SITE REVIEW: www.ourblacklabs.com

• koppaspider
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • koppaspider
  • Loc: Metro:Williamsport

Post 3+ Months Ago

So yet an other site done by me,
please give me some page affect suggestions, and does anyone know how to do a photo gallery that doesn't fill up the entire iframe?

-Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• hasnatme
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah..where is the link?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site doesn't look quite finished. The header is a bit amatuerish. Try more details and make the site smaller so that you appear to have more content. Buttons don't match with the BG and they don't site right in FF.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing that http://www.ncalions.org is the link.
  • koppaspider
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • koppaspider

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry here is the link

http://www.ourblacklabs.com

thaanks
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Truce's statement regarding a rather amatuerish look on the header - some more thought and experimentation would work wonders to make it more visually appealing.

As opposed to having "Litter due on April...." sliding across the site - why not include that on the main page under a news segment, its a very small amount of information which for some reason is taking up a good part of the website itself scrolling horizontally.

I see no reason to make a separate frame for your "Buy a pup" and "About us" sections - there isn't that much information and it is mainly photographs taking up the majority of space - a layout can be established where you can have your content without scrolling.

Overall the site just needs more creative consideration.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could use some color contrast, the whole background is one color. Maybe make the outter edges white and keep the inner content as is. As mentioned, the top graphic is weak. The pink backdrop on the right side doesnt match your site and the overall effect just seems so cut and paste.

Center your menu images, they look awkward placed towards the right. Plus, centering them will make that menu row look more complete and not as empty as it looks right now.

You've used one of the most annoying body attributes known to web design, scroll="no". I hate it and it should never be used. You're cheating your site, you can confuse your viewer and the feature is only supported in I.E. Aggrivating. And guess what, since I cant scroll down, all I see is "Our Black Labs Purpose: " and nothing else. You've lost content and you've lost my interest in your site.

Okay, those transitions effects from page to page, weak. Its very amateur geocities site and not something pro's would implement. They also eat up seconds loading up that I dont have time to waste.

Looking at your code, you dont have your meta description/keywords tags. Put your styles and javascript in external files and reference them in. I would say your site could use a footer, but I cant even see the bottom of your site to know if you have one because of that stupid scroll attribute. You also need alt tags for your images. After a few changes, I think your site should be pretty good.
  • koppaspider
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • koppaspider

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce: hey I'm not that great at graphic design, could you make me a logo for this site? Or do you know of someone that could make one?

mr_darek: I changed the marquee, I put it just on the homepage

daremedy: I centered the navagation menu, I like it better that way too. But I need help with the scrolling thing, I changed the table to fit only 85% of the screen height but it didn't work... Could you help????
  • webfastic
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webfastic
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice but can you do something about all the white space on the left?
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel like coming into Micheal Jackson site. Everything is in Black & White. LOL ..... Just kidding

Well, Just like what daramedy is saying, you have to place <meta> tags on your coding. It will help you get indexed properly by SE.

As for your layout, you might consider to change it. It dont really fit what you are selling. I saw some copyright in the HTML coding, did you get this premade template? If yes, I urge you to get a better one.
  • weblaunch
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • weblaunch

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I would not mix serif and sans serif fonts....they don't look good together.

Good luck on your site!
  • bloced
  • bloced

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cute pictures (i have a chocolate lab) but the design is limited. Functionality is good. Your clear, basic layout will never fail.

The colour scheme is a bit out of sync - black and blue together always clashes.
  • nathanb
  • nathanb
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

"our black labs" sounds like a pagan metal band. If you're trying to entice people to buy dogs, maybe make the purpose of the site clearer with a more descriptive title.

Bevel and Emboss (used on the title header text) is dangerous and when applied poorly can make text look "spooky". Eg, the words "Ghost Dogs" would suit that current type treatment. Rather than using verdana, check out a font called "trajan", it'd be nice on this site.

photos are great, and the dogs are cute. Keep the text to a minimum, perhaps add a "FAQ" type section and let the pictures do most of the talking.

Apart from that stuff the site is good, I want a black lab!
  • advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

the buttons display strangely, the background of the buttons overlaps the interface. (maybe this is a firefox issue?)
  • Jibran
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Lucknow, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I viewed your site in Firefox, and please dont mind if you find my review to be a bit harsh - I am a harsh judge, but I believe that until and unless one receives harsh comments, one cannot improve upon anything (me included!).

Well Bro, I think that the header is a bit amateurish, and the buttons dont blend with the site's look. The image syou have posted are arranged in an almost haphazard fashion on your expectations page.

I would advise you to change the look of your site, especially the color combos and header, with the buttons. Also look up some content, the site looks kind of blank.

I hope I was not too harsh. :) BTW, nice labs, I love dogs but cant keep pets! :( Mum and Dad'll throw me and my pets outside! :lol:
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have visit ur site. You can improve site in following way.

1.When I have visit ur page "http://www.ourblacklabs.com/iframe/expect.htm"
I found it to be untitled document. Give name to every page of website. You can easily give name just name of the topic.

2. On this page I don't like the placement of image. Give the image along with description(if u want) in proper arrangement.
Say: <description>
<image> in centre
......and so on.
Or viceversa.

3. Give icon that appear in address bar. This add attractive look to site.

Quote:
I am also newbie in the field but I am telling as much I know. We have to improve our work.
:D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers