•  
  •  

SITE REVIEW: www.cowkiller.com

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is my first real try at a web site i am 18 and i just got in to doing this and i love it.

http://www.cowkiller.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

First Off, I am offended by the site and your "banner".

On to the review of the site. Theres not much to review. Some of the sections, well one of them is not open yet, the rest is just forums or a search this site. Not much to review. Decent quality for someones first website, if indeed you are the creator. May I ask you this.... Why in the world would a 17 year old want a site called "Cow Killer"?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

for one i am the creator of cowkiller site and the name of the site is b/c i live in the sticks and i hate it there are farms around me and i just dont like it so it became cowkiller.com .... did that help you?
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller wrote:
for one i am the creator of cowkiller site and the name of the site is b/c i live in the sticks and i hate it there are farms around me and i just dont like it so it became cowkiller.com .... did that help you?

that is certainly understandeable that you are sick of seeing cows, so is it a parody then?

i think it is a great attempt if it is indeed your first site. keep crackin the html, java and dhtml books and you will have a lot of potential for the future.. i can understand how someone might be "offended" by the site and the banner, but if it is a parody or a joke about actually "killing" cows. you might put a little disclaimer descretely somewhere so people dont flame you for it

my :my2cents:
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the banner did kill the cow before but i changed that and i think it adds interest to the site to some it might look like a meat site to outhers it will looks like a funny site but for me it is a hobby that i love to do
Gadget Guru about the little disclaimer i dont think that is a good idea b/c i will take some of the interest away, but thanks
  • theorynine
  • Loc: Oregon, Holla

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, i remember my first attempt at a web site ... although i had a lot more flashing neon green text in my, anyway, i'm veiwing your site on a mac, in ie 5.2, so some of the tables, and i might be wrong, look a bit off. (or thats just how they are, not sure) ...

Anyway, something, that helped me sharpen my site skills, was visiting some tut sites, such as dbm, eye-ball, and various other sites. Check those out, and work with photoshop.

Your site indeed, as your first one, looks pretty good ... and like gguru said, hit those books, and some tut sites, and you'll be rollin' in the future.

I'll update this when i get home and i'm on my windows machine. /out
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya my site dont show up well on a mac. and my computer is so slow i cant use photoshop at home so i do it in school on my free class and i plan on geting deep in to this kind of stuff. i dont know about php beacuse i am just geting html after that i might try php or something like that
ya and thanks
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just gotta ask how you picked the subject matter? fetish? fascination? experience? site looks good in terms of it's probable viewers (none of which i imagine will care much about appearance) and for a first time website its great! *applause* dude, bottom line; your site fascinates me...
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

and while i'm at it, it looks fine on mac...thats what i'm using...
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

jbb image broken on links page...check it
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya i will fix that my buddy's site thanks my main page sucks becaouse i cant use photo shop on this thing it is to slow
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the banner and graphics and explaining the name is a good idea, but when I went to the cowkiller game page all I got was a broken image. Maybe you have to register to play but when I clicked the image I got a page not found error - it's pointing to the game subdomain because you're using a relative url. The image won't load for the same reason. When I tried the menu links on the same game page I found the same problem. Change them to absolute urls with the full address and you'll be all set.

Also you might want to work on your table layout to try and remove the whitespace above the updates on the right-hand side of the screen. Maybe use two columns in the same row and put the menu links in a nested table in the left-hand column.

Overall a very good first effort. :D
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya thanks for the ideas and the game page is still geting worked on i will fix all that thanks
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got a new main page take a look and tell me what you think thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definetely looks better and more organized. Getting better all the time.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good! The layout is tighter and the menu looks much better. You might want to shrink the big graphic at the top a little though - at 1000 pixels wide it's causing a horizontal toolbar at lower resolutions.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks i will change that and i am making a new one soon anyway
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

funny how your site, the one that everybody hates is getting more
posts than any of the others. That's a good thing for you cowkiller...

"any press is good press"
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it is. but when people see what my site is all about they like it and it is not what you think it is and that is the idea right now i am up to 94 members so some people must like it i just got to get the word out about it that's all

by the way you people should take a look at my new main pge,member pics, and links. i was up till 2 am makeing them last night and tell me what you think ..... thanks
  • Micah
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Micah

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:

Nice site dude.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

guss what i am going to the I.T expo and i am working on my website at the expo so hopefuly i will get some new users well i hope i get lots of new users o well i g2g
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, I don't know how anyone can be offended by your Banner if they eat Beef :) just kidding all. It is a gread Parody Site and is an asset to the Internet, everyone needs a good laugh now and then.

Everything aside I did find that it was well organized, and might I say a great way to learn HTML to start a hobby site. That is how I learned HTML.

The site impressed me since you say it was your first site, and I see that improvements are made frequently so looks like you are well on your way.

Love the site!!!

RBeau
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well first off thanks and i am working on a forums for jbb-import http://www.cowkiller.com/jbb and then i am makeing a index page for it so if ya got any ideas you can tell me i got one with the same setup as mine just to show him what it can look like http://www.cowkiller.com/jbb/indexjbb.html
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good. Looks pretty much identical except for different information and a different logo.
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with BigWebmaster, except I get a horizontal scrollbar in 800x600.
I don't like horizontal scrollbars... If someone invents a mouse with a little trackball instead of a vertical scroll wheel I would like scrolling horizontal.

RBeau
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i didn't see it on this site, I must have missed it....

but, hoizontal scrollbars are cool when used in the right place. Vertical is
more of a convention than a standard. People should be more open
minded to different things in web design. Not everything has to be
"normal."
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

In this case I don't think he was planning to have the horizontal scroll bar, and I would agree that horizontal scroll bars for me are kind of a nuisance, and that is probably why most sites do not have them. I do not know of any large professional web sites who have them, but maybe I have missed one :)
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are right unflux maybe I should be more open minded.

I'll remember that next time.,...

Sorry Cowkiller!
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya the banner makes that happen it is not ment for 800x600 but if i took the banner out it would go with any size and thats a good idea with the horizontal scroll bar i think i might try that just to be diffrent
you guys think i should try?
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think having a banner of some sort at the top is a good idea. If you make a smaller version of the banner - like 760 pixels wide - you could use javascript to decide whether to show the big banner or the small banner based on the user's resolution. If you search google for javascript image resolution you'll find a number of free scripts out there that will do the trick.

As far as keeping an open mind about scrollbars, I don't think a horizontal scrollbar is bad on principle I just think it should serve some purpose, and having both scrollbars is a bit awkward. Ulitmately I suppose it depends on your audience - if your webstats show you how many people are viewing it at a given resolution and all or most are at a high resolution then I guess it doesn't matter. About 40-50% of my visitors still use 800x600 so I like it to fit at that resolution.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 115 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers