SITE REVIEW: World Kit Intro (Flash)

• tvfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be gentle with me, i know i still have to work a lot on the website...
What do i have to change, add, remove maybe ?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darkcleric
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • darkcleric

Post 3+ Months Ago

The drop down menus do not display correctly in Fire Fox
  • tvfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkcleric wrote:
The drop down menus do not display correctly in Fire Fox

Thanks, already fixed that.
Waiting for next suggestion please.
  • Elite Skills
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Elite Skills

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the cute icons. The site looks very promising. It's a little slow, yes. I think the big globe on the main page is a little much. At least make it more transparent maybe.

The flash intro was neat, but I only clicked on the top corner icon by fluke.
  • tvfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any other suggestion please ?
  • Mythos
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Mythos

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice design. Looks pretty proffesional.
It also is nice and clean.
Fir inprovements? I think it's quite good already, you simply need to get some more members to register at your site, so that more poeple will post news and such on there.
Also the forum layout fits perfect with the site.
You ask us to be gentle with you, but well, it's a nice and clean site.
With clean I mean that the layout is good and that it is easy to navigate trough.
  • ScionStatic
  • Born
  • Born
  • ScionStatic

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it, but a cool new banner would make it look even nicer. If you want me to make you one, just PM or e-mail me at

scionstatic@gmail.com

Are there supposed to be drop down menue's? Because they wont work for me in the navigation. I use Opera 8.0 Beta.

God bless,
David
  • tvfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for reviewing my site.
About the drop down menus, well, i deleted them. You should see only normal links now. I think is better this way, more clean and easy to navigate.
PS. I sent you an e-mails about the banner, i know i have to change it.

Thanks again everyone.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing I thought was that it would be such a bonus if you had a .tv domain. It would suit your site's goal to a tee! Ah well, take what you can get. To the site. Not bad, good colors and relatively good navigation. I would consider renaming that Recent Topics portion to Hot Topics just to throw off a little flare and allure. Then where you have the 2 links (more...; Visit Forums), first of all, take off that semi-colon, it looks unprofessional. Second, rename "more" to "More Hot Topics" and leave a little space after that, then put "or Visit The Forums".

On that same index page, align the content in the Visitors box to the left, to keep it consistent with the rest of the page. The News link leads to absolutely nowhere. Do I need to be logged in to see something or is it just a blank white page? Either make it a dead link (<a href="#">) or dont put it at all, its quite unprofessional. Another problem with the News link, if I click on the News link at the top (and not the News link you have in the boxed menu) I probably would'nt have noticed the 2 new options you have for that portion (Submit News and Archive). Not good navigation techniques.

The Newest Members box should be changed to the Newest Member as it only shows the latest member who joined. Thats just my anal'ness talking though, not a mandatory change. I'm not sure how long the images in the Fun Games portion would take a 56K'er to load, but you sure include a lof of image links to a lot of games. Are all the link necessary? Does it even relate to your site? The forum itself looks good, I like the rollover effects it provides, very cool.

I think in general you have a good thing going. I'd work on adding a little more color or images to offset all of the white. But you've done a good job with the site.
  • chrysty
  • chrysty
  • Loc: West Cork, Ieland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well done this site is looking great and when completed should be a work of art.
I have a crap dial up connection and nearly gave up on the opening page as it is too much for my dial up. But I do not think I would lessen the impact of the world ; at he moment it is pretty striking . I think to lessen the load I would rather see the 'world kit' annimation go or the 'visit our design page' animation. whilst they are in themselves alright, I think both together they make it a bit messy.
All in all, petty damn good, with amazing potential.
  • otseng
  • otseng

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't wait to play the game!

One thing strange is that I see "118259 visits since July 1st 2003" on the bottom of the pages. Yet there are many things still under construction. You would think that a site that has been up since 7/1/2003 wouldn't have so many pages under construction. :?
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site looks very nice, I notice it must be full screen on 1024X768 to really get it I usually don't run ful screen but its somthing I noticed. Also the home button, maybee you can make that a link to home for the current language instead of mousing over home then selecting. I was trying to get back before I relized that was the case. Overall a very pleasing site, the scrolling landscape looks very good in "the game" section.
  • FlaFilly
  • FlaFilly
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had fun playing with it... built a little city. Hope to see you add more elements !
  • tvfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, that's a long review...
I've renamed "Recent Topics" to "Hot Topics", "more" to "More Hot Topics", removed that semi-colon.
About newest members, i fixed that; it shows now the last three new members.
The rest, still working on them, have some problems in real life and don't have too much time to stay online.
Anyway, thank you very much for your review, still waiting for others...
  • tvfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, about the top NEWS link, i've change it to Home.
Also, i changed the alignment in visitors block from center to left.
About the games section, i know that they aren't related to TV, i was just thinking i'll get more visitors with that. Don't know what to do about it yet.

Cya soon,
Iulian
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks good. looks you have put in lots of time and effort into this :-)

gd luck!
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your website needs to support all, or maybe at least most of the different browsers. Could you make the links into buttons maybe, and make them change when you move your cursor over it?
  • cubechris
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Gloucester, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

A reallly nice site, which should flourish upon completion, it is looking really profesional :)
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a little new feature I installed on my website, I would like you to review it, and give it a go!

And here is how it works:
Quote:
SImply look at the map and let us know where in the world do you think this map is located. All maps will be equally scaled and the measurements are aproximately 1 inch = 65 miles.
All maps have been stripped of their cities and towns, latitude and longitude reference lines, names of physical features and names of seas and oceans, if applicable.

After one week has passed we will place the same map with its full legend (cities, towns, transportation, physical features, etc.) so that you can see them as they were originally published.

The people who correctly guess the location of the map will receive an email with a link to download a cool little Flash game, so stay tuned, there will be mini Flash games to win every week! Each member can have only ONE guess per week!

In order to place your guess simply say something like "I think this is northern Egypt!" or "Hey, that's Norway, near Oslo!" or "That looks like western Texas to me!" and after one week we'll publish the list of the ones who guessed right, as well as the map with full legend.

To review simply click on my signature site...
  • mktsent
  • Born
  • Born
  • mktsent

Post 3+ Months Ago

iit seems likie it is for professional gamers, but for new comers
like me the site seems a littel complicated.
  • aboyd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, the site is a little convoluted. And the game isn't self-contained -- to play you are shunted into the forums, and you can see everyone else's answers. No likely. Also, the prize for winning the game is... another little mini-game? Why not just put the games online and drive traffic to the site?

However, overall, the site ain't too bad. The graphics are good, so whoever is behind that, good job. The layout needs some help, not a lot. And the reliance on nifty tech could be minimized. For example, there is an iframe (or maybe a text block clipped with CSS) in the middle of one of the pages, and it's like a FAQ. Just stuck in the middle of one of the pages. Weird.

I tend to think a page should be a page, and there should be some sensible, obvious, organized links into each page. So the navigation could be more comprehensive.

Also, I like the concept for the upcoming game you're offering. Is it going to be free or for subscribers? It sounds interesting.

PS: my 3 year-old son insists I add this icon: :arrow:
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am sure your site has some great information at it and great graphics. Unfortunatley I find navigation very difficult and complicated. Simplify your site a little. Provide a constant navigation bar everywhere. I couldnt manage to find the quiz thing you were talking about. Whats it called? You should probably provide a link directly to it.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all! We received quite a few answers on map 1, and here goes Mystery Map of the Week #2:

And here is how it works:
Quote:
SImply look at the map and let us know where in the world do you think this map is located. All maps will be equally scaled and the measurements are aproximately 1 inch = 65 miles.
All maps have been stripped of their cities and towns, latitude and longitude reference lines, names of physical features and names of seas and oceans, if applicable.

After one week has passed we will place the same map with its full legend (cities, towns, transportation, physical features, etc.) so that you can see them as they were originally published.

The people who correctly guess the location of the map will receive an email with a link to download a cool little Flash game, so stay tuned, there will be mini Flash games to win every week! Each member can have only ONE guess per week!

In order to place your guess simply say something like "I think this is northern Egypt!" or "Hey, that's Norway, near Oslo!" or "That looks like western Texas to me!" and after one week we'll publish the list of the ones who guessed right, as well as the map with full legend.

And here is a thumbnail of the mini-game winners of week #1 got themselves...

To play, simply click on the link on my signature, and then on the MAP on the MAIN PAGE. Really simple...! :)
  • aboyd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Abelius wrote:
Thank you all! We received quite a few answers on map 1, and here goes Mystery Map of the Week #2:

So, did you actually want reviews of your site, or is this just a way for you to get eyeballs? Because, you know, I kinda spent a bunch of time to review your site. It would suck to think that you just ignored all that feedback, didn't change a thing on your site, and are back here just to promote it again without even addressing all the issues people mentioned.

Oh wait, that's exactly what happened. Lame.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, aboyd. And even though Im not sure you will change anythign I couldnt help noticing you dont ask for a confirmed password. Its a good thing I spelled it right the first time. Otherwise Id have ka bit of a problem accessing my account.

And not to mention after I sign up for an account Im brought back to the main forum page and have to find the map game again.

And your smileys... They dont portray their emotions too well. The happy one looks like he just cheated on a test and the one that I think is crying looks like its sweating profucely.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Abelius, as previously discussed, I've merged ALL your site reviews into ONE SINGLE TOPIC.
  • PHP_Guru
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I Would Remove Those Common Library Sounds, That Flash Gives You. Those Are Kind Of Hoaky. Other Than That, Maybe Fixing Thr Images, Some Are Pixelated. Great Job.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whens this sim game going to be done? :D :shock:
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

All that in asp?

I cant imagine how long youve been working on it.

RJ
  • parangat
  • Loc: Mumbai,India

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG very impressive site. Intro is ok. Music does not match with flash design. In some places you can reduce the number of images. Can tweak your punch lines as well.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 95 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers