SITE REVIEW: www.gemstone-beads.net

• sk_1984
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone

Please tell me what you think about the home page desgin and concept in general...

Just have to put paypal buy now buutons with the price rest all done..

Web Url: http://www.gemstone-beads.net

really like to know your feed back so that can make more better my website.

thanks for your time..

Sk
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

First, the color scheme or lack of kind of bothers me. Your selling jewelry of every color on the spectrum and you have a white background and a gradient Grey header. It really doesn't get less exciting :) Those colors might work if you are going with a minimalistic design, but here it just looks very plain.

It looks like you took a template and just started plugging stuff in. The logo, is not a real logo. Just text. Nothing wrong with templates, but personalize it a little. I use to eat Ramon noodles straight out the pack. Loved them for a long time. One day I decided to add some vegetables, then the next some chicken. In the end, I had taken a simple pack of 15 cent noodles and turned it into a tasty meal. You can turn that template into something beautiful. It just takes some creativity and elbow grease and can turn it into something like this:
http://www.gemsbiz.com/
And that is going to be the difference between having customers and really doing business.
Good luck!
  • wsdjr
  • wsdjr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am very impressed with your design-I am a website designer and you are really good-

If anything-the credits on the bottom of page -don's space those credits to much from the box-rait the credits up and also make the credits just a bit amaller if not the links then the text below the links. Also, remove the line at bottom that goes across the page.

Great job
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, you have several CSS and HTML errors. Correcting these can be very useful.
  • Chuck2
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks good. The flash at the top isn't distracting but it might be making your landing page load slower than it should. I like the white background, it enhances the color of the gems.

Good job,

Chuck
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some good design there, bear in mind I only thend to point out the bad things ^_^

Firstly, a little top margin on the right column on the home page would be good (the borders are touching).

Make the footer (company profile, contact us...) and top navigation (home, faqs, site map) visited links remain the same as normal links, but I like that the anchors in the columns of links near the bottom have a visited style, because that helps the visitor keep track of their browsing which can be important in an e-commerce site.

Try and support noscript a little better, with the "select your gemstone" list, javascript must be enabled for the page to change. You could noscript in a submit button beside it.

As for the product lists, the blue in the product details section could be paler, and the grey in the cells to the right could also be paler. The product details cells could also do with a little more left padding. Also, whatever product that is listed at the top of the page doesn't seem to have bottom borders under the "Add to Cart" buttons, this seems to be an odd bug, not sure why that would happen.

Also there is no ' in FAQs (it's not possessive or missing a letter)

One final thing, there seems to be too heavy a use of tables to form the layout, that design would be simple with div tags instead. HTML has been used to size the images, probably adding a couple of KB to the overall file size, that could add up to a lot of bandwidth overall - I seem to be able to produce more complex layouts with about a third of the markup, it should be condensed more.
  • goldnite
  • goldnite

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout, it's very crisp, especially with the white background. The menu at the bottm seems a bit large for the amount of text on the page, but I do like the color choices. The left side menu with the bithstone beads looks fantastic - I wouldn't change it at all!

The one thing I would seriously changing is the color you chose to show your prices on the catalog pages - it's the same color as the "add to cart" button, and gets a bit lost.

Overall, nice job!
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash movie doesn't show up in FF. :(
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
Flash movie doesn't show up in FF. :(

Oh, I noticed that too but I thought my plugins were to blame; Seems not.
  • rhwebs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rhwebs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design. Very professional. The english is good. There's one really long run on sentence you might want to fix. The flash presentation is not working. Are you adding that? You should try running a w3 validator on your web site. You have a ton of html errors and you have no DOCTYPE. Search engines will have trouble parsing your site.

You should improve your meta description so it says something about your company instead of "This page contains information about Gemstone Beads". Aren't you trying to sell these things? Tell people!

You should shorten your title. This is what is going to be used as the default bookmark title and will show up in the search results. Your title is very long and doesn't seem to describe the page very well.

Good luck.

Rick
  • sk_1984
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks all for your Suggestion will work on that.
thanks for ur time..have a gr8 time
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi very nice and clean page, perhaps you can do away with the table borders and add some padding to the section
  • sk_1984
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can any one tell me how to runw3 validator on your web site.
and
My website animated part is not working on FF what should i do so that it work on FF also i dont have much info on these both please can any guide me how to do ?

thanks n regards
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are using dreamweaver, it adds the active content scripts that work in FF, IE etc. Nice to see that you actually took the time to incorporate your Flash header without the ever hated "click to activate control" I believe that is the most frustrating when developers don't bother to show that.

A good rule of thumb in regards to .swf, keep it in your root directory. Sometimes it can be buggy and not show in FF or Safari if it is in a sub folder. No legit reason, it just does it.

Try to get away from tables. Way to heavy with tables, it can also slow your load time.

FireFox is the ultimate developers tool. Goto their plugins page, and they have an extension to validate pages.

Besides that, great design, and great number of internal text links.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers