SITE REVIEW: www.ndomo.de

• ndomo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ndomo

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.ndomo.de allows searching for a pictures of houses by address - specifying country, city, place and additional criteria. Regardless of what you a searching for - want to know how the house from the ad looks, want to get idea about the district, or just curious about different house styles - just come and explore.
The navigation is simplified and easy - by starting to type in any of the fields for Country, City, Place and What, existing entries will be displayed in a drop-down menu and desired item could be chosen easily. Thus typing 'G' in the field Country will show all countries starting with 'G'.
List of all countries - respectively cities,places, etc could be shown by click on the down arrow next to the text field or just by pressing the down arrow key on the keyboard.
Place and What are usually street name and street number, but they could be any information locating any object - for instance Country, City, Place, What could be
Germany, Karlsruhe, Castle, Castle or
UK, London, Back Hill, 24
By selecting Place first - for instance 'Main street', then all available pictures for 'Main street' will be displayed as a thumbnails. Click on the thumbnail will show the bigger image. If Place is chosen, then selection for the Country, City and What will show only the items associated with already selected Place. So, if you choose 'Main street' as a Place, then the list of countries to be displayed - respectively lists of cities and what - will be reduced to the countries/cities/what which have place 'Main street' . By clicking on the down arrow, you could see all items associated with the data entered already in the other text boxes.

You are kindly invited to add pictures to the collection.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could just be me, But the system does not seem to work. Also For a main page its pretty plain, Have you thought about adding some more colour to it or mabye some more images?
  • ndomo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ndomo

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Could just be me" - or it could be a bug in the system :)

What did you try exactly and what happened?
About colors - it was intended main page to be plain and simple. Well, I am not a designer, so maybe I should thing about it. I like it so, but more important is others to like it :)
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I filled in the correct boxes, And when I went to search it came up with nothing........ Am I doing something wrong?
  • ndomo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ndomo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, you don't need to go to search. If you start to type - for instance in the field for Country - and you type 'G' - all countries which for there are entries (at the moment only Germany) will be displayed. To see the list of all countries which for there are pictures - click on the down arrow left to the text box. Then if you have Germany selected, the same rule is applicable for City - if you type New Your - sure there will be no images, cause no city New Your in Germany. Actually, if you choose a value for any of the 4 text boxes (any value mean from existing values - f.i. there are only images for Germany, Italy, Bulgaria ), in the other text boxes you could see only available values.
Thus by selecting Germany, in the City list will be displayed only cities from Germany which for there are images submitted. The same is for Place, ... .
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site is actually a pretty good idea. in my opinion you'd need some text explaining the concept and function of the site on the main page - this way people show up and they're not sure why they're doing what they're doing. is the idea merely to look at other people's houses? or are these images of properties available for sale or rent?

I think simplicity is not an issue as it's going to be full of pictures of houses soon, so it doesn't need any additional decoration.

another issue I've had is ease of use - the search box system functions well enough, but it's not very flexible - for instance, when I first click the drop-down arrow, it shows me the list of countries (italy, bulgaria, germany). but once I've selected, say, italy, and then selected the offered city for Italy, if I want to move on and look at germany now I find that the drop-down list in the country box only shows italy now. so I have to manually delete the word 'italy' before I can get the full list of countries again (I think the full list should always be available). also I have to delete the name of the italian city that was entered in the adjacent box - if I don't, I won't be able to get the full drop-down list of countries. in fact even if I type 'germany' into the country box nothing will happen, because, as you pointed out, I'm searching germany for an italian city. now that makes sense but it's annoying for the customers to have to think about so many things - delete this, delete that - it would be much better in my opinion if all the drop-down lists contained all their information all of the time, and if the city, place, etc boxes automatically reset any time the 'country' field is changed.

otherwise good work!
  • ndomo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ndomo

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
I think the site is actually a pretty good idea. in my opinion you'd need some text explaining the concept and function of the site on the main page - this way people show up and they're not sure why they're doing what they're doing. is the idea merely to look at other people's houses? or are these images of properties available for sale or rent?

I think simplicity is not an issue as it's going to be full of pictures of houses soon, so it doesn't need any additional decoration.

another issue I've had is ease of use - the search box system functions well enough, but it's not very flexible - for instance, when I first click the drop-down arrow, it shows me the list of countries (italy, bulgaria, germany). but once I've selected, say, italy, and then selected the offered city for Italy, if I want to move on and look at germany now I find that the drop-down list in the country box only shows italy now. so I have to manually delete the word 'italy' before I can get the full list of countries again (I think the full list should always be available). also I have to delete the name of the italian city that was entered in the adjacent box - if I don't, I won't be able to get the full drop-down list of countries. in fact even if I type 'germany' into the country box nothing will happen, because, as you pointed out, I'm searching germany for an italian city. now that makes sense but it's annoying for the customers to have to think about so many things - delete this, delete that - it would be much better in my opinion if all the drop-down lists contained all their information all of the time, and if the city, place, etc boxes automatically reset any time the 'country' field is changed.

otherwise good work!

celandine, many thanks for the input. It is really reasonable and concrete!
well, actually at the moment of reading your post, I was working on 'howto' page - explaining what is this and how this site is operating :). So, in 1-2 days there will be update.
But this will be other page. Right - I have to add some short explanation (few words) on the home page, what the visitor should type/enter to get info.

About the suggestion that full country list must be always available - believe or not, this is the second time I hear it just for the last 24 hours. Maybe I do have to implement it.
I will revert as soon as i make any changes - hope in next 1-3 days.

Once again - thanks for the review - really useful.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site didn't realy do anything for me, main page, contact page
I tried typing it the boxes up top, nothing happened
Does the site require a download of some sort?
all the angles and straight lines kinda blurred the page
Keep us posted.
  • ndomo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ndomo

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
The site didn't realy do anything for me, main page, contact page
I tried typing it the boxes up top, nothing happened
Does the site require a download of some sort?
all the angles and straight lines kinda blurred the page
Keep us posted.

It seems that the site navigation is not quite clear, but is my mistake. When you are quite concentrated and know all details, you easy mislead yourself that the other should see/understand everything exactly as you do.
I am going to add howto page. Now, how it is working - the best would be to use example. Let say we have the following in the database

country1 city1 street1 number1
country2 city2 street2 number2
country3 city1 street3 number3

it is not an error that at the third line city is city1(not city3)

Now if you select city1(could be selected by start typing - auto suggest, or by click on the down arrow left to the box - the arrow displays all cities entered ), then in the country box only 'country1' and 'country3' could be selected - cause they are associated with city1(select again by auto suggest or arrow). If you select city1 and then type country2 in 'Country' text box, nothing will happens.

Actually, the idea is not to fill all text boxes and then to search for result, but by having one(or more) text boxes filled, the data which appears in the rest to be 'filtered' according to already entered data.

I have to make the front page a bit more informative.
Will stay in touch.
  • arismawan
  • arismawan

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems like not work in my browser. the image doesn't load. In my oppinion, a dark background would be more suitable. It would show out the picture rather than a white background. But anyway, I like your Idea. a web 2.0 approach am I right? :)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be working, IE7 or FF. Maybe something simple like...

Step 1.
Step 2.
  • Colorsur
  • Colorsur

Post 3+ Months Ago

ndomo, the idea of the site seems really interesting, but i think that it could be some kind of security issues regarding anonymous users uploading unverified photos. Consider some registration/validation required before displaying pictures to any visitor.

After a while of browsing the site, i couldn't be able to return to the home :(

At the home page (while the fields are empty), maybe you could show some random images to bring some color and life to the site.

Best regards,
Marcelo
  • ndomo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ndomo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thanks for the new comments. I do appreciate all.
I did some updates today evening and hope now that the navigation is easier now. Please, correct me if not.
Now there are short instructions under each text box and corresponding messages appears when to facilitate the navigation. Firs country must be chosen. If you try to select city by the arrow or by typing in the box, message appears. If country is already selected and you type in the other boxes, message 'no matches found' appears when there are no matches.
About going back to home page - no need to clear all boxes(it works but is boring), just click on the arrow for Country - home page is reloaded and new country choice is initiated.
'howTo' page is still in work - just have no much time, I am doing this site at the evenings, after working day. It come soon.
What I wanted at this stage, was just to make navigation easier.

@Colorsur, I thought to implement some registration, but it will not help in regard of verifying the sender - anyone could just create foo@foosite.com and to use it - can't see any advantage - contrariwise, it could beat back some visitors. I am going to implement registration(free of course) for the next kind of service which will be added to the image upload - I am working on it now.

@jflynn about the problems in IE, FF - I tried IE, FF at home, at the office - was ok for me. Can you write down what you you are doing? Maybe you have found a bug?

Regards to all.
  • sample4u
  • Born
  • Born
  • sample4u

Post 3+ Months Ago

after a while of browsing the site, i couldn't be able to return to the home
  • ndomo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ndomo

Post 3+ Months Ago

sample4u wrote:
after a while of browsing the site, i couldn't be able to return to the home

Hi,

Thanks for the update. There is a text under 'Country' box - "Use the arrow to select country or back home".
Independently where you are which pictures are you browsing, by click on the downarrow next to Country, all fields are reseted and home page appears.
I did also some changes - if you click on the arrow for 'city' , now the whole list of cities for the selected country appears, respectively if you click on the 'place' arrow, list of all 'places' associated with already selected Country,City appears.
Thus the navigation is easier - if you are browsing some places and want to change the place, no need manually to empty the fields, just click on arrow for 'place'. Same for 'city' and 'country'.

Regards

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers