SITE REVIEW: www.darren-king.co.uk

• katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.darren-king.co.uk

Just my own site, not a commercial/business venture. Interested to see what people think, and possibly to get some ideas for future developments. I'm toying with the idea of introducing some flash, but i kinda also like the simplicity of what I have, hence i'd like to hear what others think - too boring & simple, or ok as is?
Cheers,
Darren.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it - nice car :P lol
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

which one? the smashed one? :)
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
which one? the smashed one? :)

Yep lol - you run it into a tree or something?
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

long story. but yes, somewhere in there, i hit a tree. then ended up upside down in the middle of a field. wasn't hurt tho, just pride more than anything else :D
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha, nothing wrong with a smashed up behicle! and take pride in it, dont let it weigh ya down! its just a car :D
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

could be the fact that you were going 65 and taking a picture of your car going onto 55555 lol
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh...wonder what happened there :D
maybe its like from re:a and he was looking at some "dead" hookers and crashed into a parked one lol
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, i was doing 70mph when i took that picture (i had to slow down to take it too)! That's my current car though, the civic only had 40000 miles on the clock.

basically, lost control on a slippery road, skidded into the kerb which sent me skidding back across the other side of the road. At this point i was thinking "ok, minimal damage", until bumped up onto the kerb, which caused all the damage on my bumper (fender). i was thinking "ok, a bit more damage, but not too bad", then i hit the tree and started to get a little worried at how much everything was going to cost. on the other side of the verge was a field, which was a few feet lower than the level of the road. the front of the car started to move down, and the whole car ended up upside down in the field. this is when i really said to myself "bugger".

the funny thing was that when i tried to get the keys out of the car, i forgot that it was upside down, and turned the keys the wrong way, and actually started the engine. I nearly laid something in my underwear at the sound of the engine starting - cue images of every holywood movie car crash where cars explode at the slightest bit of damage. needless to say, it didn't explode, i got out ok, and got a new car. been a better driver since though :wink:

anywho, now that thats cleared up, any other comments on the website?
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy folks! Over the weekend I updated my site and I'd be grateful for any feedback on the new design. I didn't want to start a new thread seeing as this one was still open.
There's a link to the old design on the main page so you can compare old & new.
Cheers
D.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love how off track this subjet went :lol:

Good job on updating it!

Nice favicon

I think your font is too large. It takes up too much room, try decreasing it by 1 size.

Cross browser compliant :iconthumbright:

What's the long in link for?

In your cv.php page, I'd space out the bulleted items so it's more legible. They seem too crunched together.

Your "Bujinkan Brian Dojo" link is broken. It opens in a new browser window, is it supposed to be a link to an outside site or to another page on your own site? Because when I mouse over I get a "/BBD" directory right off your site.

Your CV in pdf format is a dead link. Well, actually it's just not linking anymore b/c you're using the "#" sign.

Optimize your photos in your gallery, they are taking too long to load (the preview size not the main images) Why do you have under Photo Album, the listing of the current photo galleries and then under that section you have another section titled "photos" that says "no photos in this directory"? Do you need that second section listed underneath? it's quite confusing. I'd say get rid of it (unless it serves a good purpose) and just leave the top section that lists the actual photo galleries.

Don't publish your site if it isn't complete!! I see you got certain sections that aren't linked up yet. Hide them until they are ready to go.

Nice guestbook, do you have it set up so that you approve all the posts before they appear on the site? I think this would be a wise idea so you can screen out the bad posts.

I'd change the "index" link to say "home".

Keep your title tags consistent. Right now on the "index" page it's set up differently than the other pages and you're missing a space between the g and the ::

Add more keywords, I'm sure you can come up with more than just your name :P Same goes for site description!

Besides that, good job mate! 8)
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the swift and extensive review 613! :D

Quote:
Nice favicon

Quote:
What's the log in link for?

It's my secure area: at the moment it only contains the visitor log, but you have to log in to access it.

Quote:
Your "BBD" link is broken. It opens in a new browser window, is it supposed to be a link to an outside site or to another page on your own site? Because when I mouse over I get a "/BBD" directory right off your site.

I used to have a BBD site hosted on my site, to which this link pointed. It wasn't the final version of the site, and I deleted it when I uploaded the new design. The links page contains the correct link to the site (not by me).

Quote:
Optimize your photos in your gallery, they are taking too long to load (the preview size not the main images)

Actually, I done away with thumbnails. They take ages to load 'cause they are the full sized photos :oops: I wasn't sure what to go for on this - making thumbnails is a bit of a hastle :D

Quote:
Why do you have under Photo Album, the listing of the current photo galleries and then under that section you have another section titled "photos" that says "no photos in this directory"?

I've set it up so that a photo album can contain sub-albums as well as pictures. Some albums have no sub-albums, where as some albums have sub-albums but no pictures.

Quote:
Nice guestbook, do you have it set up so that you approve all the posts before they appear on the site? I think this would be a wise idea so you can screen out the bad posts.

Thanks! Wrote it myself don't ya know?! :D At the mo, it's set up so that posts get added immediately, but I can set posts to be visible/hidden, so setting it up so that new posts are automatically hidden wont be too difficult.

Quote:
Don't publish your site if it isn't complete!! I see you got certain sections that aren't linked up yet. Hide them until they are ready to go.

Haha! You got me there! I was just too excited about the new design that I had to tell the world. Most of the dud-links are supposed to point to PDFs, which aren't online yet as I haven't gotten round to updating them yet *bad Katana*
  • chrysty
  • chrysty
  • Loc: West Cork, Ieland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can only talk visual as I am not technical. Your site is looking good, easy on the eye and clean...not at all cluttered.
I liked your random lyric box and your ip reporter!
The only thing that let it down was the photo pages; personally I think thumbs would speed up the load up: or if not thumbs just down grade the quality a tad, maybe?
A good clean zippy site! Well done.
  • FlaFilly
  • FlaFilly
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is why I love to do site reviews!!! What a fun and original site! Gotta love a man in a skirt ! Especially on a windy day hehe. But honestly, it's a great site and I had fun visiting.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shucks, thanks guys :D
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it too. I've been partial to themes like that ever since Ozzu turned me on to the dark side. The css menu is an improvement over the old rollover menu, but I noticed that there is a wee error in the style sheet where you have margin-left, margin-right: 5px; in the body part of the external style sheet - I think those properties need to go on lines of their own rather than be separated by commas.
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your new design is a big improvement from the previous version. My favorite part of the site was the photo albums; I'm hoping to put a similar thing on my personal site someday (when I don't have homework). You did a nice job with content and overall, I'm impressed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers