SITE REVIEW: www.redcellpaintball.com !UPDATED!

• Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.redcellpaintball.com

Critique away!
Be honest, I want the site to be the best it can be so let me know what you think!
Thanks Guys!
Ian
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Denni08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Denni08
  • Loc: Cincy Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im also a paintball player and I think the website is fine. You should try to get a sign up sheet on it for a tournament going. That way you can get some sponsors.
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Denni, anyone else?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the overall look of this site is rather professional. Graphical but not overloading. Nice work.

I don't like the strikethrough on "RedCell" in the header. It makes it seem like "oh, we are no longer redcell!" I would remove the strikethrough definately. If you want it to stand out, try smallcaps or italics!

Why is their a Jesus logo at the bottom of the page? Kinda funny looking on a paintball site.

Also, you don't really have a footer. Footers give visitors closure. Otherwise the site just seems to run on into the BG.

PS: I want the A-5 M-16!!!! It looks so nice!

:-Corey-:
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Corey,
Thanks for the feedback! I think we will change the logo and put a footer on the site, nice suggestions! About the Jesus fish, it it there because we feel it is important to let people know we are a Christian owned and run business. Thanks again for the feedback! Anyone else?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would make it a hyperlink to a page that tells about you and your religion then. It doesn't tell me that right now!
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again, thanks for the suggestion. I think we will just stick with the fish for now, most people get the picture. However if you yourself have any specific questions then let me know I would be glad to discuss it with you in the "general" forum.
Ian
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about the flow of the site, how is the nav?
Does it look like a professional e-commerce site? If you were shopping for paintball stuff would you feel comfortable buying?
thanks
Ian
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

bump!
  • kc_Fbz
  • Born
  • Born
  • kc_Fbz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a very distinguished critic but i will tell you what i think. Overall I like the layout of the site very professional. The only critisism that i have that when you click on a catagory the images that come up seem too small for the box they are in. Also it would be nice to see a larger image of the products themselves.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site is nice looking, my res is 1024x768 and all the images look like they are a good size to me. The fish is not a distraction to me, and I think it is nicely placed for subtlety (sp?).

My opinion on the "strike through" in the header is that I think you were trying to make it look like a flying red paintball whipping across the logo as if it had just been shot. If that is the case, then I see where you were going with it, but I would add something else to it like some kind of motion blur and a distinguished "paintball" at the end of the line so that it looks more like a bullet with a motion trail behind it. I like the multiple photo blending in your header otherwise, it looks clean and "action" is captured!

Are you going to add rollover effects to the horizontal menu? I like rollovers! :lol:

Yes, if I were in the market (which unfortunately for you I'm not) I would feel comfortable buying from your site, it looks very professional.
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Changed it up a little, check it out.
What do you guys think about making our images smaller, so we can put more products on the home page?
thanks!
Ian
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good. Clean and sophisticated feel to it. Not bad at all. It's got easy navigation and it's user friendly. Good job! :wink:
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

We made some changes to our header for our critics, what does everyone think?
http://www.redcellpaintball.com

We also got our forum up this weekend let us know what you think of that too. (its really simple)

http://www.redcellpaintballforum.com
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have some sort of wierd mouseover underline thing going on when your site is viewed in Firefox 0.9.3.

I don't really know how to describe it, so here is a little video.
http://home.satx.rr.com/airforcedave/mouseover.wmv
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like how the store portion is wider than your masthead - but otherwise, it's a nice looking site.

I also think you should have use a local web hosting company - but I'm kind of biased on that angle... :twisted: Coz we're also in Loveland, Colorado!
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

webyourbusiness,
Hey I have seen your offices on 34 (I think). Trust me we would have desired to go local with everything but our hosting is specific to the software we use (Ablecommerce). At least we can keep you guys in mind for the future, if they ever allow us to host anywhere else!
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, our office is just off Highway 34 in one of the office buildings on Topaz Drive - right behind McGrath's bar and restaurant!

We have signage you might have seen from US-34 - and our office looks kind of like this... office photo found here

I'm interested to know - why ablecommerce?

My take on AbleCommerce is that It's quite pricey, is server based (a model I don't like for creating catalogs, but for maintenance it doesn't matter is you have broadband) and it uses aspx or cfm- neither of which are as search engine friendly as they would lead you to believe (not being indexed by many minor engines/spiders - which will definitely NOT help with the majors).

For similar or perhaps more functionality, I would have recommended Actinic Business, or for similar functionality with a much lower price tag, I'd have suggested osCommerce or Zen Cart as practically FREE options with the ability to code your own functionality (and even include the forum within the framework of the store).

Don't get me wrong - you have a pretty nice looking site - but your choice of ecommerce solution puzzles me a little - I'd like to know what went into your decision making process(es).

cheers

Greg
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I don't know what you consider "pricey", we payed about $1000 for the software, support, and any updates that they release for a year.... We have a software that is fully customizable from anywhere day or night, changes are all real time, it is intergraded with UPS World Ship, FedEx, USPS, Quick Books, MS Money, tax software, inventory software, etc. It allows us to edit anything we want, build and place products and product categories how ever we want, setup up sell options and kits, calculate shipping based on weight or allow free shipping on some item and not on others, keep all customer records, create custom email campaigns, allow members only areas, create specific thems for the whole site or just for one page, just to name a few! Oh and the best part is that it is all user friendly and we don't have to pay someone every time we want to change it! If your company can do all this for under $1000 then we made a huge mistake! Please let me know if you feel you can compete with ablecommerce, but for now we are very happy with what we got for $1000. Also let me know if you guys do any .aspx SEO. Thanks! Ian
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

like I said - Actinic Business does this.
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I checked out Atlantic Business and it doesn't seem to compare. First off you have to buy the business software the order manager software and the support all sperate for a grand total of a lot more than $1k. Second, from what I read you still have to find someone to develope your site. Third they are not based in the USA. I will stick with what I have, but thanks for the advice.
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't need order manager - you can develop it yourself - it's a moot point though - you already have AbleCommerce.

fwiw - we sell Actinic products and have been involved with Actinic software since v3 - a total of 7 years now - 80% of licenses of Actinic we sell are to owner entrepreneurs who intend building their store themselves.

regards

Greg
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

No you are right I don't need the order manager, however if we were comparing the two softwares then we would have to ad that in there because those are features that Ablecommerce already has. You are right it is a moot point! So you never answered my question though... Does your company do SEO stuff?
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, we do SEO work - but I would need to know a lot more about the control we have over the HTML in AbleCommerce before I could commment on our ability to do much with it.
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everyone check out the forum!

http://www.redcellpaintballforum.com
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, Im starting to think the site is missing a professional e-commerce feel... I might be wrong because I spend 8 hours a day looking at it... Please give me some more feed back! thanks guys!
Ian
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redcell wrote:
OK, Im starting to think the site is missing a professional e-commerce feel... I might be wrong because I spend 8 hours a day looking at it... Please give me some more feed back! thanks guys!
Ian

1. what makes you say that? Sales or lack of sales?
2. who is your target audience - explain in as much detail what your:

i. average sale would be and to who
ii. ideal sale would be and to who

3. what your results are to date - ie, how far from your ideal are you...

simply reviewing your site without having information on your target audience is a total waste of time - it's all integral - you have to hit your audience square between the eyes - being too low or too high is NOT going to work...

ie - if you're a used car dealer and you want to sell to young kids, filling the lot with EXPENSIVE cars is stupid.

Putting the old beaters at the front of the lot might be bad for bringing in the people who are purchasing too... but NOT HAVING lower end product will also hurt.

For the most part, building any web site should be part and parcel of your whole marketing strategy - and it should be consistent with your marketing goals.

You may be able to build a web site, but it doesn't make you a professional web consultant... :lol:
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
You may be able to build a web site, but it doesn't make you a professional web consultant...

In all seriousness our sales are way way up we did more in sales in the first 9 days of Dec than the whole month of Nov. and thats a lot for us! So I am not complaining about that nor do I think we are not hitting our target audience, but there is always room to improve and thats what I was asking for, hence the "web site reviews forum". I would assume that most people can figure out that our "target audience" is made up of people that have money to spend on paintball products. Because of the season we are selling a lot of christmas presents which means a lot of parents buying from us. I wasn't asking for a "professional web consultants" opinion as most people on this forum would not give themselves that title, though a lot of them are. Its just that I have been looking at the site everyday for 8 hrs a day and at that point it starts to look bla. By the way webyourbusiness I personally worked for a quote unquote "professional web consultants" company in Fort Collins, and that is why we did not go with a local company. The staff included about 12 HP lay offs that were real good at HTML and thats about it. You seem a little bitter about the fact that you didn't get our business?
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really I was just looking for some fresh reviews!
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redcell wrote:
Quote:
You may be able to build a web site, but it doesn't make you a professional web consultant...

In all seriousness our sales are way way up we did more in sales in the first 9 days of Dec than the whole month of Nov. and thats a lot for us! So I am not complaining about that nor do I think we are not hitting our target audience, but there is always room to improve and thats what I was asking for, hence the "web site reviews forum". I would assume that most people can figure out that our "target audience" is made up of people that have money to spend on paintball products. Because of the season we are selling a lot of christmas presents which means a lot of parents buying from us. I wasn't asking for a "professional web consultants" opinion as most people on this forum would not give themselves that title, though a lot of them are. Its just that I have been looking at the site everyday for 8 hrs a day and at that point it starts to look bla. By the way webyourbusiness I personally worked for a quote unquote "professional web consultants" company in Fort Collins, and that is why we did not go with a local company. The staff included about 12 HP lay offs that were real good at HTML and thats about it. You seem a little bitter about the fact that you didn't get our business?

People that buy paintball products is not useful as a target audience... information on demographics of people that purchase would be,

no - I am not bitter about getting your business - I was trying to help.. oh well....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers