SITE REVIEW: www.PainlessGifts.com

• golfmonke
  • golfmonke

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I would like to get some feedback on what you think of my site.

In short it is a gift wish list site, and it helps both the gift buyers and receivers relieve the stresses of buying
and giving gifts.

http://www.painlessgifts.com

Mike
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• MsNovice
  • MsNovice

Post 3+ Months Ago

This website is very visually pleasing with colors and layout!

Except some of the font. It seems like you made the font way too big in some areas to catch the users attention.

Maybe try another form of "attention getting" in those areas?

Just a thought.
  • pitbull82
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Poland, Czestochowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me it's to simple. No design I can say. Moreover too big fonts " Signup, Invite Friends & Family,", pink login form - this site looks as if it were done only for one-time action (for instance Christmas) and then you want to forget about it
  • ufosecret
  • Born
  • Born
  • ufosecret

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree its like a one off type website that does not entice the user at all
  • colorifer
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice illustrations, but layout is not good
  • golfmonke
  • golfmonke

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see, what do you think would entice the users more?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say some of the above comments are a bit harsh. I think it's a pretty cute site. I like your icons - happy and colorful. I agree the pink square in the middle of the page should be downsized a bit - perhaps you can fill the space with a bit more text explaining the services and possibilities your site offers. The 'home' link currently doesn't seem to be covered by the same style as the other links in the top row. or rather, the other links are not links yet.... in fact, funny that the 'home' link is the only one that works as it is the only one you don't really need active on the home page - it is good designing practice to disable the link to the page the viewer is on, so that users don't click uselessly... also perhaps you can put the disabled link in a rollover state so the user will always know what page he is currently on.

The big blue text bubble is too large as well in my opinion. But I have to say the site altogether looks perfectly nice...... and I like the idea too. good luck with it!
  • golfmonke
  • golfmonke

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

In defense of the other posters, I redid the design this morning before you saw it :) It looks better now imo.

I am aware of the links and will get to the little details and finishing touches if anybody actually starts using my site or the signup rate goes up :)

Since you like the idea (or are being kind) , are there any features you would like to see the site have?
  • MsNovice
  • MsNovice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, it does look better then it did!

Feels simpler and less cluttered.

The regular old "home" on the left hand side seems out of place though.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I could have seen it before the redo-style thing, but here is my thingamabobber review. The icons are cool, they kind of gave me that mac os X feeling you know. But then I started scrolling down, and down farther, then some more, and the I scrolled down a bit more. If you can sort out your content so that users don't have to scroll as far (my biggest pet peave in web design), it might keep their attention a bit longer. Next, that firefox screen shot showing the button to add stuff to your wish list has a few other tabs open...one is your yahoo email. It's just my personal preference, but I think I would make a new screen shot.
  • jumar112
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jumar112
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I did not see the other design, I like this design.

Maybe explain a little bit more on what the website is for.

I think it is a great idea for a website, this can be used for not only xmas birthdays, , anniversaries or ....really all the things that you have posted up towards your header....maybe add also sweetest day and just because (who doesn't like to get a gift just because!)

Once you have items on your wishlist, can you change it, update it? maybe add an FAQ section to it.

It does seem to scroll down, down, down quite a bit. maybe make the words a little smaller
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. I like the colors you have a good start.

2. Your font is wayy to large it's like shouting.

3. You need ALT tags on your graphics.

4. I think you need to be more consistent in your colors in the text back ground.

5. Do you really need a video to your visitors how to use this site?

6 No comments on other pages and navigation because of Login.

7. You have nice graphics for the content.

8. very good start , just needs some tweaking.
  • jeffapartmentliving
  • Born
  • Born
  • jeffapartmentliving

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great idea for a site. You can get a lot of revinue I imagine if you have the right amount of traffic. Although I realize that the mentality of too much can make it jumbled or distract from your site, you might want to graphically enhance it a little. It is honestly a little bit boring. Also, the first rule in marketing is to figure the benefit that a member would get by coming to your site. Why would someone come to your site and copy and paste urls, pictures, descriptions, etc. into your page to save it when they could just do it in Word and attach it to an email. Couple of ideas...1) Give an option to send an item to a friend. Also give an option to forward your list to those people whom may be buying you a gift 2) ADD CONTENT---Start a blog on the main page where you feature an item you find on the web. See the blog at http://www.apartmenthomeliving.com for reference. 3) This would be great year round.

I know many people are reluctant to add more toolbars. Try a different quick add way....

Also...i'd suggest letting you select what type of list you are creating: christmas, wedding, birthday, etc. and then when that is selected....have it populate suggested items that are appropriate to the season.....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers