad in Firefox (I'm assuming you didnt test this in browsers other than IE), and I can't see the links at the bottom of the page. The links (dark grey) are very hard to read.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like the flash / swish intro - what does it offer your users? Not a whole heap in my opinion.

but your actual site looks ok
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firefox users are going to have a hard time navigating the site with a busted menu. The "Are you lost" dropdown is about 3 pixels tall untill you click it. Iframes are off in firefox as well (I know, iframes are a pain in the ass between browsers..)

For me, intros are meant for introducing the interface without simply ploping a page on the screen. The way you have yours makes it feel like a popup ad, or the ads before a movie.

The overall aperance of the site is a little rough around the edges, that with the abundance of offsite links to normally onsite features I assume you're still fairly new at this.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

The grey font on the blue background is very hard to read.

Your affiliates graphics are too close together with all those colours my eyes are confused, try adding a br between them or something

In your advert box, you have a horizontal scrollbar. Not really necessary just make that table a little bit wider and it will be fine.

You've got too many different fonts going on. Pick one and stick to it to keep your site consistent.

I'm not sure I like the way you have your content displaying on the welcoming page. Your News & Updates should be the frist title and everything above that section shold go right under it. I am unclear as to why you seperated the News & Updatessince the content above that frame seems to be updates and news as well.

You've got an empty <TD></TD> tag at the bottom, if you're not going to put content in it put a &nbsp; or remove it all together.

I'm not sure I like the purple on the blue background....

I guess you haven't added any subsections yet as none of the links work.

Your second affiliate button is illegible. Change the font.

There is a footer but I can barely see it in FF.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

With hyperlinks unreadable and a menu that does not work, this site is 100% useless. Also, images should have meaningful alt attributes.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

kill the intro & image navigation (replace that with text nav) Add a little more diversity to your pallet
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i was meaning to replace the intro.. but my trial ran out lol :oops:

as to the other comments, cheers there enlightenning. i intend to make sum1 who actually has design sense make the next ver!

no, i didnt test in ne otha browsers... i got lazy.

cheers for all the feedback!
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohhh GOD Words! Everywhere, Flasking in an out.... ahhh....

But anyway once you get past the ...erm... intro. you get to this obviously well thought out home page.

I really detest the color scheme... it messes up my eyes...

I like how you navigation works, It is easy to work in my opinion, and it is easy for me to keep track of where I am in the website...

That is a neat thing you have with your affiliates banners... the way they shadow (your "on.mouseover" thingy)

I especially your idea of the drop down menu called "are you lost?" I think I may use your idea if you do not mind :)

I would seriously think about your color scheme... but my opinion may be the only one like it out of a million viewers.
  • NicLiew
  • NicLiew
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ack, the site takes awhile to load eh? the graphics in the website tend to take abit of time to load even on cable. Erm... Where to start, lets see, i skipped the intro, wasn't too flash but it doesn't have to be i guess. On the main page, the gradient changing from blue to white or white to blue, depending on which way you look at it is abit out of place, tends to stand out a little too much.

I can see some remains of links at the bottom of the page that i'm assuming was cut off by either the way you coded it or the way firefox loads the site. Might want to fix that up.

The text is a little hard to read as the grey (i think it is?) does not work that well on the blue. I would increase the width in the frame with the google ad in it as the google ad forces the frame to have a scroll bar.

What resolution was this site made in? Might be more than 1024 x 768 (which is what i use) because alot of the frames have scroll bars (unless that was intended).

Other than the loading speeds and the frame scroll bars, there's nothing much else to comment on. I don't tend to like the 3D graphics surrounding your site and your text. I tend to think that those sort of things are what you use when you first discover photoshop and it shows how much experience you have with a graphics program. But that's just me, i hate any 3D graphics heh, unless they are made in 3D programs such as 3D studio max ;)

Goodluck in the future with your website!
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

loads somewhat slow on the cable modem i am currently using

Menu doesn't let me select an item. It disappears after I move the mouse towards an item I want to select. Quite frustrating.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers