SITE REVIEW: www.marketstir.com

• Market Stir
  • Market Stir

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I have created a site http://www.marketstir.com where people can come and learn how to invest. Just a site for teaching and learning. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love your flash at the top but I would make it smaller vertically.

Also, from an SEO point of view (and a design point of view)-move your Google ads to the right side or bottom. SEs see it before your content and it kills your layout. If you are somewhat technical, consider CSS. It will give you more controll over your layout and help you controll what SEs see first.

I would also change you font to a sans serif face. In print media serif fonts are easier to read, but on the internet sans serif are. It has to do with resolution.
  • Market Stir
  • Market Stir

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i really wasnt sure what side to put the google ads on. If i move them to the right side should i also shift the logo and everything. I kind of made it so that there are two primary columns. So do you think it will be okay if i switch the left column over to the right side? THanks for the comments every thing is helpful.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go with 2 or 3 columns, move the logo more to the right, and kill the date and time.l
  • Market Stir
  • Market Stir

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you think i should have the flash header take the top by itself followed by the navbar and the stock ticker all by themselves. Get rid of the logo? and then have 2 columns page content and google ads. Cause i have made lots of money so far on those google ads. Dont really want to get rid of those.
  • DRicher
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DRicher

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the cleanness of your site and the flash but I have a couple of points that you might want to consider:

1. Design elements: I'm sure this isn't your top priority but it is important that your site reflect the business you are in. You want the visiters to your site to have a good outward perception of your company and that begins with the interface. I think you need to examine the overall look of the site and think about how you can make it more corporate and professional. I did a quick search and found CBS's marketwatch as an idea of what I mean: http://mwis.marketwatch.com/

My suggestion is take your flash animation and work with that as the epicenter of your design. Think about the elements that incorporate that graphic and play on those in the body of your site.

2. As mentioned earlier take a look at CSS to help make your text more aligned and clean.

Hope that helps you a bit.
Dave
  • Market Stir
  • Market Stir

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank You All for the great help! I have updated the site but still havent been able to make a css sheet. Will it improve load speed or anything?
  • DRicher
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DRicher

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey lookin good. The new nav bar is attractive. The top of each button tho is cutting into the black area when you rollover it. Just by about a pixel but it is noticable.

CSS is easy and makes your editting of text simpler.

Check out http://www.caffeinefuelled.net/
  • Market Stir
  • Market Stir

Post 3+ Months Ago

K i applied css to my pages. However my nav bar sucks! lol. Css navbars are much tougher to do. Any ideas on how to make a nice css navbar. My site is loading much quicker without an image navbar and i like that. ANy ideas?
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all i must say i love the idea. I might be checking it out in depth cuz i'd like to invest.

I also love you flash header. Very nice. I just wish there was a layout to go with it. You nav bar seems to have shifted to the right or is that intentional. If so *plum* it back. it will look better.

other than that i think it's good. keep it up.
  • DRicher
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DRicher

Post 3+ Months Ago

CSS navbars are nasty due to the way different browsers handle the code--mostly due to a problem of borders and padding.

There are a million tutorials on horizontal nav bars in CSS.

A site I think has nicely constructed ones is http://www.alistapart.com/.

Check them out.

Oh, and with your content: squish it in a bit so it doesn't fill the whole page. It'll look nicer that way.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D Wow, it looks a lot better now! Great job. Two things, increase your margins for the text, and then left justify it. Centered text is VERY difficult to read because people are accustomed to using the ragged right edge to keep there place as they move from line to line.
  • philgill
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,
well i see that you have done what has been suggested earlier and the site looks quite good. Your design for the banner, menu and ticker is good.
The one thing i have a problem with is the actual content on the page.
You could fit all the text in the body of your page into a much smaller and more readable space. Create columns or break the text into more readable, left aligned, columns. Center aligning of the text make it look washed out and overly long.
Good website copy should be about 120 characters long at most with plenty of white space between the columns.
An example of this, although not the best, is here
http://www.cyber-aspect.com/features/fa_017.htm
the text is more compressed with plenty of space for the eye to rest between reading.
Otherwise everything above the ticker looks great.
Keep up the good work and always try to be better.
phil
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Had to check again...you are still improving. :D I noticed a new logo-it looks a little like something from another investing company though (I don't remember which) Might want to watch out on that. I would still bring your margins in a bit on your text. You are doing great!
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Currently I see no title...I get errors on all of the nav...and I agree w/ jlknauff...margins need to come way in!

The blue text on the home page makes one think they might be links...as most unformated links are that color blue. Ya might wanna consider changing the color of that text.

I couldn't see the other pages as the nav is broken...but I would consider adding some images...

the site is layed out efficiently, but overall it comes accross a little bland...too boxy maybe.

I know it sounds like I'm killing your page...I'm not...I think it's good...it's apparent to me...that with a few upgrades your page could be rockin'! I think you're well on your way to something really HOT!
  • Swee
  • Student
  • Student
  • Swee
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Driched who pointed this out ".. with your content: squish it in a bit so it doesn't fill the whole page. " I think if it would look more professional to have it smaller.

2ndly, Maybe you should consider to put a "light" graphic (which would not affect the laoding time). Something which is related to investment.. cos it loosk rather plain on the front. Quite wordy.. although the flash looks appealing. =)

Yup. Thats my 2 cents worth. When u are "steady with ur site", do pass it on ur recipe on how u build that flash :oops:
  • Market Stir
  • Market Stir

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really wish i could post a before and after of this site. I have readjusted it a little. I have addressed concerns from many people and many forums. Tell me what you think about the new site. http://www.marketstir.com

THANKS!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers