SITE REVIEW: www.InterviewBooks.com

• Eric Locken
  • Born
  • Born
  • Eric Locken
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I am an author and have just developed a website to showcase my books / link them to Amazon.

Please have a look and let me know what I could do to improve the site. Writting books is fine, but I have a bit of a creative block when it comes to designing websites.

The site is:

http://www.InterviewBooks.com
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

This will probably be a long list.

1. Don't use blue text for non-links. You have blue text all over the place that looks like it would be clickable (because blue is the standard link color) but it turns out not to be so. And some of them are URLs!

2. Make the URLs into links that point to their respective locations. It's what people expect. (And if you do this, make them blue.)

3. Red and blue text on a white background never go together well.

4. To say #1 more generally, never have links and non-links be the same color. Pick a link color and make all links that color, and then let no other text look the same. This is good for usability.

5. You have a site title in the upper left-hand corner of your Web pages. This is good practice, since that's where people expect the logo to be. However, they also expect it to be a link to the root of your site, and at the moment, it is not. There is currently no obvious way to get from, say, your contact_us.htm page to the root page.

6. Have your "our blog" link go directly to <http://www.interviewbooks.com/our_blog.htm>; there's no need to make the user click twice.

7. It's bad form to use "click here" in link text. There are some people who aren't using mice (they are using a keyboard or tablet or PDA or cellphone), so "click here" doesn't make a lot of sense.

8. Your site is set too wide. I had to resize my browser window larger just to read it. Set your tables at 100% width or use some other way to make the site expand and shrink to the browser's width. (I.e. set no specific width at all.)

I recommend forgetting about "designing" the site. Focus on making the textual content easy to read and navigate. Stick with black text on a white background, blue for hyperlinks.

You are mixing together interviewbooks.com and netsuccessinterviews.com references; pick one and stick with it.
  • malprave
  • Student
  • Student
  • malprave

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am sure you are a luminous author, but your webpage needs a bit of attention.

I am not going to repeat what Sam said, but I will try get more traffic to your site (or atleast make it know to you that that is possible)

To my surprise, you have a Google PageRank of 4. It's almost a shame as a more attractive and user friendly website would result in more traffic. One thing I noticed was that you have no backlinks (Command executed in http://search.yahoo.com - link:http://www.interviewbooks.com/)

You may want to swap links with other sites as your Google PageRank of 4 will allow you to create backlinks with other websites with the same or higher rank (ie. your PageRank will increase and so will theirs)

Good Luck
  • heropage
  • heropage

Post 3+ Months Ago

The looking and feel is too bad.
It's not organized!
  • windy
  • windy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agree with Sam. You have a site with good content,
but maybe you can find some template to improve the looks of your site. For more infor see my signature.
  • lucina
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Taxco, Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am no big expert but it would not be very difficult for you to improve
the look of your website quite a bit if you would put some order into
the way the titles are displayed on the page and if I were you I would
add a few graphics to brighten the look so it does not look as if your
website were an government office index or something dreary like that.
  • datums
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • datums

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would recommend, first starting with a consistent layout.
Organize your information, currently things look scattered.
Instead of trying to reorganize what you have, start from scratch.
Also the images on the left hand side are not scaling down properly.
  • asmuni
  • Born
  • Born
  • asmuni

Post 3+ Months Ago

confusing with the menus. Consider to use more graphic to make your site much interesting to visit. There is a lot of free web templates you can use for your site.
  • varunbihani
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varunbihani
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could not find anything on the site to give any review..
site is just filled with big website's links nothing else. no design nothing...
  • bingojackson
  • bingojackson
  • Loc: Manchester UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without repeating the valid points made above, the site could do with a few updates. There seems to be a lot of duplication in some of the pages, so you have less content than it first appears. You could easily get rid of a couple of the pages. Some others could be merged together.

The site would look better if it was redesigned in xhtml and css. You are selling a book about how website's made money for the owners and it's my feeling that the site you use to sell your book should reflect the lessons learned from them.

Get a proper logo instead of just using text, and sort out the link colours. It's also a good idea not to mix serif and sans serif fonts, it never quite looks good.

The amazon boxes are off the screen on my monitor (1024 by 768) if you move them somewhere more visible you'll probably sell more books.

Apologies if these comments seem a little harsh but I do think your site is not doing you any favours. If you'd like any help with a redesign feel free to mail me. I could maybe knock a template together for you.
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its very all over the place. There doesnt seem to be a set order.
Its confusing as the user, upon enetering your site does not immediately catch on to what its about.
There are so many links and headers and titles its like a webmaze.
Tidy it up, use columns or tables. Get a simple colour scheme.
Have a welcome not or explanation note that is a brief but informative description of what your site is about.
  • amit_it7
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know your site is not looks good at all.....u have used a lo'ts of blue anchor tags and there is no attractivness that is required....So please try to change..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers