SITE REVIEW: www.jeremy-lang.com

• jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok everyone here we go. I have launched about 95% of my new site and I wanted to get your feedback. I used a fluid CSS layout that seems to work great in IE...however, it is totally broken in netscape. I have no idea why. Maybe rtm can tell me that one. It was a huge change from absolute positioning.

I'm looking for specific feedback on a few things, but all is welcome.

Useability/navigation. I tried to make several way to get to key areas of my site. I plan to add a site map, but mostly for SE not for visitors.

Content. It is not complete (and probably never will be) but let me know what you think. Also, if you have an article that would be appropriate let me know and we may be able to get it on. A note on the forums-I'm looking for moderators. Last thing on content-strategic partners-I'm looking for related companies that are not in direct competition. I think I want to stay at 5.

Graphics. Some of the pics may not be appropriate for the subject. Any photographers who have something that would be suitable let me know and we can include a credits page with a link to your site. (I'd like to do something similar with music too)

Code. As I have said before-it's not my strongest point but thanks to this board and the more than helpful people (rtm, ATNO, carnix, and dm in particular) it has greatly improved. In any case let me know where the code can be improved. I had mentioned earlier that it is totaly broken in NS and I have no idea why.

My products page is still under development

Help me get some content in my forums, post something please!!!

I think thats about it. Let me know what you think :D

http://www.jeremy-lang.com
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

looking at the broken-ness of the page, started by validating the css. That didn't work so I went to see what was wrong with the html. Thats a bit cryptic but if you look at the bottom of the source:
Code: [ Select ]
   Success Discussion Forums</a>
     <br clear="all" />
  </div>
 </div>
</div>
</body>

</html>ss Discussion Forums</a>
     <br clear="all" />
  </div>
 </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>/html>
  1.    Success Discussion Forums</a>
  2.      <br clear="all" />
  3.   </div>
  4.  </div>
  5. </div>
  6. </body>
  7. </html>ss Discussion Forums</a>
  8.      <br clear="all" />
  9.   </div>
  10.  </div>
  11. </div>
  12. </body>
  13. </html>/html>

Strip all the extra and you get valid html.

I tried validating the CSS file itself and got these results. Which is not an error, per se, and should not affect your layout.

So where does this leave us? Wellll, you have this in the top of your page:
Code: [ Select ]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

This, like not having a full doctype, will throw IE into "quirks mode", so it has the IE5x style broken box model (amongst other things). Removing this line will give the following results:

1) you lose the orange arrows on the scroll bar
2) you get cross browser conformity.

Sadly, the cross-browser in this case means that IE looks like Netscape did. It really really helps to start code for a standards compliant browser first and then "dumb-down" for the rest. I know this may not seem very helpful, but a CSS recode is all I can suggest.

As an actual site review, I like the site. It's nice and clean, which makes sense for the subject, and is well laid out. For looks it would not stick in my mind as having anything special about it, but I don't really think that matters. Navigation is nice - simple and intuitive. I like how you have general tips for men, it gives a much less commercial feel to the site and helps to justify the forums, plus it seems like the company genuinely cares about the customer, rather than just trying to sell their poducts.

The useability and accessibility is good (all your alt text is there, and I can use text zoom in IE - yay). You say the site map is mainly for SE bots, but there is no reason why it can't be styled up a little just so it caters for the users too.

It's a nice site, just a shame about the browser issues. Keep up the good work
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, I took a look and my HTML was valid (at least the index) but I did make one small change anyway. I deleted the line that had the utf-8 thing in it and it still validates. I made some changes to the CSS and it validates now. The page is still broken in NS. The thing thats odd about this is that I took the 3 column that you gave me a link to and modified it, so it should work.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put the utf thing back. It needs to at least display correctly in one browser till I can get it fixed :roll:
  • Starla_Rae

Post 3+ Months Ago

First let me say that your website is very appealing to the eye. It has a good balance to it. I was viewing it in IE 6. There are only a few small details I would like to point out. They are not so great that it makes a huge difference, but they are something I noticed. I like the pictures that you chose for your articles. The one thing about them that I noticed is that they have a slight hazy distortion to them. They could be crisper looking. There is one photo that is funny looking. Its on the Guarantee page. The guy to the left is so big that the guy to the right looks like a hobbit. *smirks*

Another thing I noticed is if I click on the retailer login and then click cancel on the pop-up login gump I get "Authorization Required" page and I have to tab back to get back to your site. I am not sure if you can do something where if someone clicks cancel they return to your site or there is a link displayed to return. I guess it is just one of my quirks. The only other thing that I will comment on is the color yellow you chose for your forums. I would chose more of an orangy yellow, but that is preference. I just think it would make your forums more eye candy.

That is my 2 cents. I hope you can see my view.

Starla

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers