SITE REVIEW: www.darvasboxes.com

  • nicolas
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • nicolas
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I'm a new to being a webmaster! It would be great if any of you more experienced guys could take a quick look at my site and let me know if there's anything I should be doing better.

Thanks in advance!

www.darvasboxes.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy
  • Posts: 911

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a very plain site, black and white. If you've got the time, create a logo or some image that you can place at the top of the site. Also, play around with CSS and experiment with different variations of colors for your site, having a black and white site is very basic. I know you're just starting so its not an entirely bad thing, but as you start learning more about design you'll notice that part of what makes a great site is its color scheme. You should also align that icq thing at the bottom to the center, doesnt look too structured having it on the left. It says that your site is powered by the ICQ Rings Navigator Panel at the bottom? My suggestion is to put a footer at the bottom of your page, just containing "All rights reserved" and maybe a contact email.

Clicking on the link to the diary, it opens in a new window, not a big fan of that. Unless its absolutely necessary, try and open all links within your site in the same screen. When you're linking to a different website, then its ok to open them in a new window. The diary looks good, very structured. Again, could use with some color.

Same thing with the forum link on your main page, open it in the same window. The link you had to the forums on your diary page opened it in the same window, follow that same process. The forums look good. If you have the time, change that phpbb logo to something of your own.

Your code is a bit messy. Try and make an external style sheet instead of including in your code. You have to put your <meta description> tag in and adjust your <meta content>. I think overall, your site gets to the point and has some good content. For the early stages, and for someone just dipping their foot into web design, this is a good start and a good foundation. Learn more about CSS and add more color to the site, with some site images. You'll do great. Good job.

//Edit: Forgot to add, create a menu bar! Maybe at the very top, a menu with links to Home, Forums, Diary etc... It'll make it tons more easier to navigate throughout the site.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3289
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well thnx daremedy you said pretty much all I wanted to mention ;)

You definitely need a site layout. There is no common navigational bar. You've got a bunch of ads on your site but at first glance I thought they were your navigational menu for the site. You need to defirentiate those links from your own site's links.

Noticed a few grammatical errors. Very minor though. Always put a space after a comma, don't put a space after a colon ":" in English, change "myself" to "me" in the following sentence:
"Hopefully this journal will be useful both to myself and those who read it. "
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy
  • Posts: 911

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
Well thnx daremedy you said pretty much all I wanted to mention ;)


I learned it all from this years reigning ozzu website reviewing champ! :P
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3289
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

daremedy wrote:
613flavah wrote:
Well thnx daremedy you said pretty much all I wanted to mention ;)


I learned it all from this years reigning ozzu website reviewing champ! :P


:oops: too kind, YOU ROXOR
  • nicolas
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • nicolas
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

daremedy wrote:
Its a very plain site, black and white. If you've got the time, create a logo or some image that you can place at the top of the site. Also, play around with CSS and experiment with different variations of colors for your site, having a black and white site is very basic. I know you're just starting so its not an entirely bad thing, but as you start learning more about design you'll notice that part of what makes a great site is its color scheme........My suggestion is to put a footer at the bottom of your page, just containing "All rights reserved" and maybe a contact email.......Forgot to add, create a menu bar! Maybe at the very top, a menu with links to Home, Forums, Diary etc.

Creating a logo or some image and putting a footer at the bottom of the site plus having a menu bar sound good but......how to do that? I am just a beginner; I only have limited knowledge about HTML. However I'll take some effort to learn that stuff.

daremedy wrote:
You should also align that icq thing at the bottom to the center, doesnt look too structured having it on the left.

Done! Does the site now look much more structured?

daremedy wrote:
The forums look good. If you have the time, change that phpbb logo to something of your own.

Great.....could you give the step-by-step procedure how to change that phpbb logo?

daremedy wrote:
Your code is a bit messy. Try and make an external style sheet instead of including in your code. You have to put your <meta description> tag in and adjust your <meta content>.

:? :? :?

Really appreciate your kind advice.... :D

Thank you!
  • nicolas
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • nicolas
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi 613flavah,

Done.....Thanks for the advice.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.