SITE REVIEW: www.blueuniverse.co.uk

• cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wondering what you guys think of http://www.blueuniverse.co.uk

I completed a complete redesign in about March 2004, and since then it has been steadily growing.

It is going to be featuring in a magazine next month.

Also, if possible, tell me what you think of the forum/site integration.

Thanks,

Ed
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

You get to be featured in a magazine?! Congrats. Very nice site though. Looks very proffesional. The forum looks great. Some of the pages took while to load for me though. and I mean slower than if it had some big images on it. not sure why that is. Other wise I have no complaints. :) :) :) Great work!
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats about the magazine feature, what mag is it btw?

The design of the site is nice and fresh and it is not cluttered nor to bare. I like the favicon.

The forum looks great and fits in really well with the design of your site. It also looks very active.

I think that you site is great and looks very professional
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well nothing is sorted, still finalising stuff, but it should be featured in Internet Works.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey man. Nice layout. Very professional. The images load up a little slow, but other than that, its a very good site. Btw, what magazine are you gonna be featured in? :?:
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

See above, it's a British magazine, so you probably haven't heard of it if you are in the US.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, okay. No I havent heard of it. Good luck tho.
  • Pure Evil
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cackling in Hell next to Hitler

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is a nice site but i think that u should try and find a sever so u can host the files urself
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why is that?
  • assa_29
  • assa_29

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design good. In general to like me sites in light tones or 3 color. Success!
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks 8)
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great job, someone who actually knows what he's doing, and can stick to a clear, logical theme.

P.S. Don't worry, I don't expect this to count toward my review count
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love the site. Pretty basic template but it gives mood to your site. 10 out of 5
  • Nato
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nato
  • Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site has a very professional looking design. I do have a question for you however, but it is a little off the topic of design and more on the side of content.

Obviously the site has some merit if is going to be featured in a magazine so, I guess my question is who and where is your audience? Like I said, it obviously has an audience but where does it come from and why or how does your site interest or serve them differently than a more popular site like yahoo or something?

Just thought I would ask. It might help the rest of us developers out there looking for a target audience.

By the way, I noticed on the about page that organization is spelled with a 's' instead of a 'z'. But then again, what do I know, maybe you guys spell it like that in the UK?
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nato wrote:
By the way, I noticed on the about page that organization is spelled with a 's' instead of a 'z'. But then again, what do I know, maybe you guys spell it like that in the UK?

Yup, we spell it right 8)

Nato wrote:
Obviously the site has some merit if is going to be featured in a magazine so, I guess my question is who and where is your audience? Like I said, it obviously has an audience but where does it come from and why or how does your site interest or serve them differently than a more popular site like yahoo or something?

Basically, it is quite a general audience but really targets those in the 30's to 50's age range in both genders. I am trying to expand this though, along with the rest of the site, to provide areas to cater for other spectrums of the age range, as sites such as Yahoo has done.

Thanks for the comments 8)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not being funny, but in what way is your site acessible to people with disabilities? Tables are not good layout for accessible websites, and you have turned off the ability to change text size in IE!!!! Come on now. I would be more than happy to let both of these go, but not on a site that claims, on it's front page, to have been made.
Quote:
easier to navigate and more accessible to those with disabilities

The text size thing is the very first and basic step in accessibility. Remove this:
Code: [ Select ]
    font-size: 11px;

from your site and then you will be getting somewhere.

That having been said, for normal users the site does load quickly is very clear and easy to navigate. It's a dull layout, but clean and well presented. This is about right for a news site. The content should keep your users coming back as there is plenty of it and it is well presented.
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a lot more accessible to those with disabilities than it was before. Aside from those problems it is pretty much totally fine, and I will being doing a div based layout ASAP.

The reason that I haven't allowed changing font-sizes is because it screws up the entire site look. Have a look in Mozilla with text zoom and you will see what I mean.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appologise for my previous comments. I think I had though something along the lines of "They're just saying that to look good" and that really p***ed me off. I'm not sure why I thought that either :roll: oh well.

Quote:
div based layout ASAP

YAY for the box model :D lol.

It looks as though your widths are working on em's rather than pixcels, but I see no evidence in the code.....

Ho hum. To be honest though - I would still have let the user use text zoom. If i had bad sight/"impaired vision" I'd rather scroll back and forth than not be able to use the site at all. Although it's nice to provide the exact same pixcel perfect thing to every one, it's probably better to focus more on useability - just ensure there are no horrible display glitches (which you don't have anyway!)

if you are looking to redo with divs, might i suggest the top links get converted to plain text. although this might cause some problems with text zoom again, you can get it to all float and take up multiple lines.
  • cardesign
  • Student
  • Student
  • cardesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I will change them to plain text. The reason they are images is because when I had them as plain text tables they sort of mucked up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers