SITE REVIEW: WWW.NDNINC.ORG

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I try to keep this updated as much a possible, new info, good look.
It's not one of my priorities but a weekly task.
Let me know what you all think.

http://www.newdirectionsnw.org
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the Section " Company events " And " Company Info " The text looks messy, Somewhat untidy In my opinion, And The idea of the Google search bar at the top of your website I do not like.

It's Good to see that all the links are working without any issues. And all the photos seem to be loading fine.

All in all it's a good looking website, Good work.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you refering the the General Info page? What would you sugest? Did you notice the dates on the Events page? 2005 I don't do much with that page and may remove it. Also the training page, nobody informs me when there is a training.

thanks for looking!
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes the General Info page, The text seems very messy, Cant you make it so its aligned to the left or something? Just to make it look tidy?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did concur with the top part of that page so I alligned it left. I did leave the actual privacy policy in the "form" look.

The Google Search just kinda fills in a blank space. I used to have this as my home page so it was nice to have the search there...... any suggestions on that?

Thanks for your input so far. Nice to have an outside opinion.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well As for the google search, You could move it to the bottom of your website. But then you would need to fill them emptry space so I thought you could do one of these.

1 ) Extend / Move The current banner you have ( company logo ) So it covers the top of the full page.

2 ) Add a picture of " Baker House " or any other image that could fill the space.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, in random order:

the picture on the SCCI Summit page is the only one that has a blue border around it, even though all the pictures are clickable. I'd say take it off.

why do you choose to have a scrolling div for the main content and have the footer fixed on the page? I think it would look nicer if you let the main content run down the page - one scroll bar less (this way it's showing me two, one for the whole page and one for the main div), and the footer can always float beneath everything. this way it's fixed at a good size (approximately) for the monitor I'm viewing at right now, but I know at home on my big monitor it would seem strange....

on the galleries - people page you've made thumbnails from whole images, but you've changed their proportions, so people look squished in them... it would be nicer if you just reduced their size to the appropriate width keeping the same proportions, and then cut off bits of the picture to make it the right shape for a thumbnail.... that way the thumbnail will not show the entire picture, but what it does show won't be skewed

I agree with penguin that the google search thing is a bit too much - maybe you don't have to kill it entirely but at least make it smaller? you could also make a full-width banner for the header section - if you want I can try and make you some ideas....? (not that I promise they'll be brilliant or anything...)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I removed the image border
I moved the Google Search
I streached the Main page so it only scrolls on the longest sub page.
I'm not too worried about the galleries... not too many people actually look there.
I expanded the menu on the left.
What do you think? Thanks in Advance!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That actually looks a lot better, IMO. For me it's always the little things......

here's a funny thing though - on that longest sub-page of the main page - yep, I get a scroll bar in IE7, but I don't get one in Firefox. And frankly I like how it looks in FF much better than IE7, although the difference is admittedly fairly small. but in IE the main div on all your pages has a funny border around it, blackish on the top and left side, and pale grayish on the bottom and right. and the longest sub page of the main page still has a scroll. In firefox, however, these borders are invisible, and in my opinion this makes the site look infinitely cleaner. And there is no pesky scroll, even on the long page.

if you could make it always look like it does in FF now, I think your job would be done!
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you mean about the difference between FF and IE7. I don't know if I ever looked at it with FF before. I'm just not sure which way I prefer. FF looks cleaner, but IE7 seems to organize it more............ I'll toss that one around for a bit before I make a choice. I may be adding a bit of info to the page here soon.....

Thank you all for your help and if you have any more coments please let me know.
  • serena z
  • Born
  • Born
  • serena z

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice!
  • ecuffo
  • ecuffo

Post 3+ Months Ago

The white background is very bright and hurts the eyes a little. Have you thought about doing a very light gray background? It could make it easier on the eyes.

I'm normally not too fond of column navigation menus. I'm a firm believer of horizontal navigation for main parts of your site. I don't mind the menu on the left but maybe adding a horizontal menu with the main navigation links would help users click on links. A lot of people don't like to read and I think having the general links in a horizontal bar would increase clicks to parts of the site.

I would put a line break after your footer image before the copyright so it's not right on the footer image.
  • arismawan
  • arismawan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Think it would be more neat if you use justify the text rather than center it. And also the logo is not sharp enough a litle bit blurry inside the cross. But A like the way you serve the link. :)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'm normally not too fond of column navigation menus

left-side navigation is actually statistically most used, and polls state most users prefer it
Quote:
I Think it would be more neat if you use justify the text rather than center it

the text is not centered, it's aligned left with an indent for the first line. but I agree it could look neater justified.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, i'll check that out.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Made a couple changes to the Home Page, can ya check it out and let me know if it looks ok?

http://www.newdirectionsnw.org
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't believe no one has said anything about this yet, so I guess I'll take the liberty of doing so:

iFrame.

Now don't worry, I'm not going to spend my whole post here giving you *plum* about using the frame, but you already know what I'm going to say. It's incredibly SEO-unfriendly. It limits your users. Blah blah blah blah blah.

I like the design overall. Perhaps one of your rainy-afternoon projects could be to convert the thing to standard HTML+CSS.

Anyways, the information is well laid out and I had no trouble getting directly to what the website was about.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

//I have not read any of the other responses ...

Firstly ... the W3C Validator found 48 errors ... you can click here to see them in action ...

If you look above your logo, there is a little blue piece (like a corner) that is blue ... oh, wait, it's a link ... and it goes to this page ... If you want to hide the link better, maybe make it another colour ... like white ...

Then please disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example if a user is on the "bakerhouse" page, disable the "bakerhouse" link and make it another color (or rollover state) so users won't redirect to the page that they are already on and will know exactly where they are by looking at the menu ...

Then below the search bar there are those two options (web and http://www.newdirectionsnw.org) ... firstly I don't think you should make that one a link, because the visitors are already on the site, and I think you should make them the same font and size because it looks strange like it is now ...

In the text on the pages, you indent each first word, now I am not a big fan of that, but that is just my opinion though ...

when I expand the "galleries" menu, the "donation information" disappears ... you should have a look at that ...

Why doesn't the address bar change as I go to a different page? Because now if I want to bookmark a page, I can't ... and that makes it more difficult because people can't always remember which page they were on ...

On all your pages, you forgot to close the "META NAME="description"" ... that would sort out quite a few W3C errors aswell ...

Then why oh why are you using tables for the layout ... ? you could've saved yourself heaps of time by using DIV's and CSS to do the layout ...

Further than that, I like the layout, it's simple and easy to use and find your way around ...
  • moreetan
  • Born
  • Born
  • moreetan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not like the navigation menus. it's falsh and not searchable.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll look into the CSS conversion. Anyone recomend a good converter?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
I'll look into the CSS conversion. Anyone recomend a good converter?

notepad 2
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still trying to find the best format for my homepage so I made a big change. I took out the iframe. I still have the old page up but added a new home page as well. What do you think looks better / works better?

With IFRAME

Without iframe

Don't worry about html errors I know there are tons. I'm just worried about performance and looks for the site. Also, I've only made the change to the homepage so don't worry about the others. Thanks to all of you that have helped.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers