SITE REVIEW: World Kit Intro (Flash)

• Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all...

OK, my time to ask for opinions. I would like to know what you guys thing of my little new Intro.

To view the intro, please go to my site (on my signature) and then click on the antique camera...

Constructive opinions appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Olympias
  • Loc: Macedonia and WPB

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG, another unfinished site.
But it damn rocks!

here is -as a student- what I would change:
The preloader ofthe intro shows like a city-building game, and then in the intro there is only images of idiots like Franz Joseph and Columbus. Can you make it more specific showing it's a game? Or -rather- gonna be a game???

You mix flash design with photoshop. Is it Photoshop u used to make the ground on that little cute town?

But my verdict stays: AWESOMEEEEEEEE!
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as the intro is concerned, my main crit is that I do not think the music selected for the intro is appropriate. I would expect to hear some ambient, classical, or some sort of a more dramatic theme selected, to better describe the material/product.

As far as the site design, I think its adequate, but there are some readability issues with some of your links, like "Newsroom", "Forum & Chat", The WK Team." Very hard to read, I had to look up close. Theres no reason these links should be more readable as they are important.

Otherwise, great job.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with derek on the links; the blue is very hard to read. The navigation at the bottom also looks choppy and blurry, any chance on changing that?

You missed the Canadian flag for the english :P

The intro is alright, looks a bit...hmm not sure of the word. The image usage in the flash looks un-professional. Also, the breakout game - it's unplayable in Firefox. The start button is overlapped by words, making them unclickable. CSS issues?
  • Olympias

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where is the breakout game?
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't remember, one of the other links. About or something like that.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Canadian flag is in place!

Loved to see Canadians protesting on someone's visit to Canada today... LMAO...

About the break-out game, the link is here: http://www.worldkit.com/wk_whatisWk.asp, and the game is there temporarily... Gonna fly soon, replaced by the real WK game, so I never bothered to have it compatible with Firefox and Netscape... :)

Also agree on the music, sorta looking for a better loop. Any suggestions?

About the "non-professional images" agree on that too... Gonna solve it soon! :)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a pretty impressive site. I never realised this topic existed and just had a wee look through your site.

The general idea looks pretty good, although it does replicate some other games such as Civilisation etc etc.

I liked the intro, although as others have said the music is not really the best. But from what i have seen on this site, i am impressed. I need somebody that can create a site like that to perhaps help me out at as i am useless.

Well done though! great site!
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the praise, and as I said, I am STILL looking for a better music loop...
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

City building prototype version 1.0

Let me know what you think please... Entirely made in Flash MX 2004. Very rudimentary, but I am actually giving it away for free. :)

http://www.worldkit.com/wk_indesign.asp

• fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's pretty cool. Also, it's easy to navigate through out the entire site.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great work Abelius. When I was first using the Flash program I was thinking of what a great CAD program it would make. Its a really good and unique idea, well done. Having said that, a few thoughts.

First, images. All of the text images in your footer (site map, downloads ....) are scruffy, it doesnt look professional and I think takes away from the good work you've done on the site. The other text images at the top are crisp and clear, try and go for that effect down low too.

The other thing, in the Design box area, you use a very dark grey font, doesnt fit the color scheme. Make it either a light grey or white would probably suit it even better. Its just hard to read, which is never a good thing for a website, especially when the text describes the main attraction to the site.

I was also going to suggest changing the green background you have to white or black, but I realized that you need the green to make your program effective. So stick with it. Overall, very well done, extremely useful program.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your reply...

Currently working on having roads lay themselves from point A to point B (point "onPress" to point "onRelease")... :)
  • Jemdam.com
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW! What can I say. I love it. Opens up 'real style' games on the internet.

I made my self a little town and zoomed in and out. Do you plan to make this into a full Sim City style game. If it was multiplayer against other visitors this would be very cool.

Good Luck,

David - http://www.jemdam.com
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very cool... very sims dont sell it or risk being sewed :P I like it though considering its flash (macromedia) I'll post it on a fav list and see future updates...
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you both, and here are the answers:

It will not look like SIMS, and you can see the look ofthe real buildings in the downloads section, under "wallpapers"... The only reason I used simple buildings on the v1.0 was for simplicity and speed...

It will definitely go multiplayer, through LoadVars and combined with live SQl data..
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way, if there is a Flash / ActionScript programmer out there interested in joining, let me know please...
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing that I disliked was the green on the main page. Maybe a bit darker, it's tiresome for the eyes.
Anyway ... It's just great. I put some houses on the map. Great. Love it :)
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

3D models for buildings and objects. I madet he textures using Fireworks and the controls using Flash MX 2004.

URL:
http://www.worldkit.com/wk_indesign.asp

Please scroll all the way down on that page. DSL connection recommended.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice. A strong recommendation I have is to be able to continue to place the object desired on the map rather than having to go back and select it again and repeating that step just to build a long road....

As far as the objects are designed - very nice, they all look believable. Nice touches with the shading as well.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input. And yup, those chages are coming up in v2.0

By the way here is -I think- a nice idea forthe tsunami relief fund:
http://www.worldkit.com/wknforum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=421&posts=8
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, I just finished making the new version (v.2) of my World Kit guestbook.
I would appreciate opinions, feedback, critics and I don't even mind some ripe tomatoes... LOL

The URL is here:
http://www.worldkit.com and then please scroll down and click on the little pen to open the guestbook:

If you would like to have the Flash source code, it is available here:
http://www.worldkit.com/wk_downloads.asp
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is one sweet idea. nice site... one of the coolest guestbooks I've seen.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is a pretty cool flash site mate looks good, i like how you have it in differnt languages that is pretty kool. Yeah Graphics are awsome :D

-sycofi5h
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you guys!

Much appreciated, now I can hit the fridge! There's six ice-cold Buds in there... :)
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol mad have fun
  • Snerdey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I LIKE IT!

I like everything about it. It's a homerun!

Bravo!!!
  • otweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • otweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, that's a great guestbook. Kind of makes me change my whole opinion on the subject.

Before I signed it, I was thinking you were placing that pin based on location entered, which would be an insane amount of work. Your way works much better I think though, it allows the user to be more interactive. I also like the little boy/girl/couple characters.

Great stuff
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, just added a little "stats page" to the guestbook, to show how many visitors come from where. SQL-driven of course...

Thanks for the replies guys! :)
  • Olympias

Post 3+ Months Ago

arggh! I suck placing pins! LMAO~~~~~ But I loooove the boy/gilr/cpl thingy! Soooooo ocute~~~~!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 95 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers