SITE REVIEW: www.playtunes.co.uk

• whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would you please take some time to look over the following website http://www.playtunes.co.uk add your feedback to this thread.

Any other advice would be greatly recieved too,(resources etc etc)

Thank You In Advance.

Playtunes Crew
http://www.playtunes.co.uk
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm locking this topic for now and moving it to the reviews forum which is where it belongs. Please read the rules for requestiong reviews and feedback on your site. Once you've made at least three quality reviews of others sites, we'll unlock this and be happy to review your site.

http://ozzu.com/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=39
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

unlocked :wink:
  • iBold
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • iBold

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definately an interesting splash page =)
Two thoughts on it - first of all I always though hit counters looked kind of tacky. Doesn't your hosting provider offer some sort of internal traffic tracking that you can take advantage of??
Also, it doesn't really say to much about your site, what it is, or what it can offer me. If I wasn't doing a review I might not have got past the first page..

Once I got to the main page I liked what I saw. It was a little busy, but I think for your target audience busy is good (when I think music / radio, I like to think upbeat, which your site definately is).
The fonts and links are a little plain...kind of standard. You may want to try a different font, and some different colors / effects (like underline on mouseover) with the links. Some CSS would definately bring your site together.
The graphics help make up for the lack of fonts for sure.

The navigation bar at the bottom gets cut off by the bottom of my browser. If I hadn't thought about it, I might not have scrolled down the page to see all the options it offered. You may want to move that higher in the page.

Also - taking a look at your pages source, it lacks some important SEO things (you have no meta tags)
[edit]
Yea I must be sleepy, how did I miss those meta tags lol. Sorry about that.
[/edit]

, and your title:
Code: [ Select ]
<TITLE>Welcome To Whos on the dexs, The Best Source For live internet radio and archived streams.</TITLE>

Is very long, and gets cut off. You may want to change it to something more keyword intense and condense it a little - Like:
Quote:
Live Internet Radio - Whos On The Dex

So when I find you in a search engine I know that your site has live internet radio, and you get your 'whos on the dex' branding in there.

You may also want to consider moving your 'live stream on / off' links away from all of your affiliate links, so they are not confused with your affiliates but rather can be associated with what they are - or maybe try adding it after the paragraph:
Quote:
Ever wondered what it would be like to have anyone in the world, hear you play ON DEMAND??

so I can jump right into listening if I want to.

Other then that, I like the site, it just needs a bit less of the affiliate stuff and a bit more content, and you should be good to go :)
  • slick69
  • slick69

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it!! :D and i wish i knew of your site earlier, and think there is a chance we can still do some business, a major site we are releasing in January at the Internext show will have an online jukebox showcasing new and upcoming Dj's, perhaps there is something there we can work out.
talk to you soon

Slick69
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the review.

Actually agree with pretty much all your comments.

THe site is a joint project with be being the person who puts it all together.

My partner is all this likes the hit counter thinks that the public should know the popularity of the site, i personally agree with you.

We will be adding an extra detail to the splash page.

In what areas would you suggest the font's changing i do like to have a uniformed look and in the past i've changed bits here and there and they've just looked out of place.

Reason for no CSS or colours/effects is lack of knowledge - soon to be changed :D

Wasn't in charge of the title but that will be first on th list.

Looking at the live stream option and i've hopefully come up with another solution.

Obviously once these changes have been done i will re post for your newer comments

Thanks again[/quote]
  • Kingsimon999
  • Kingsimon999

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought the introduction looked professional and could have believed it was a professional website if there was not the hit counter.
After the intro the web site looked quite good except for all the flashing images - there just seemed to be too many at one time.
Other than that I think your web site looked kool and has lots of potential to attract visitors if marketed correctly.
  • jonsimons
  • jonsimons

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Your website is nice!

I think that you have too many things going on at once - eg soo many effects on the first page.... I like the text effect under the logo - perhaps just focus on this?

I also think that the navigation bar would be better at the top...

Overall a good looking site!
  • Genjamin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Genjamin
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

the counter is kind of out of place in the splash page but to be honest the splash page is quite pointless and a nuisance. You are better off just leaving the splash page out.

The site's content is decent and well organized but the design could use some work. The site header looks a little unprofessional and the navigation at the bottom doesn't seem to fit the site and I first though it was an advertisement.

This sorry has great potential to be redesigned.
  • mustardplaster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mustardplaster
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take the redlight special image away... Looks like it is for 7/11 store online...

Great idea to get talent out in the open..

I think that it needs to be a bit more open.. Too many ads for the amount of space...
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for yours comments.

1 thing though, would you please explain in more detail as to what you mean by the navigation is not in keeping with the site?
  • Genjamin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Genjamin
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, I thought it was a bit strange for it to be at the bottom of the page. But there is so much animation on the page it just looks cluttered and its hard to tell whats the actual site and whats an ad.
But just overall the color scheme isn't consistent.
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with you on that. I'm working towards a more uniformed feel to the whole site.

This is only the second site i've ever produced.
  • hessman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldnt view the choices, they where way too low on the bottom. I guess your still working on it. I would try to out some borders and perhaps a background to this. There is too much white space.
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that the general feel of the site is good, but I also think that you naviagation menu should be up the top of the page. It is to low and I can't view all of the options.

Other than that, great work!
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site but this is just about DJ's?
  • eslie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eslie

Post 3+ Months Ago

site is 1024*768... 800*600 works better on my pc
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

We are in the process of re-designing this site and believe we are near to completion.

Not all aspects of the site are fully functional and any views will be greatly received.

I look forward to reading your comments.

The address for the test site is http://www.camtwix.co.uk/test1

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers