SITE REVIEW: www.LiquidLucidity.tk

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I know it is a .tk, but only for a short while...and yes I really can't afford 8 dollars right now.

Anyway the site http://www.LiquidLucidity.tk

This is my first attempt at making a site that is pure CSS. I am glad that I tried this, because I will never use tables again. hehe.

I am really proud of this one, and I have been up for the past 36 hours making it. Sorry there isn't a whole lot of content right now, but the point is there.

Let me know what you think, or any issues with any of your browsers or resolutions....thank you
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it, its a great start. Clean code, nice work.

I am curious, did you create an image and have the text ontop of the image as the button? That way you can call a:hover and make it look like a rollover effect?

I looked at the code this morning, but now I'm at work and can't open it to make sure.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I used the text on top as the link, and I used a little DHTML to give the text a glow to stand out more. But you can't see it in firefox
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
yes I used the text on top as the link, and I used a little DHTML to give the text a glow to stand out more. But you can't see it in firefox

*sites and waits 5 minutes for site to load*

*yawn*

doesnt work..
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

also another problem that i had with .tk, it seems that the first time you click, sometimes it won't load

http://www.lucidity.vladdracworld.com
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks nice, altho im not so fan of neon, should center it, idk, I luv centered websites for a strange reason.. yea.. code looks clean.. :P
  • CrazyP

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel the the images on the links should be clickable and have a rollover, instead of just the text.

use this guide
http://wellstyled.com/css-nopreload-rollovers.html

it served me very well on the webiste I finished. no javascript, very little CSS, the image will rollover and if you wnat it can change the text color too. works in both IE and firefox
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know I was thinking about doing something just like that but I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. What I wanted to do is have it change the image slightly on rollover. Thanks alot for the link! I will probably have that changed by tonight
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it sure took a long while for the site to load up.
I am running on a 56 k. u shld change hosting when you are done with it..
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

i love the artwork, how did you make the 3d graphics?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

3ds max and blender3d.

hmmm, I don't know why it took so long to load for you. Usually my host is pretty good. I will try to check it out for myself on 56k, but I don't see why it would be slow. Thanks for the heads up though, maybe I will have to change hosting.
  • Antigen
  • Antigen

Post 3+ Months Ago

some comments.. the color scheme is really off.. i would suggest toning the colors down couse i got sick of looking at it a long time before i had gone through the entire content..

i think you should get it center aligned if you did all that in css centeraligning wouldnt be that hard..

the menu is somewhat unique but the colors really clash and thats not a good thing.. try finding one color you like and stick to it.. if your having trubble matching colors a good way to start is to use gray coulse gray works with evrything and after a while you cant start replacing the gray with other colors..

thats about all the suggestions i have..
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fairly nice site :0 Needs centering as someone pointed out... Looks odd on the top right of my screen. Colors definitely don't clash together.. You need to add back buttons so when I'm viewing your art I can just click back and fourth through it. I don't know what's the big deal with this CSS :? Every site i've seen designed in its code just doesn't look good at all... Probably just me :twisted: Good work though

Later
:arrow: SycomCOmp :idea:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, it's amazing how many people say "oh, no css layouts for for me", but then anyone who actually does the unthinkable and tries, finds it a really liberating experience. Welcome to the light side vlad :D

My personal thought was that it is a little too dark. As you can see with the service 6 site I've been working with dark colours and found it really hard to do. A completely black screen is quite dificult to look at, and I'm wondering how it will appear on a large monitor.

Also, because the main body has no contrast with the background, i find that it is difficult to stay focussed on the part I'm reading. Even though it is not a content-based site, I found it difficult to even read the two paras on the front page.

I also felt that there were too many different colours on the page. I am big fan of simplicity. As antigen mentioned, it's best to work with a neutral colour as the base, typically white or grey and pick a couple of colours to go with it. Despite black being neutral it has a very oppressive feel to it.

If you want some pointers in the CSS direction, next step is to try styling up your links into lists with <ul> and <li> tags, so you are not using divs for everything. http://www.alistapart.com have a good tutorial on styling lists. Good luck and I Look forward to seeing those CSS rollovers as well :)

@ SycomCOmp:
Quote:
Every site i've seen designed in its code just doesn't look good at all
It's because when you put images in divs, the browsers have trouble rendering them :roll: huh? How can you tell whether a site is designed with this code or not? Do you view source and check on every site you visit? Think about it, if I gave you a list of links, would you be able to tell me, just by looking at the rendered site, which were created with tables and which with divs?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your artwork is very good and unique and your technical skill is good. For a first website it ok...I llike the colours and its in the style of your artwork so I would stick with it or just the Green+Red+Black.

Consider:

1. For the main font: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
2. Left menu: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif
3. Centre the site.
4. Homepage: put a small bit of artwork with the text.

My Personal tastes:

Feels too blocky. Consider a more magazine type of layout or round-off/fade/extent-across-screen some of the harsh corners maybe the header and footer.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO-no offence but it's very cluttered and busy. Tone down your backgrounds a bit. The site is also very slow.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got my adsl today. and yr site is still loading slow. guess you realli have to change hosting. lol
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I will center the site and add rollovers hopefully tonight. After that I may even rehaul the whole site. I was designing for 1024x768 and I think that it probably would be impossible to read the text on 1600, and very small as well.

The hosting shall be changed very soon, and hopefully I wont get screwed over my domain name, because I was stupid and bought it through the hosting company.

It is pretty clutered, but I do like the colors. It seems that the images will be many colored so no matter what there is going to be some clashing. Perhaps if I have enough content I may change the hue of the thumbnails to make it a little easier on the eyes.

It does seem pretty cluttered and perhaps just need some spacing out.

Appreciate the comments everyone.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I went ahead and centered all of it. I really need to learn some php, because I had to go in and modify each html file with new code, and that is extremely tedious.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers