SITE REVIEW : www.djandyg.com

• Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc
  • Loc: London, England.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
This is my 1st attempt at a website for a friend. Please can you give me some constructive criticism on what needs improving?
I'm thinking of adding a short flash intro and maybe some background music on the home page.

Also I'm using frames and seem to be having problems with search engines finding my site?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

http://www.djandyg.com
Cheers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Denni08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Denni08
  • Loc: Cincy Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read your post and i really like your ideas.

I think a page should pop up when you visit this site, and give a description of what to expect.

When i first came to this site I did not know how to use it or how to join.

I think if you explained it more thoroughly, you would get more members.

For more suggestions E-mail me at condeni08@yahoo.com

Peace
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

This belongs in the review forum? * But I must point out,

DON'T ADD A FLASH INTRO

DON'T ADD BACKGROUND MUSIC

The reasons for these attention-grabbing, well-hollered opinions are as follows:

Flash introductions do nothing to add to the site. They merely say, "look what I can do!" Unless the site is expressly made for the purpose of showing off your Flash Power, a Flash intro will only waste your user's time and bandwidth.

Background music is also an idea that should not be implemented, as it will do one of these four things:

1. Get downloaded but go unheard.
2. Get heard, but interfere with the music the visitor already has playing.
3. Get heard, but be disliked by the user.
4. Get heard and enjoyed by the user.

Given the wide-ranging tastes in music these days, even with the relatively focused audience your site may get, the probability of number four is not going to be more than ten percent. Also, even if the user does like the music, it is much more polite to offer the music as an optional download, to be played at the user's discretion.

* If the discussion ends up in the direction I've replied in, then no.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before I give you my thoughts, get a mod to move this to the review section, then Follow the rules posted for review. THEN i will comment.
  • gumbos
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Under Gallery you have Photos from Cork Ireland, might want to list those photos in another category. Not under UK. :lol: :oops:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gumbos...ummm I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your avatar is really offensive. The moderators are trying to run a proffesional Web Forum, and your avatar isn't really going along with that theme. If at all possible, could you change it please?
  • gumbos
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok sorry. Didnt mean to offend anybody.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No sweat. I didn't mean to be picky :D
  • zohare
  • Born
  • Born
  • zohare
  • Loc: ny

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad. Pretty easy on the eyes. Ideally, i think it would be better if you did not have a background picture on the diary page because it clashes too much with the color of the text, or perhaps shade the image a bit in photoshop so it doesn't have such an intense glare.

The best websites i have seen have always been nicely forged with the surrounding color of the page. if you could somehow mold the sides of the pictures to match the black...like dissolve into the black, that would be spectacular.

and one last thing....maybe a smaller intro picture...not one this big, although the attention needs to be on it, this just sticks out a lot...that is just a suggestion i think would fly...no one need agree.
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look and make some changes.
The reason I wanted back ground music is to show the tunes DJ Andy G has produced. I would have a button to turn the music off though.
Also if I had a flash intro I would have an option to skip it.
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK I've got some problems which I'm sure would be easy to fix if only I knew how. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction!

1. How do I have a background image with text over the top (see my bio page as an example) that stays static while the text scrolls down as you read it?
At the moment the background picture scrolls with the text!

2. Meta data. OK I'm really puzzled here. I've filled in all the meta data on my index.htm but when I view source on homepage I'm not seeing my code. I can't find the file that it relates to?

3. Also I don't want the background image to tile no matter what resoluton you viewing it in. How can I do this?

4. Is it possible to have a text over an image which uses negitive colour font to whatever the background is?

I use Dreamweaver MX!

Do you think my site would be better if I re did it without using frames?
If I don't use frames how can I insure that the top navigation part stays inline on every page?

Quote:
zohare - The best websites i have seen have always been nicely forged with the surrounding color of the page. if you could somehow mold the sides of the pictures to match the black...like dissolve into the black, that would be spectacular.

Do you have any examples? Which pages of mine do you think this would work best on?

Quote:
Denni08 - When i first came to this site I did not know how to use it or how to join.

I can't see how I could make it more basic to use? And there is nothing to join? Although I might add a mailing list once I'm happy with the rest of the site.

With regards to background music I think I'll just add a page where music can be streamed. Although I have no idea how to go about this yet.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Read this thread on using frames for your site

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic32627.html
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funk Doc wrote:
OK I've got some problems which I'm sure would be easy to fix if only I knew how. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction!

1. How do I have a background image with text over the top (see my bio page as an example) that stays static while the text scrolls down as you read it?
At the moment the background picture scrolls with the text!

Use a CSS rule, background-attachment: fixed;

Funk Doc wrote:
2. Meta data. OK I'm really puzzled here. I've filled in all the meta data on my index.htm but when I view source on homepage I'm not seeing my code. I can't find the file that it relates to?

What meta data are you "filling in"?

Funk Doc wrote:
3. Also I don't want the background image to tile no matter what resoluton you viewing it in. How can I do this?

The CSS property, background-repeat: no-repeat;

Funk Doc wrote:
4. Is it possible to have a text over an image which uses negitive colour font to whatever the background is?

No.

Funk Doc wrote:
I use Dreamweaver MX!

Uh... good?

Funk Doc wrote:
Do you think my site would be better if I re did it without using frames?

I'd answer yes.

Funk Doc wrote:
If I don't use frames how can I insure that the top navigation part stays inline on every page?

What do you mean by "inline"? The word has a special meaning in the field of markup languages, so I want to make sure I know what you mean.

Funk Doc wrote:
Quote:
zohare - The best websites i have seen have always been nicely forged with the surrounding color of the page. if you could somehow mold the sides of the pictures to match the black...like dissolve into the black, that would be spectacular.

Do you have any examples? Which pages of mine do you think this would work best on?

This advice comes from the school of thought which dictates that the quality of a website is directly proportional to the number of Photoshop's features it shows off. I say ignore this.

Funk Doc wrote:
Quote:
Denni08 - When i first came to this site I did not know how to use it or how to join.

I can't see how I could make it more basic to use? And there is nothing to join? Although I might add a mailing list once I'm happy with the rest of the site.

Usability-wise, the site is very good -- his comment confuses me as well.

Funk Doc wrote:
With regards to background music I think I'll just add a page where music can be streamed. Although I have no idea how to go about this yet.

That would be a neat idea.

Funk Doc wrote:
I would have a button to turn the music off though.

I'd recommend having a button to turn the music on, instead of the other way around, but ok *. Make sure they can see the button easily, though.

* Having a button to turn of the music is admitting that some people will not like it, that you know the visitor will be annoyed but you're turning it on anyway. Psychologically, starting with the music off and suggesting that they might like to turn the music on could be better for business. Not to mention more user-friendly. Just a theory :)
  • Toyminator
  • Student
  • Student
  • Toyminator
  • Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

This website is way to plain
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Toyminator wrote:
This website is way to plain

Yeah, you should load this five-page site up with huge graphics and convoluted navigation or else visitors will get the information they want easily and quickly. :roll:
  • NicLiew
  • NicLiew
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a fan of this new "simple and easy" fad that has been plaguing many sites. I love a simple site that doesn't have a full on graphics navigation, etc. It is very simple i must say, but simple loads fast, and gets the message across very quickly (not like with graphics loading everywhere that move and take your focus off what the website's really meant to be about).

A nit-picking thing i'd like to add... Would you be able to put a title in for the website? at the moment the website's title is just http://www.djandyg.com/ and if you bookmark the website that'll be the name it's bookmarked under ;) so it's best to make a title :)

Goodluck in the future :)
  • Salohcin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Salohcin
  • Loc: Lower Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont think you need any special flashy intros or anything like that... I like the simplicity of it but I was expecting more as far as graphics were concerned...the graphics that you do have could use a little bit of tweeking just to add an edge to them and make them reach out a little more but nothing too drastic....

i found it to be slightly limited as far as information as well ....you may want to try making your self a new banner for the site...something in .jpg or even .gif format which will be easy on the loading......overall i would say 4/10 but only because it doesnt seem to grab my attention a whole lot.....tweak some graphics change to some new backgrounds and your looking at an easy 6-7/10 website....

hope this helps a little

Nick
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.djandyg.com

I'm having a nightmare here.
I'm trying to remake the site without frames, but am struggling.
I think I'm relying to heavly on Dreamweaver.
Here's my progress so far - http://students.exp-solutions.co.uk/andyg2/

Problems I'm having is links aren't working once I upload them?
When I try preview seems to work fine. Then once uploaded it's a no go???
Also I made the gallery using some free software I downloaded, but can't seem to customize it how I would like very easily.
The only one I nearly managed is http://students.exp-solutions.co.uk/andyg2/pictures/gallery_pics/elsewhere/dec_03_goa/index.htm

I don't seem to be able to get my head around using templates. I wasted 4 hours playing about with Dreamweaver last night, but feel I haven't learnt a thing. Not happy.

Any help or advice would be much appricated.

I just want to be able to make a basic template of a black html page with the title and navigation set up at the top so I can easily make the rest of the pages.

Also any advice on the gallery would be good. It's far from finished but taking shape.
If I knew what I was doing I think I should be able to finish off the site in a few short hours.
Very frustrating.

Help!!
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's all gone wrong.
I don't know what's happened, but some how I've managed to totally mess up my site. I've been trying to remake it without frames and seemed to be getting along just fine.
The previews in Dreamweaver worked as I expected, but once uploaded none of the links work and some of the pictures aren't loading?
The rollovers have all gone wrong also??????

I've tried changing the paths and checked all the obvious things (obvious to me). I'm at my wits end.
Don't know what to do.
I even tried starting from scratch using different folders, but still have the same problems?

Do any of you guys know what I might have done wrong?
Why can't I view the correct source once it's online?

What's going on?

Please help me!
  • Stalin_q8
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Kuwait

Post 3+ Months Ago

iTS good but put more effort on the index (front page) put a logo or something .. but the site is great .. just put some eforrt on the front page
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really dont understand this frames business then. At first I used frames option when creating a new page so the top was statis. This explained the address bar thing to me.

Then I redesigned the page using a basic html page, but your telling me it's coming up as frames?
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, hopefully site looks a bit better now, but I do have another easy question for y'all.

On my Home page & Contact page when viewed in a higher resolution the text is out of line. As in it overlaps the edges of the background pictures.
How do I solve this?

Thanks
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello there,

OK, I've made a few changes including registering to DNS to the correct server.
I still need to sort out the gallery & the bio could do with livening up.
Please could you have a look now and let me know your thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks again

Funk Doc
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I spent a lot of time making a few changes. I've sorted out the gallery as I wanted it & jazzed up the Bio a bit.

Site is pretty much finished now.
Only think I'm not that happy with is the bio layout, but it's good enough for now.

Any comments on this site would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking!
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi FunkDoc,

Your site (homepage) takes approximately 23 seconds to load over a 56k connection, not great. A fair percentage of UK users still have dial-up so please cater for them, if you want to target as many people as possible.

You should lose the images that you are using for navigation, use text anochors here. The images are not adding anything extra.

Try optimizing itaca2.jpg, it is currently just over 90K - and your total image size adds up to over 105k for the entire page. Try and get this total to no more than 30k for quicker loading times.

If you are wondering I got the above details from entering your url into >> http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ << - a useful tool I use to estimate load times over slower connections.

Finally the contrast of text on your background images is sometimes a little difficult to read - for example towards the top of diary.htm on the background picture. Not all users have 20/20 vision and even those who do will find this a little straining on the eyes.

Well-done on getting rid of the frames layout :D The purist in me would liked to have seen you use divs and css instead of tables for layout, but it's much better anyways.

Good work and keep us updated on your progress.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers