Post 3+ Months Ago

• Anty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Anty
  • Loc: Switzerland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

First of all, I also designed my 1st website when I was 16 : http://www.imaginascent.net/alliance
As you can see, at 16 I was able to use flash and photoshop to make a flash website. So this isn't an excuse to be 16 and making a "not very graphic" site. :)

It all depends on the time you want to spend on the design of your site. So far, what can I say ? Well it really looks like plain text. No fun. Now you have made your site, you can work on the graphic part so that more visitors will come.

I think a design like http://www.hattrick.org would suit your site.

Apart from that, the site seems to be ok.
  • dummer01
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad
  • gaparker
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England, uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site could use a really busy background, try using photoshop and learn how to use flash, trust me it helps, im working on a web now and im 14, so just learn from sratch and pick up tutaurials.
  • criserb
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your stile
  • Ashes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: The bosom of Dixie.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to set the background color for your site. At the moment, it varies with the users default.

Also try using colors or borders to seperate the content. It's sort of all just there, right now.

And, definitely get a new banner. :)
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

loving the downloads man, its hard to get a free ver of k++ . design wise, not bad at all altho it looks a bit too simplistic in my opinion
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly, age DOES NOT MATTER in website design, last of all in an online community. Who cares how old this guy is if this guy is younger and can do more. It all comes with experience. Personally I started with the graphics end, so graphics site come easier for me. Maybe he started with html, who cares, everybody is different.

As for the site, I agree with Ashes, you need borders. Even 3 black lines or something, just to seperate it. Yes white space is an effective agent, but not utilizing it is also just as ineffective as not using white space. You should put a footer with links to the rest of the pages on the bottom of the site, some people detest scrolling back up just to go to a dif page. Possibly taking out the italics on the mouseovers might be a good idea as well, italics keep looking less and less professional...
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

your contents are pretty good, your layout is very simple and i can understand if u are not so much into the graphics. But there's a few things you can work on to make it look better. like changing the banner as header and actually make one. That would enhance the look greatly.

Use border like the rest suggested. It adds structure and make your site looks organize. The white bg can stay but it can also go and be replace with something much nicer. You've got a good idea. just give your site the time it deserves.

Right about now i'm working on a layout and PS crash...hoping for it to come around right now cuz i didn't save. don't know why i said all that....
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does your site offer to the visitor? This cannot be seen immediately.
  • lennyc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lennyc
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

8) You could use some pictures but being your 16 it was overall a good website.
  • Funk Doc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Funk Doc
  • Loc: London, England.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say your site has good fuctionallity and content, but lacking in style. Looks like not much thought has gone into the design.
Fonts look amateurish and colours used aren't great.

You have a good base to improve on though and I can see your site becoming popular.
  • oygab
  • oygab

Post 3+ Months Ago

More colors/pictures!
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome aboard Peter (fellow KopTalker) 8)

I've been a visitor to your site a few times, and I think you found this site through my recommendation :D

One thing I think a lot of people like about websites which have a forum, is when the wesbite matches the forum, in terms of colours and effects. For example your hover effect on your website is to have red underlined font, while your forum has black over-and-underlined font.

Overall you have a good layout, and this is a nice first website. However I think if you take everyone's comments so far (re. colors, fonts' borders) into consideration you will improve your site no-end.

Well done!
  • smilinjackhappy
  • smilinjackhappy
  • Loc: pacific beach, ca

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your site, a great beginning! Great logo!
Minimalism is good, in my opinion.
You're site appears mature, because it seems to be content driven.
Reliance upon images is trite and bespeaks LACK OF VISION.
You have vision, which is more important to a web site than purty colors.

Speaking of colors, I would suggest complimentary colors (i.e.-orange,yellow,or purple.)

I would suggests spending some time with the layout, via css.
(but, I love css). I agree with the previous posts suggesting organization of the information. Look into Information Architecture. A dry subject, I realize, but your visitor's experience (good,bad. indifferent)with your site, vis-a-vis flow, has to do how they move throughout your site.

I PM a few specifics if you'd like.

-Mikey
  • NicLiew
  • NicLiew
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm 15 at the moment, your site looks good, it's always good to see young webmasters showing their stuff off. The website is quite simple, simple not being bad but being fast loading. The bad thing about being simple is the lack of colours, graphics, etc. As much as i hate to see a full on graphics website, i don't want to see a naked website <- naked being a site with few colours and few graphics.

The logo could do with some splicing up, the menu (i would think) would look better clinging to the menu bar (there's a small gap). Other than that, afew colours, graphics and you'll be on your way!

Goodluck in the future with your website :wink:
  • Salohcin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Salohcin
  • Loc: Lower Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you like the color Red? lol j/k

man that red just jumps right out at you and with the white it is a real eyeball splasher.....

first your forums.....one of the best things about forums is that you can change your design on a regular basis and not really have loading problems because there not graphics heavy...you can completely customize your colors and text adding this taking away that and best part is that it is easy as pie.....I suggest a whole new design for your forums and of course add a banner something easy done in paint shop pro or photoshop with your site title and a nice bckgrnd......

Second your website...try switching your white background to black your black text to white and your red borders everywhere to a off grey color....of course you can use any colors you want but i am thinking those colors would run well together....

and i noticed your forum being new is still small so i wanted to say good luck with that....

Nick
  • MrChico
  • MrChico

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Peter,

I liked your site and I think you did a good job.

Personally I prefer minimalist design to sites full of graphics and animations. I think simple, professional looking sites are the way to go (take google as an example). Nonetheless, your site needs a few more touches. Borders, for instance, would help your visitors understand how the page is divided, and where one section ends and another starts.

Also, on the forum page you've used black text on a red background which is hard to read. White works much better on a red background, and it would also fit in better with the design of your index page. In general, try to give all your pages a uniform design so that the visitor still feels at home when he moves from one page to another, and doesn't feel like he's moved to a new site.

As far as the form of your site is concerned (not forum - form) you seem to have it together - the site has a lot of information that is easy to navigate. But it is true that it's hard to understand what the usage of your site is. If I hadn't read your explanation about the purpose of the site it would have taken me a while to figure it out. So add a slogan under the title of the site that gives a laconic description of what it's there for.

You're on the right track Peter, keep it up.

Good luck,
MrChico

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers