Voting Chart

Total votes : 7

Do you like www.QuotesNQuotations.com

Poll ended at February 4th, 2008, 3:03 am.

•  
    Yes
  •  
    No

SITE REVIEW: www.QuotesNQuotations.com

• mrquotes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All

Your expert review & comments on my site

http://www.quotesnquotations.com

Thank you

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a simple website. I appreciate your efforts but I think there should be more content needed in inner web pages eg. more information about writer etc.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to say the site looks very generic. there's no way I'd remember it among the myriads of sites I visit every day........ give it some visual impact
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Visually, I can't say I don't like it - though I'll agree with celandine in saying it really doesn't have much impact, I don't find it unappealing. It's simple, easy to read, easy to navigate, and looks pretty good. A little pizazz wouldn't hurt it (maybe use a fancier font for the header), but I don't know if I'd really consider it necessary - I like it as is.

There's a few too many ads for my taste - they are placed well, and not really in the way too badly, but there's a lot of them. Cutting out one or two couldn't hurt - keep in mind that the fewer ads you have, the more those individual ads get clicked, so the more they are worth both to the advertisers ad to you.

You may want to check your code a bit - it isn't valid (30 errors) - but I'm not as uptight about that in blogs, as they can be a bit harder to tweak. It seems that a lot of those errors are caused by closing paragraph tags in posts without opening the tags first. Something to keep an eye on when posting.

Cross-browser wise, your site works great in the full range I viewed it in (Maxthon 2, Firefox 2, IE 6+7, Opera 9, Netscape 9, and Lynx), which is always a plus.

I found your content and organization system very interesting. There are a lot of quotation websites already out there, so at first I really didn't think your site would be one I'd drop by other than to review. However, once I visited it I changed my mind. The search box and the ability to view quotes by authors is very handy, though typical of quote directories (in other words, you don't get bonus points for having it, but I'd be annoyed if you didn't), as is the topic list (though I like the tag-cloud style topic list quite a lot). But what caught me the most is your blog-like format.

Most quote sites are directories, and though your site can certainly be used as a directory, it isn't really set up like directories are. This wouldn't be the best format for searching for individual quotes, for but a daily dose of inspiration, it's perfect. Two thumbs up.

Overall, I like pretty much everything you've done. It isn't the flashiest site, and you may want to cut an ad or two, but other than that, I found it appealing, both visually and in concept. Enough so that I've subscribed to your e-mail list. (Another plus there - you're "subscribe by e-mail" box is easy to find and noticeable, without being in the way.) Good job.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't add much to Hob's comments. Bear in mind that ads will lose their effectiveness when they're in a bunch like that, you could achieve more but having fewer in the same place.

Also, "Quotes N Quotations

Collection of famous author quotes, quotations and sayings by topics, updated daily quotes."

I accept that the common usage of the word "quote" is often used to mean "quotation", but misusing it this way in your title AND in your intro is... weak.
See also:
http://quotations.about.com/cs/quotatio ... tquotn.htm
  • mrquotes

Post 3+ Months Ago

All points NOTED.

Thanks to mit, celandine & dyefade

Special thanks to Hob - you gave a very deep insight to which I really appreciate your effort & time.
  • Pariah
  • Pariah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the look of the site, but it isn't eye catching at all, it seems like every other site you link to looks exactly like this. The ads on the right just look like garbage thrown together, maybe you could spread them out over the page?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think the ads are so bad - maybe there's a lot of them, but they're certainly not 'like garbage thrown together'.

would you consider moving the tag cloud up? It's real cute, but it's all the way down where not so many people will find it.... I'd put it right up under the 'search' box in the right-side column, even at the expense of kicking some of those ads down a little. the content of the site is, after all, more important than the advertising................

also it really bugs me how in the search box, the dark gray highlight of the 'search' tab doesn't connect directly down onto the dark gray background of the search box text field, but is off by about 2 mm on the left side......... call me pedantic, but when I see a thing like that I always imagine it's a glitch rather than a conscious design decision....
  • winterdude
  • winterdude

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site overall has no problems. It's neat, spaced properly, looks nice. But it isn't very visually appealing. There is a lot of gray, and a lot of gray gets boring after a while. I suggest that you add some color to the design.
  • mrquotes

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine - Ill try to move the tag cloud - as per your wish.
winterdude - grays right now i don't have any other color scheme or plans will try to make it more visually acceptable.

All you there expecting a lot for reviews - so please start commenting - Thank you

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers