SITE REVIEW: www.RateUK.com

• TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there. I just launched this a few minutes ago. It's like the UK equivalent of RateUSA only RateUK.com. Hope you guys like it. I'm just a little stumbled at the idea of how to get people from the UK to it? Any ideas? Thanks. :wink:

RateUK.com - Where People From The UK Rate UK!
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

first off, sort your sig :P lol
I actually love the design, I think it's very good, to the point and as you say, it does what it needs to do in a clean cut way.

Think about the people that use rating sites, they are mainly teenagers.

I'd start by hitting the teen forums, places like http://www.teenspot.com would be a good start.

Just have general chat - plug whenever you can and put the link in your footer. Things like these spread like wildfire, one person uses it - posts on a teen site for others to rate her, they go rate her then sign up themselves... so im thinking as soon as you get a few signed up - you won't actually have to worry much about marketing.

Adwords are always a great start for instant traffic, even if only on a small budget.

Places like celebrity forums / wallpaper sites, you could maybe brand a few with your domain.....

Theres billions of possibilities.... just be creative

and if you have no success, i'll buy the site from you as i like it ;) :P
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course you could always get a few people you know to sign up then promote thir own pages asking for others to rate them. that would send you some good traffic
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to the link you provided and ended up looking at your apache server "Index Of /" page.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

uknightuss wrote:
I went to the link you provided and ended up looking at your apache server "Index Of /" page.

works for me :)
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange, it worked just now when I retried it. This is approximately an hour after the last time I tried it..

all those little people look like the MSN guy with more personality!
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

uknightuss wrote:
lol You caught me right in the middle of updating and working on the server. It should work fine now. :oops:
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anymore comments guys? :(
  • Toyminator
  • Student
  • Student
  • Toyminator
  • Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a bit plain. Maybe you could add some more colors (not to much tho!)
Maybe like some blue colors. But thats just my opinion
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. It's kind of suppose to be plain. Want to keep it simplistic but user-friendly. :wink:
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess wrote:
first off, sort your sig :P lol
I actually love the design, I think it's very good, to the point and as you say, it does what it needs to do in a clean cut way.

Think about the people that use rating sites, they are mainly teenagers.

I'd start by hitting the teen forums, places like http://www.teenspot.com would be a good start.

Just have general chat - plug whenever you can and put the link in your footer. Things like these spread like wildfire, one person uses it - posts on a teen site for others to rate her, they go rate her then sign up themselves... so im thinking as soon as you get a few signed up - you won't actually have to worry much about marketing.

Adwords are always a great start for instant traffic, even if only on a small budget.

Places like celebrity forums / wallpaper sites, you could maybe brand a few with your domain.....

Theres billions of possibilities.... just be creative

and if you have no success, i'll buy the site from you as i like it ;) :P

Hehe, thanks for all the advice. Teenspot.com didn't take my FREE community rating site too well though. Unfortunately, they deleted all my posts. I tried to sound as friendly as possible and not just another spammer. I'll find some way of getting good traffic to it. Maybe a few friends to promote it. I'm definately looking into Google AdWords but I'll _definately_ be on a small budget. *cough* 16 years *cough* :oops: Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it! :wink:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i like the site :)
the white and the funky little pictures go very well.

2 things.
the 'join us' 'rate girls' 'rate guys' seems to overlap. yet the 'about us' seems to be ok lol

the 'yazaaweb inc' bit at the top left seems to overlap. but i think it would look better if it was like the 'about us' image

well, thats confusing, but hopefully you will understand what i mean
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe, yeah. Thanks for the review. It's actually suppose to do that. Just thought I'd experiment with it a bit. :P Just wish I could get more members! Cause I'm from Australia and don't really know where all the UKers hang out. Hey! You're from England! *wink* *wink* :wink:
  • top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the clear, unclutttered look of your site. BUT if you want to promote it in the UK, you will need to get some META tags. Your title could also be more descriptive, and keywords and description tags will help you a lot in the Search engine game.

Start with the UK version of Yahoo and Google (http://www.yahoo.co.uk and http://www.google.co.uk)

John.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for the ideas. I'm going to get some AdWords for it soon. I've also got RateUSA.us to promote! :P
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awwww man...I can't get members for RateUK or RateUSA. =( RateUK.com + RateUSA.us.
  • daveM
  • daveM
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it.. nice and clean and easy to read..

images are nice and crisp and well laid out..

you really need to submit it to the Uk search engines if you want UK people to find it.. Google, Yahoo, AOL are the main ones in the UK
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it's gonna be tought getting it popular with the free time I have. I am working on a merge that'll improve its popularity by heaps though. :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers