SITE REVIEW: www.polabear.tk

• gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

What have you actually got in your stylesheet? It still seems like you've got unnecessary font tags on your website. You should put all that in your css file.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey!

As everyone has said, you have a grasp of coding but little design knowledge. I sympathize - I suck at designing and making things look good.

Aesthetic is very important to your site - people just won't stay if colors clash or the fonts are hard to read. Remember that people have to have a positive first impression.

In terms of design, the best thing you can do is look at other people's work. Look around the net, take screenshots of sites that you like and sites that you don't. Analyse them. I suck at designing and I think that I have learned a lot for just looking around. Just DON'T rip other people off.

You might also want to find a colour wheel, and some info on how to use it (http://images.google.com/images?q=color+wheel&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)
The colour wheel is a handy reference for picking colours that compliment each other and go well.

Finally PERSEVERE. Hold back on the business for a while, just learn as a hobby and then when you are more experienced go for it.

Good luck.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx
  • imagemoore
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • imagemoore
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Is this your first site?

If you plan to offer your services as a web designer you may need some more practice.

To start your site looks like a child made (please don't take offence), you need to learn to incorporate high quality images, and layout with in your designs.

Regards

Rich :shock:
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lets just say there is no point of putting this
Quote:
Pola Bear Web Design copyright 2004 ©

Trust me lol, no one is going to steal anything from your site...

And I suggest before you start a design site, buy a book or two, take a class, learn the different languages of websites, and build a few sites just to practice and incorperate some custom graphics you make from like PS7
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am working with him a little bit to help his design get a little better
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeaaaaah. Cowkiller. Do you think you could try to tyoe a bit better? I barely understood your last post to this thread. Please?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok ready
i am going to help him (jubilaki) with the design of his site so it can be a little better on the design side of it

do you get it? if not read it a little slower
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get it, but I was pointing out that the rest of us generally read English here.
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

my opinion

1st: make it look better and you ccant see some of the pics.
2nd: if youre starting a bisnes get a .com etc domain name.
3rd: get a paid host (i can give. pm me)

sorry for the negativ comments but sometimes you need to know the truth.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

so i have made it like brand new have a look and tell me what you think now
thx
  • Zpoon
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I'll give you some advice...

1. Images - never, Never, NEVER use JPEG for gfx elements, JPEG is ONLY for Photos. Use either GIF of preferrably PNG.

2. Lines are very important in any design. I'm not talking about visible lines, but that for exampla the body text and menu should line up with each other etc...

3. The way you have designed it now, it looks very empty. Too much blue, empty space...

----

What you should do:

1. Read up on HTML. Get a good grasp of the basics of HTML and start at once reading up on DIV's and Layers. Do not start used nested tables, as thet is an obsolite technique that it is very hard to stop using if you start. Believe me, I know. Ive been using nested tables for 8 years, and have big problems adjusting to DIV's instead.

2. CSS - As soon as you get it, it will make it ten times faster and easier to design, and later alter the look of your sites.
CSS and DIV's/Layers is the perfect marriage.

3. PHP - Them when you have a good grasp of the previous two, start looking into PHP. PHP will give you the opportunity to develop complex internet-systems for community management, e-commerce etc etc... The sky and your imagination is basically the limit.

4. MySQL - MySQL is the most commonly used database on the internet, and is also the easiest to use with PHP. In order to use PHP to it's full extent, you will need this.

5. Flash - NOW, when you have learned all the four things above, you should start thinking about Flash. Not before. Flash is a visual aid, not something to base designs upon.

6. ActionScripting - Provided you already have an understanding of PHP, ActionScripting (AS) will be quite easy to learn. AS gives you the possibility to expand the limit of interactivity and functionality in a flash based website.

So... Now you have got some homework boy.. get on it! :)
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

jubilaki wrote:
so i have made it like brand new have a look and tell me what you think now
thx

no offense, but before you try to sell websites, learn how to make them. Cause I don't think anyone would even bother to buy a site from you. If your site looks like crap, then they will think thats how all yours will be
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx heaps Zpoon i hace a grasp on html and know css pritty good as well i have looked into php a bit and need to do more i just don't know where i can get a dater base from (help)

i am not planing on haveing people paying me to build sites yet i have just built this and am expanding my knowledge i am only 15 so i still have a lot to work on it

thx heaps Zpoon your coments are greatly apreshiated
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you have microsoft access?

i recommend getting your feet wet practicing in access' since it's very visual before you move onto mysql or postgresql.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

na i dont have it
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

then dink on somebody's computer who does have it.

you're going to need something easy to start out on. it's like training wheels on a bicycle. Either that or you can learn to swim the other way: jump in the deep end. Good luck whichever way happens.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG that page owns nothing too special, no fancy graphics, and a ton of pop ups! :D Get a book on HTML and Flash and in no time you'll have that page up and running full speed! As a personal rating of the site is a 10/10 :P
Adios
SycomCOmp
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
1. Images - never, Never, NEVER use JPEG for gfx elements, JPEG is ONLY for Photos. Use either GIF of preferrably PNG.

i wouldn't say that...

I use
.gif's for area's with block colour
.jpg for any complex images (like backgrounds, and my site)
.png....well for nothing...the file size is far too big
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I second nucleo. I have yet to find a need to use png over gif.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok this might sound really dumb but what is mysql and postgresql.

i thought that mysql was a data base ???
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are two types of databases.

PostgreSQL is big in Japan. mySQL is popular everywhere else. *sarcasm*

In terms of getting the job done, they'll both work out fine. Learn whichever one you want. I personally prefer mySQL.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok where can i learn mySQL ???
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do a search on yahoo/google or just go to http://www.mysql.com. Come on! It's not that hard to find your own answers!

Anyway, you're going to need to learn SQL, not mySQL. SQL (Structured Query Language) is the language you interact with the database with. mySQL is just a type of database. Both postgresql and mysql use sql. Notice the SQL part of both of their spellings?
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea ok i'll go and have a look at that now
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

jukilaki, man i feel for you. so much advice and everyone seems to be an expert ;-) everyone is telling you what to do based on their own thoughts of what you should do.

what is it you really want to do? build websites?
this is a very broad area so you should try start with one particular area, which ever area you should always start with html and css, then if you wanna go more techy you can get into javascript, php, coldfusion, databasing etc etc all the stuff that requires coding. otherwise if your more interested in the design side of it you should still learn html and css but also learn the fundamentals of design. this is more focusing on the fontend (interface). you cant cover all aspects of building websites straight up, pick an area you enjoy doing then branch out from there.

there is alot to learn so just start small and dont bite off more than you can chew ;-)

regarding the site, it looks good for someone with your experience, keep it up you obviously have some good ideas for ythe future.

you are young and you have plenty of time, business can get really ugly if you dont do it right. like you said just do freebies and stuff for people you know and friends - always good experience.

anyways hope that helps ;-)
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx heaps for that advise
i want to get into codeing more than the design i have a good grasp on html and css i have looked into php a bit and i want to learn SQL so that i can make data bases and stuf

the thing i really want to be able to do is acturly have my own forums running

i'm going to get some phpb forums but everturly create my own script for the forums

Is there anywere that i would be able to download a program that would help me with databases ???
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to work with mySQL, there's a program called SQLyog that works quite well. Do a search on yahoo on where to find it, but I think it might be http://www.sqlyog.com . They have a 30 day trial period before you actually have to buy the software.

Many web hosts have something installed called phpmyadmin which allows you to do just about anything with a mySQL database. This is extremely useful and is a good thing to know. Ask your web host to install it if they don't have it up in your control panel yet. If you don't have access to a database on your web host, you might want to switch to a different company.

We're all here to help you, so let us know if you need help anytime.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i'll hav a look at those things i havent got paid hosting yet cuz i havent got a paid domain , dose anyone know where i can get cheap domail names prefeably .com.au or plain .com
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Well, everything was said here...

Some tips... Don't use scroll text on you site... It removes all the personality of the work, because it is something that everybody can do. Try to be original. Before doing the site, make a sketch in paper and use your creativity to create something different. It doesn't have to be complex. With a black brackground and white letters you can made something original. Place images in grizzly tonalities, melting them with the black of the background and use small letters. Try the font Verdana with the size 2. In the Polar Bear logo use images in the composition. Give more life to you work.

Regards.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 74 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers