SITE REVIEW: www.MothersFamilyRings.com

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone.

I know some of you have already posted some reviews in the other categories, but I am hoping for some more advice here on http://www.mothersfamilyrings.com. This is my own personal site so I really want you to tear into it.

What we know already:

1/ Rollover text color needs to be changed and will.
2/ Banner. I am working on changing the banner as it is nothing pretty to look at.
3/ White/Black backgrounds. All of the original pictures had black backgrounds, so I am slowly changing all the backgrounds to have the white shadowed background. A few pictures still may be sized incorrectly.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly, I think you already touched on the main problems with your site, at least the ones that initially caught my attention. For example on the index, your links have 3 different fonts, the top menu (home/login) white, categories links are blue and information links are grey. There's just too much contrast, hopefully you'll adapt a single font color for links/rollovers, which I think you are.

Generally, there's not much to complain about really. The banner isnt really all that bad, but if you are considering a change, maybe incorporate jewelry images and give it a more luxurious look. And definitely, if you can, make a banner with flash effects. Seems like everyone is pushing towards that now a days.

In keeping with the index, at the bottom right you have a few links (other resources, mothers rings etc...), it looks a bit squished and hard to read in that spot. Maybe consider moving those link into a centered footer at the bottom of your site. You can follow that up by moving the copyright stuff below that row of links, and it should give a nice finish to the bottom of your webpages. Actually, clicking to go to Step 2 of your process, I noticed you did in fact do something similar. The only thing again, maybe move the copyright image below the links, not to the left. It'll make the footer look a little cleaner.

Clicking on the 3 stones selection, you have 2 pages of selections. Also include that "next" page link at the bottom of the screen, so the user doesnt have to go all the way back up to see the next page. Its also more convenient because by the time you're at the bottom of the screen, thats when you want to see that there's more selections.

After making a selection (step 3), where you have the previous, product listing, and next links, put a border around that, maybe light grey. There's just too much white space around that area, you should define it a little more. Also, that image you have that lets us view a larger version of the ring, I wasnt sure exactly what the image was. I think you should stick with a worded link "View Larger Image" or if you can get an image of a magnifying zoom icon, put that there instead. The image you currently have doesnt really make sense (to me at least).

Stopping short of purchasing an $88 ring, I'll end my review there! Its a rather impressive site and once you get the links and everything sorted out, you should have no problems giving off a professional look and feel. In fact, you already do. Your navigation was great and you do a great job of guiding a customer through each step of the purchase. Great job.
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is nicely designed and I like current banner with the clouds. I think the picture on the homepage should also show a Dad [as that's who usually gives the rings to mom ;)]. Since you ship pretty valuable items, your About page should tell a little more about your company (i.e., what country/state are you based in?)
Quote:
please call our contact us
oughta fix that. :wink: Otherwise, the site is very well done...now if only I had a payday comin' soon, I'd by Ma somethin' for Mother's Day.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great reviews guys. I am going to work on all your points, which were all great. I'll start making these changes and post it again once it's done. Thanks!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice looking.

The only thing that I can see that may be a little difficult for people navigating this site is that it may be difficult to find the home page. I can see it well, but perhaps put an additional link in the nav bar. Plus to sign up for your newsletter you have to do it from the home page. Perhaps even better you could put the subsribe form in all the pages as well.

Very nice layout...meh, I dig the banner
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The banner needs work. You really could put some menus under the banner where you currently have home - login.

Get rid of |_ on your side menus. It looks awful. Change the mouseover colours too. I like the homepage, is it taken from a template? Looks good either way.

Move the email text area away from the edge a little more. Doesnt look right. Change the text colour, grey on grey doesnt work.

You go from floating images to images with black backgrounds. Needs to be uniform. White background looks better.

The add to cart section is pretty important. Id move it to the top. Down the bottom could mean it may be overlooked, especially given different screen resolutions.

Apart from that, looks good.

RJ
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heya vetofunk,

Only a few little things that can see, some typos on the following:

Quote:
How long will it take for my Shipment to Arrive?
For all 14kt yellow and white gold items, please allow 3 days for creation and 2-4 days for delivery or 1 day 1-2 day delivery with the Overnight shipping option.Please allow 2-3 weeks for the shipment if you would like 18kt yellow gold or platinum.

Needs a space between: option.Please

Quote:
Do you Ship Internationally?
Not online currently. If you are interested in getting your item shipped Internationally, please call our contact us.

Two things I noticed: Not online currently - not sure what this means, maybe it needs to be re-worded. Other small thing was: 'please call our contact us' should be please call or contact us (via our website).

The images on the Step 2 section - to choose the design, the images have been auto-reduced from 300x300 to 100x100. The images are jagged and don't look so good. Maybe I'm just being a pedantic designer but I feel if you are asking people to buy something like this off the internet then it is important all images are in the best possible shape they can be in.

Then in the actual ring item, the image is auto-reduced from 300x300 to 150x150.

I've attached an example of the comparison so you know what I mean

(100x100)

There is an easy way to reduce the size of all images at once using Photoshop, its called the batch tool, I posted a tutorial on it on Ozzu in the graphics section.

Like I said, it just depends on how far you want to go with it, to me the images are the most important thing that is going to sell your product, so you want them to look the best they can :D

Lastly, I didn't see it on there, but it would be a good idea to have a page on the ring sizes and customers can print it out and place their current rings over it and see what size they are.

Otherwise its a great shop, its so easy to navigate, the gems are in nice shape and you make choosing a gift easy!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You better hurry. Mother's day is only a few weeks away *smiles.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers