a) have more spider friendly pages
b) trying to optimize: website hosting, managed servers, domain registration

where am I going wrong??
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

greetings...I am trying to get webmaster feeback on my hosting company products.

namely my shared hosting plans and dedicated server plans

I've done quite a bit of polling and have come up with the following plans:

http://www.rebelnetworks.com/website_hosting.php
http://www.rebelnetworks.com/managed_servers.php

all of which I am including dedicated static ips.

I look forward to hearing people's comments on the plans.
Regards,
M
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Topic has been unlocked, please resume your reviews.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design. However cogent bandwidth is not Tier I as you claim. Additionally issuing dedicated IP's to every domain is a strict violation of ARIN policy and will get you and alabanza in a pickle.
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I LOVE the site design. I don't know why, but it's a really good looking site, and it portrays your company as serious and reliable.

I think the plans you are offering are fair. Also, I don't really see the need to add the static IPs. Most people will never have a need for a static IP. You can always sell that to them as an add on if they need it for some reason.

BTW, why does your Celeron server have the Xeon logo on it?
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eh, I won't comment on design. Packages are decent, good prices. Uncensored is right, though. Don't give IP addresses to everyone, only to those that will require them, which would really only be for SSL. Your provider wouldn't be too happy if you got ARIN investigating usage.
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the input guys!

Cogent is a Tier 1 provider...I know quite a few ISPs that are using that link as their primary.

As far as dedicated IPs, Alabanza provisions their resellers with Class Cs and websites are ultimately provisioned with each a dedicated IP and 1 control panel.

This is their policy...this is one of the reasons that I have wanted to resell their services.

I believe that having a dedicated IP is great for Search Engine rankings.
This is why I'm very happy to provide one to each client.

Also, if one person decides to SPAM, we can isolate and remove without affecting other sites.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a IPP you and Alabanza are accountable to ARIN for conforming to policy. However they will be held to a higher standard since it's their IP space. ARIN will audit Alabanza each time they apply for more IP space. These audits will require verifiable information confirming compliance with ARIN policy regarding IP dissemenation. Issuing IP's for private nameservers and SSL certs among other things are justifiable per ARIN rules. Thus they are permitted to issue IP's to their resellers for the same. However that does not extend to every domain that the reseller then hosts.

Cogent while rumored to be better than ever is still the cheapest non Tier1 bandwidth money can buy. Additionally it does not have the best worlwide connectivity.

Last but not least if your ever blacklisted for spamming it will not be one (1) IP it will be a range thus your theory regarding damage control is misguided and unfounded.
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is not true!

we inherited a tainted class C that was reused from Alabanza.
Only 2 SEPARATE IPs were blacklisted...the rest of the C was fine

Please make sure that when you make accusations to be truthful.
I have been in the business for over 15 years...I've been working for Bell Canada and have relationships with all the Canadian carriers.

I know what I am talking about.
Web hosts do not give IPs because they are on a shared server farms with many intertwining Cs - when you don't have a dedicated IP your site could be blacklisted just because that is how most web hosting network architectures are setup.

This is the whole reason behind starting Rebel Networks. Our client base WILL get a dedicated IP because that is what they deserve from a web host that cares more about each site than packing in 1000s on a single server.
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
we inherited a tainted class C that was reused from Alabanza.
Only 2 SEPARATE IPs were blacklisted...the rest of the C was fine

Depends on who blacklisted it. Most systems simply block the whole class C anymore, but a few remain that will block specific IPs. Or will block per IP on certian offences only. Just depends who it is.

Being a former admin at a large colo, I can safely tell you that ARIN is not very forgiving towards providers found passing out IP addressess like nothing. As there are only a limited number of IPs available, a couple years ago ARIN tightened the rules on IP address designation (which went into effect last year). I suggest you read thier policies.

Quote:
4.2.3.1. Efficient utilization - ISPs are required to apply a utilization efficiency criterion in providing address space to their customers. To this end, ISPs should have documented justification available for each reassignment. ARIN may request this justification at any time. If justification is not provided, future receipt of allocations may be impacted. In extreme cases, existing allocations may be affected.

Quote:
Dated: April 2, 2004

IPs are in short supply and ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers) has been pushing hosting companies to conserve IP space and promote name-based hosting. ARIN no longer accepts virtual accounts as sufficient justification for an IP assignment.

http://www.arin.net/index.shtml

If you still don't believe us, check with the network techs at providers like 1&1, EV1 Servers, or even link providers like Cogent and Verio.

Speaking of Cogent, they may call themselves a "Tier One" company, but they buy transit. Tier 1 companies are peer only. Of course, originally, the tier 1 ISPs ran the "core" networks of the internet, back when everything was managed by the government. Post-deregulation, the term has lost meaning.

So yeah, there ya' go.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site looks nice very professional, one thing, the .com name or .net and ect names are a little more expensive than godaddy so, What do you have to offer that keeps people from going there ?? im not trying to be mean or anything but if u want alot of buisness and ur offering the same service you might want to get more competitive with your prices.
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel that $11.95 for a domain name is fair.
We don't have the buying power of Godaddy and can not afford to take a loss.

Besides it's a 1 time fee of basically 12 bucks.

The hosting packages are very reliable and will not choke the system for the amount of clients we currently have and will expect to have.

Our dedicated servers are the bulk of our business.
however we have constructed high performing and extremely reliable dedicated website hosting packages.
  • PremTech
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • PremTech
  • Loc: Toowoomba Queensland Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first impression was very nice...till I saw the guy with no hair...that was a turn off ...well for me anyways....

apart from that I like the look and feel of the site...

i would like to see your alt tags actually tell me what the images are

if it is just a pretty picture for design or layout use an empty alt tag like this alt=" " that way voice browsers skip straight over it and your visitors dont have to worry about listnening to meaningless descriptions.....

also I would try to use heading text <h1> <h2> etc instead of images for your headings...

This helps in you SEO as you look like there would be some good keywords there to be putting in heading tags...

hope this helps a little

cheers
Warren
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

the bald guy! hehe!

I was drunk with some friends one night and we were talking about website promotion...don't know how we got on that topic!

Anyway, one guy says why don't you tattoo your website on your forehead...and I thought of an image to personify promoting your site.
  • PremTech
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • PremTech
  • Loc: Toowoomba Queensland Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah thought it might have been something like that.....lol

i think it just takes a little professionalism away from your site though....

cheers
Warren
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are probably right...what would you suggest for an image?

Most people either really like it or hate it...no indifference
  • sannsar4
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Prishtina / Kosovo

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome friend i like it :P
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's why we're called Rebel Networks!
didn't want a picture of a flower! hehe!

The only thing that I am worried about is the "spiderability" of the site.
If anyone can help out...I'd be eternally grateful!

Regards,
Marc
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone have any suggestions on creative?

Another thing, I am really trying to make sure that my site is easily spidered.

Can anyone give me some input?
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just the standard stuff, really. Keywords and descriptions in ALT tags. Keywords should be in a normal sentence flow, not grouped together somewhere on the page. Keywords in H1 - H3 tags help a lot. Having keywords buried in images doesn't help much, as a spider that can't extract much text or keywords won't rank the page well. I use a CSS image replacement technique to get a little boost.

Code: [ Select ]
#domain_h1 {
 width: 780px;
 height: 39px;
 background: transparent url(images/domhead.jpg) no-repeat;
}

#domain_span {
 display: none;
}

<h1 id="domain_h1"><span id="domain_span">Uncover a Great Domain Name</span></h1>
  1. #domain_h1 {
  2.  width: 780px;
  3.  height: 39px;
  4.  background: transparent url(images/domhead.jpg) no-repeat;
  5. }
  6. #domain_span {
  7.  display: none;
  8. }
  9. <h1 id="domain_h1"><span id="domain_span">Uncover a Great Domain Name</span></h1>

The spider then sees the keywords inside the H1 element, and adds weight appropriatly, while browsers don't see the text but they see the image. This really boosted my site.

// EDIT

Looking at your source, you don't declare a doctype, you use the font tag a lot (not a pagerank issue AFAIK, but it is depreciated), your keywords META tag uses overused (eg. washed out) words, some spiders won't follow image map links, and your source is kind of a mess, with elements from ImageReady, Dreamweaver, and even FrontPage.
  • winsonlu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • winsonlu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that .org will be better for your domain name,there too much pictures in your site ,in my opinion.
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

???

.org is used for non-profit organizations. .com is used for commercial applications. Why the hell would .org fit this site better?
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trying to have a cool site that is search engine friendly is NOT an easy task!
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eh, that all depends on how you implement it. There are a lot of nice techniques in XHTML and CSS documents to increase rankings. A lot of it just deals with making your site accessible and full of relevant content. Keyword grouping isn't nearly as effective as just keeping quality content. Plus keyword grouping can get you penalized or removed :-).
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

placid knows his stuff!
I like the guy!
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like someone's opinion on the products and services page
http://www.rebelnetworks.com/products_services.php

I am trying to showcase

1. the 3 main services - domain, website hosting, managed servers
2. I want to tell people that they can try the SiteXpress website builder for a free 30-day trial. (I am trying to think of a clean way to place on my homepage) as well
3. the value adds

what are some thoughts on how to get this accomplished?
  • webitalia2005
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

To make your site more in view in search engines the best way is to exchange links with other websites,the more inbound links you have the more popularity you will have on engines,and with more roads coming to your site you will get more chance to be spidered more often...
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks...

I'm wondering if you can give me feeback on the products and services page...http://www.rebelnetworks.com/products_services.php

Thanks,
M
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just trying to get some feeback on the homepage and the products and services design?

Really appreciated!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 29 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers