SITE REVIEW: www.photoimprovements.co.uk

• Minefield
  • Minefield

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.photoimprovements.co.uk
This is my first website so go gentle on me :)
Let me know what you think.
I read a review of another site that said 'remove the mailto links immediatly'. Should I remove them and why?
  • findme
  • Student
  • Student
  • findme

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! This is really nice site. No suggestion just applause
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The website itself looks good, but I've got something else to complain about: you've marked the page doctype to be XHTML, but the W3C validator throws up 48 errors. (see here) If you really want to be standards compliant, (which you should) you should fix those errors; if you're not too worried about that, you should atleast remove the XHTML doctype.

Regarding the mailto links, there's nothing wrong about the links themselves, but you might want to remove them to prevent automated bots from spamming your inbox.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Minefield,
I really like the color scheme on the site. I like of blues and grays, I just hope corporations dont kill it. As far as the design of the site goes, it kinda falls a little flat for me. The flat gray background seems to flatten it. Also I am not sure about the 2 font logo, I am not sure the blocky font goes well with papyrus. The little red buttons are pixelated and I wish there was more content separation on the page. Also there is a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing the left column being wide enough that the nav bar use only 1 line per item.

I like the way you break the plain on the first page with the image, maybe you could play with layers more throughout the site.

Hope this helps.
  • ravitejag
  • ravitejag
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Website design could have definitely been better.
The resolution is not so good. Text doesn't fit the background images. Center the links on the left sidebar.
You could increase the width of the background image on the main page to fit the text and cover the space on the bottom left.
Use better buttons because it is making the picture look low.

Great front page image. Good description about the services.

Overall good first impression but wont last long.
  • hperkins
  • Born
  • Born
  • hperkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is great work for your first time!!!
  • Minefield
  • Minefield

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em comin'. I've altered a few things on the site based on the comments already, like adding a few more drop shadows the create a less flat layout and correct all the errors the W3C tester found. This is by no means a finished product, I'll kepp altering it as time goes by, so all comments are gratefully received.
  • bermuda
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bermuda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good work for the first online project. The color selection is nice but you do not need pushing the text lines and phrases down to the bottom of the page because many people might not even notice them.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers