SITE REVIEW: www.jamesgreb.com

• G$
  • G$
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

First time using Flash. Go easy on the functionality of the sight--what I really need is feedback on the design and the setup of the navigation. The only link that works right now is the "3D Design" link under projects... It will give you an idea of how the sight flows. Thanks!

http://www.jamesgreb.com/graphics.html
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site isn't loading
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The load up was pretty quick, the design looks awesome the transitions were great. Seeing as only the 3D Design page was done, if you're going to make the rest of the sections similar, you should do a couple of things. First of all, make sure each section has a title, letting me know what page I'm currently viewing. You should also work on the navigation, add a back button to go to the previous page in the sub-menu. It took me a little while to realize I could click on that almost transparent X at the bottom to go back. You should make that option more obvious. Maybe instead of an X you can put the word Back in the circle? Anyway, since there's not much else to critique, good luck with the rest. You'll also need to work on your meta tags and get your site validated through W3C after its all said and done.
  • flame5
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flame5

Post 3+ Months Ago

the design looks great, i love the soft curves, it is very easy on the eyes. i agree with the 'x' comment, make it a back button. lookin good. 9/10.

moneeb
cybercyst.com
  • gsgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gsgfx
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't get this...the links aren't working and the content hasn't loaded. Are we supposed to review in this current state? (To be honest, I don't even see where the content is supposed to be going.) Well, the design is looking sleek and everything blends nicely. When you look at someone;s layout you can easily tell what their site is about but I can't really say anything about yours. Try at least adding a motto in your design to give the visitors a hint as to what your site is about.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a hard time believing this is your first time in Flash! If it is, is sure isn't your first time at graphic design. I really like it! However, the actual coding aspect isn't so hot. Your validation report came back with a lot of errors. It's mostly due to the fact that embedding flash doesn't fit well with the w3c. Look up the Satay Method for embedding flash or you can use JavaScript. Maybe add a little flash detection? The Moock script will help you embed the flash without errors and will detect if a user has flash (most of the time). Something to consider in the future? Also add a title to your site, that's a big part of SEO as well as simple aesthetics. If you're site doesn't have a title, then I'm forced to remember the URL otherwise I might not be able to find your site again. Finally, I didn't notice a pre-loader (though it does load fast on my dsl connection). Maybe look into that as well. All in all, wonderful job, the look grabs my attention right away and it has some serious depth. Just fix a few minor problems and you're set!
  • G$
  • G$

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all of your feedback; I'm already hard at work on fixing these things. As for the title of the site, I'm still not even sure what it is going to be. I dabble in a little bit of everything when it comes to digital media and this site is suppose to promote me. I was thinking about this for the title: James Greb Digital Studios?
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simply wow. If that is your first time at flash I need to re-evaluate my website making potential lol. Great design and those transitions are awesome.

I want to make a flash site like that, but honestly don't know where to begin.

How do you make transitions like that -- those are great.
  • blackhart
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blackhart
  • Loc: Hartbeat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know that title seems kind of week compared to the sick design of the site. madd props. I think i need to learn flash and action script. and how to design stuff cuz my site looks like chopped liver compared to urs. nice layout man.
  • YORDANOVassil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I think is that everything is too big! I cannot observe the whole site, have the feelin a giant machine is gonna eat me! :shock:

Nice flash work at all! Waiting to see your next projects!

Go ahead!
  • G$
  • G$

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. I was wondering when somebody was going to say something about that. :P Not very 800x600 friendly at all, I know.
  • samohtwerdna
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the site and the design concept. I once tried to create a site with flash that had to futuristic projectors on the left and right of the screen. When the user clicked a link the projectors would open. Your idea of placing the projector behind the viewer is very unique. The color scheme is nice and the effect is welcoming, no matter what your content is. Good Job!

The close button is not necessarily obvious or intuitive, but I would hate for you to label it!!
  • Digo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Digo
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Considering that this is your first go at flash, its pretty awsome. Good Show
  • keef
  • keef
  • Loc: cambridge uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I loved the graphic what did you use to build it ? Took a while to load and as you said no links running
  • ad0beaddict
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

whao it fliped out on my broswer and was making weird noises it looks like u tried to make it full sscreen my browser was compatible nice music tho
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

O.O Awesome site !!! Nice flash skills , although some links are not working , i hope you are still working on them. I really liked the colors you used , the sound effect and everything.There is nothing to criticize :D
  • G$
  • G$

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about the fullscreen thing--just messing around. I should have waited to post my site for review, but I wasn't sure how my site would react to other peoples' systems/connections, so I just wanted to test it really and get some feedback. I'll be done soon...

Thanks for all your help, everybody!!! :D
  • G$
  • G$

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty much finished, with a few things that still need ironing out. Let me know what you think... This is my first time doing a site in Flash.

Thanks!

http://www.jamesgreb.com
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it so far, but I feel like the overall animation is a bit overboard...like the projector looking thing (???) in the background...kinda unnecessary, and the navigation is hard to follow...I got lost a couple of times getting around. Very good looking full flash site though. Better than I could think up. :D Great job.
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good site. Need to improve.
Also navigation is difficult
  • hasnatme
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if this is really your first flash site...I can imagine what you are!!! Bravo man..you will go top one day......I loved your work..hope you gonna finish it soon..the music loops is great too!!! Anyway you should have html version too because of SEO.

Regards,
Hasnat Hamil (Robin)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers