SITE REVIEW: www.madebykitchen.com

• nathanb
  • nathanb
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello all,

I'm new to these forums and i've recently created a portfolio site in flash. have a look at it and give me some feedback!

There are some mismatching fonts and minor things i'm still working on, but go crazy, any feedback would be appreciated.

find it at: http://www.madebykitchen.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a good site. Great work in the portfolio. There is something lacking though, maybe just a splash of color here and there would really bring it to life.
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is way too dark and drab. That's probably the look you were going for with all the black, but it doesn't look visually appealing. The effects are neat, but with all the darkness it just looks like a really depressing site.
  • Yambot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, its too dark and make depressive
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site but I must say the bg is a bit distracting and makes it hard to read the contents. That's the big beef i have with this site, that's all. Otherwise. Nice site.
  • Jibran
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Lucknow, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the birds flying about, but a little colour would make it look good. Also I'd suggest to work up your fonts a bit. You already know that they are mismatching.

And the main menu page, looks a bit empty. A little bit of color will fix it, no doubt. BTW, since I am pathetic with Flash, I simply love other people who can work with it.

Once again, I love the birdies ;-)
  • nathanb
  • nathanb

Post 3+ Months Ago

some font issues remain, but i've added and tweaked the bg. It should be sexy now. I'm interested if any linux peeps out there have had a look at it. Do the fonts appear?
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well to be brutally honest I think it is a bit basic. I don't know if that is what you were going for but with the developments in flash and server side technologies you have the material to create a great interactive experience.
  • sebastianx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sebastianx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, the geese flying across the screen are very serene and eye-catching but I don't think the colors of the website match that. Also the menu is a bit iffy - I have never liked menus that don't have the pointer change to a hand when over an active hyper-link. Finally, the material (although I am using an extra large browser setting) seems to be squeezed onto the bottom of the page - make it more in the middle and brighten up the site.

~S
  • flashkicks
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • flashkicks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site layout is good, although the geese are attractive and are slightly apeeling they are rather offputting when reading the information. the portolio looks nice and the flash animations are good. maby brighten it up a tad =)

- Fred Vaux
  • SEO_Pro.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: SLC, Ut

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should make an intro page that gives an option for an slash or html version web site. Make sure you put your keywords in the title of your site do not go over 64 characters in title, put keywords in description, put keywords in content of your site and links, and get some people to link to your web site
  • Dustin
  • Loc: Renton, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent job with the flash. I personally like how dark it is, perfect for night time viewing. I agree with SEO_Pro about the intro though. Perhaps make an html version for people on slow connections.
  • acseven
  • acseven
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

The white bars you use for most animations, you could try making them an animated movieclip, that would flash from white to transparent ...

The animations could all be smoother.. They're too fast (for my taste at least)...

the background is by far the best of the all layout, followed by the kitchen title... The birds flying about are great.

My last remark would onto the text holders (titles, text, etc)... They're too plain. You could give them some volume, some roundness... simple rectangles with/without transparency are too simplistic.

overall is good ;)

cheers
  • s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d
  • s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks really professional. I like how the effects you used to implement the transitions from one column to the other.

I'd like to suggest though to implement sound into the site and perhaps use some textured portions of art like a distressed look of where complete dark areas of the site.

Other than that I'd say the site conveys a straightforward aspect of your work and it needs a little more to grab our attention that will stay within our (especially mine) unforgiving short attention span.
  • nathanb
  • nathanb

Post 3+ Months Ago

sithlord: you're right about the needing to grab attention straight away. I'm going to create an animation that plays as soon as the main page loads, it'll be on the right side of the main menu. It'll be animated typography that basically answers "who we are, what we do, use the mouse to explore the menus.." etc. I'm happy with the feel of it but it doesn't hit the user with enough immediate meaning when you first get there.

Also, those colums are all dynamically generated. I've made templates for all the buttons and title headings, and the content for the menus is in some array variables. Eventually i'll integrate this with PHP but for the time being it's contained in the SWF.

aceseven: My design approach is.. sometimes less is more. The site can have different bg's (i designed it over the top of a landscape photo) - hence those menu titles are simple so as to not distract from the content. And the birds are almost distracting enough already ;)

As far as the speed of the animations go, i guess it's a taste thing. I hate those self-indulgent flash sites that take ages between sections due to some laborious transition. I was going for a "ridiculously fast" feel, much as you would see in tv broadcast design, rather than a "click-wait-getbored-see a loading bar-wait a bit longer-finally see some more text" type of thing.

dustin: cheers mate, I am into black at the moment and you're right about the night time viewing as well. I work mostly at night anyway ;)

SEO_pro: you're right about making a HTML version. I've been putting that off for a bit.. html is so boring ;) *ducks for cover*
  • bingojackson
  • bingojackson
  • Loc: Manchester UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it. Which is unusual for me, I generally despise flash sites. This is one of the better ones I have seen recently. The dark colors work pretty well, the birds are cool and a little different. I'm not sure about the way the text types itself out, I read faster than the words appear so that annoys me a bit, but it's a nice touch.

Instead of HTML 4.01, do an XHTML site using CSS. This is the way forward at the moment. Stick to the new web standards and show your clients that you can future proof their sites. It's also easier to make changes to match the changable background of the flash version since you only have to alter one file (the CSS).
  • Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quiote like it although its too dark and i think it would be a good idea to splash color around the place a bit and liven it up, although i'm a beginner and know only html :oops:

but stiull thats what i think could eb done as an improvement, maybe along with some more sound which is always nice on a flash site. :)
  • Aby
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Aby
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a good site especially the flash works
  • tomkuegler
  • tomkuegler

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your site, but one thing really strikes me.

It is not blatantly obvious to me what you do when I get to the site. And with a name like "MadebyKitchen" only adds to the confusion.

Although it is obvious you guys have a strong design background you might want to let people know what is you do.
  • nathanb
  • nathanb

Post 3+ Months Ago

bingojackson: I don't know much about xhtml, can you recommend a good tutorial site / resource place for that?

I've noticed as well that some xhtml sites I've visited seem really slow considering how basic they appear. That's probably a developer mistake tho.

I do have to speed that text up as well. U b right bout that.

And I'm working on a splash anim (similar to the little animation when you go to the work / broadcast section) with some text that talks about the point of the site etc.

thanks heaps for the feedback guys, if anybody else stumbles on this link I'd appreciate more points of view.

Cheers

nathan.
  • Exino
  • Exino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice style, I love the flash stuff. This is something truely different and unique.

Nice site, keep up the great work.
  • Exino
  • Exino

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the design itself. Simple, and unique. The only thing I can think of that maybe I would change, is to add something more colourful in there somewhere. Near the bottom perhaps. But needless to say there isn't to much flawed in this design I believe. It's well constructed.

Perhaps the border colours (transparent gray/black) could be more...emphisized, as right now it seems to be just fading in and out of the picture, which if intended is great, otherwise, you may want to make it more dramatic.

Just overall maybe a lack of colour (outside of the background) and could use a bit more detail to become something far more. Nice work.
  • photos
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • photos

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quite nice, wasn't sure what the site was about though for a minute. Some more color and cooler fonts may be of use. good luck
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm on windows 98SE/firefox... the birds speed appears to be affected by how fast I'm moving my mouse. From very slow (not moving mouse) to comically fast (when I'm moving the mouse quickly)
  • aceindigo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is really good...you have used greatly flash but proffesionaly looking it's very dark try to change it's colour combination...and the white bars you use for most animations, you could try making them an animated movieclip with transperance

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers