SITE REVIEW: www.JiansNet.com

• briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am revamping my website from a site search service provider to a question and answer type of site. You can take a look at it http://www.JiansNet.com

As you can see, I have both Chinese and English content up there. I am wondering if it makes sense to make two websites, say, en.JiansNet.com for English and cn.JiansNet.com for Chinese (and English)? But by splitting the backend database into two, it adds complexity to manage two websites, rather than just one website to maintain.

Please provide some suggestions. Thanks,

Jian
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I've finally separated the Chinese website from the English website. So now JiansNet.com is totally English. Any comments welcome!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly there are the 28 validation errors that you could sort out ...

Then, the site is very empty ... there's almost nothing on there but text. to be honest, it's a little boring without an image, maybe just add a header image at least.

Next there is no description on the site of what it's about, so I have no idea what it does or how it works, it's just there. From what I get, it's almost like "Yahoo! Answers" right?

and then, how does one answer a question that hasn't been answered yet? I wanted to answer a question, but couldn't ...
  • briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for reviewing the site, righteous_trespasser. Much appreciated!

I will take a look at the 28 validation errors and try to fix those.

Regarding the site being empty and just text, I envisioned the site to be a simplified version of Yahoo! Answers. Sort of no fluff just stuff. The model I am going after is Google type of simplicity. Maybe I have errored too much on keeping it simple?

For no description about what the site is, I will add an About Us page. Hope that could explain about the purpose of the site better.

Lastly, to answer a question, you have to register an account, then, login and you should be able to answer the question.

Since the site is relatively new, lot of things need to be perfected. I am very grateful for you and others in this forum for identifying the features that should be improved!
  • briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, this is a site that I built to experiment a different approach to search. Instead of crawling the web, this is more like knowledge search and social/human powered search.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can see that you were going for the simplistic look, and I'm not saying that it's all bad, all I am saying is that it may be too simple ... even google has an image ... about the errors, if you are having trouble sorting them out, we all here at ozzu will help sort them out ...
  • briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the quick reply. Again much appreciated. Regarding the logo, I think I could design a good logo or ask my friend to do it for me. That's in the work.
  • briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I did further changes so now it is like this:
http://www.JiansNet.com is the front site for the q and a service.
http://en.JiansNet.com is the English FAQ site.
http://cn.JiansNet.com is the Chinese FAQ site.
  • briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Instead of several websites, I combined the English and Chinese version back to one piece.

It is always a struggle to have a bilingual website. But, I am making it easy enough for English audience to navigate through as well.

For example, I made the navigational elements as English only. Since the Chinese community in USA could also see English no problem ;-)

Also, the content could be either bilingual or purely English. So, not a complete loss when an English-only audience look at a particular page.

I think keeping just one site is a lot easier for me to maintain. Anyway, Google, being an international search engine, they handle all languages well, so, why can't I?

Any comments welcome, as most people here are English-only, so, would like to hear your feedback.

Much appreciated!
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only other thing I can add is that you might want to have some rollover effects for the links, like an underline or similar.
  • briteguy1227
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • briteguy1227

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will think about it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers