SITE REVIEW: www.rentyourdot.com

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my latest site. I just updated it this morning with all new graphics.

http://www.rentyourdot.com

1) Do you understand the concept?

2) Did you bother to try it out?

3) If not, what stopped you from trying it out? What would you like to know about it in order to motivate you to try it?

The most important thing for me is "Did you understand what the website is about?". I am more interested in comments on how to help people understand the concept than comments on the graphics (although both are welcome of coarse).

John McCarthy
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't entirely understand how it works... could you explain it?
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I understand your site, but I was confused because your domain name - imho- doesn't fit your sites' content.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The website looks pretty nice. I think the domain name does relate to the service to a decent amount, but it's FAR too cluttered. However, I signed up one of my domains to give it a try.

There's not enough (easily readable) information at the top of the page that just leaps out and grabs you, and most people won't read through the whole page in order to find out what it's all about before getting bored and just closing the window. :)

For example, "Do any of these describe you", I'd condense that down to 4 or 5 very short points (5-8 words per point, with keywords in bold).

I know content is good for search engines, but here I think you're making too much effort to get keyworded for the SE's while sacrificing how it'll appear to your users.

Basically you need to condense it down so all your important information is in the first screen (800x600 screen). I'm in 1600x1200, so I see a fair amount of the content before having to scroll, but if I have to scroll in such a high res, I couldn't imagine how 800x600 users will feel :)

I'd probably drop the testimonials to 1 per page, instead of displaying 3 on each page, but I'd have it pull a random one each time, rather than the same set each page load.

Btw, just an OT question that's more related to your service than your site's actual layout. As I said, I signed up one of my domains to give it a try for a few months, but there's only a small handful of designs to choose from. Can I not choose a custom design that better suits the layout of my site? Doesn't look too impressive when these pages are coming up on a site with a completely different layout to the rest of the site.
  • Swerve
  • Born
  • Born
  • Swerve
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the above post. The "Do any of these describe you" section could be shortened. I only read the first two lines than let my eyes wander somewhere else.

The nav bar on the top is almost invisible when confronted with the large amount of content on the screen.

On the FAQ Page, when you highlight certain phrases in red within the paragraph, it drives me crazy. Makes me think that you feel that i'm not intelligent enough to read a paragraph without help. I suggest making the FAQ Question on the left stand out more (so I can find the one i'm interested in faster) and letting the explanation on the right chill. If i'm looking for an answer, its likely that i will read the entire paragraph without needing the bold read phrases.

I didn't sign up for the service because the website itself seems to be a giant "fine print". Feel that i would need to read the site from cover to cover to make sure I knew exactly what was going on ...and what the catch was.

No offense at all. Just though i would give you a consumer point of view from the start, rather than having someone beat around the bush regarding their reasons for not subscribing.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good information thanks. I suspected those points, and I will make it less cluttered. I think part of the goal was to make it all grab you, and not read it all. Just sign up already! But I will make it less cluttered.

The templates are few, and I actually do have the ability to customize the look to match your site, but at the moment it's not implemented in the front end (even though the code can in fact do it). I just haven't had time yet.

I have had 2 friends "test drive" the site before actually making it a real website (ie, their sites are hardcoded), and it does in fact make $100 a month per domain. Even domain they have not ever used, are beginning to make them money.

Three more Questions for you:

1) Did you see the 50/50 revenue split? Do I need an entire page describing that? I don't want to hide that fact.

2) Did you see how I describe that it usually takes about 1 or 2 months before a solid $100 a month is attained? Do I need a page on that?

3) Should I increase the font size to 11px instead of 10px?

JM

ps - This is where the template comes from:

http://www.hostdepartment.com

and

http://www.hdcheapwebhosting.com
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) I vaguely remember seeing the 50/50 split somewhere, although I didn't read it as a revenue split, I read it as an exposure split.

50% of the time AdSense ads are shown with your ID
50% of hte time AdSense ads are shown with my ID

That doesn't necessarily mean a 50/50 split of revenue, as you or I may receive higher paying ads than the other (and short of having access to each others' AdSense accounts - which ain't gonna happen - that's impossible to confirm) :)

2) Yup, saw that. You might want to have something in your FAQ (or in your signup agreement, whatever), that you make no guarantees as to how soon income will happen linking to a page that explains in more detail. Sort of a "How soon do I get paid?", where you can explain that nothing happens with Google overnight, and it can take a couple of months for Google to index all those new URLs, and thus send visitors.

Personally, I like that font size, I use it on many of my sites for navigation, quick lil information blocks, etc. Also, keeping it small will allow you to get more information higher up in the page once you move/rearrange the clutter.

How soon do you expect it'll be before we can edit our own templates? (custom header/footer, CSS, etc)?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Based on what was said, here is what I am planning:

- I will leave the font size the same, and just make it less cluittered.

- Less cluttered on each page means more pages.

- More information on the FAQ etc about the revenue sharing. Yes in fact it IS a impression sharing, but on average, it should be about the same. I don't want access to your google account. I have had access to my friends account when testing it so I know the number work out approximatly the same for impression sharing.

- Removing duplicate items on the top "Do any of these sound like you".

That will be the changes on the front page. The back end functionality will get the ability to set your own style, but that won't come for at least a week or two. Part of the problem is that I don't want to give too much control to the webmaster, such that they can disable my ads and put in their ads all the time. I will figure that that out.

The back end will also get promotional tools, tracking tools, and more help files etc as people sign up and it grows.

But Axe, if you want a custom style, send me a link to what it should look like and I will add that custom style straight away.

I will make those changes tonight and send an update post.

JM
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

--------

I have changed the site based on the above feedback.

Any new comments?

--------
  • miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn64 wrote:
This is my latest site. I just updated it this morning with all new graphics.

http://www.rentyourdot.com

1) Do you understand the concept?

2) Did you bother to try it out?

3) If not, what stopped you from trying it out? What would you like to know about it in order to motivate you to try it?

The most important thing for me is "Did you understand what the website is about?". I am more interested in comments on how to help people understand the concept than comments on the graphics (although both are welcome of coarse).

John McCarthy

I got the concept.

Let switch to the technical side for a while:

Did you know that google forbids you to make money in another person name? I'm refereing to the:"Having a Google Adsense account is NOT required to participate in Rent Your Dot.". I'm assuming that the adsense income is shared?

I run a web spider and after the first two months I decided that sites with infinite amount of links just tend to suck up plenty of bandwidth and space. The algorithm know decides that it had enough and removes everything altogether. Of course, once blacklisted, the site won't be crawled for a while because the algorithm will think it's pointless. I believe the other web-spiders encountered the same problem and solved it in a similar way.

I don't know what you can do about this, because the very concept of linking on your website is the very concept that gets sites/ip addresses blacklisted for a long time.

Otherwise, good looking website, I wouldn't try it out personally because I believe that a few well placed adsense boxes give much more income from reoccurring visitors than plenty of links from one time visitors.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I checked their terms of service and I couldn't find anything about this. I know of others that are doing the same thing.

I am going to add a javascript redirect to the users main site as a feature to drive traffic to their main site, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn64 wrote:
I checked their terms of service and I couldn't find anything about this. I know of others that are doing the same thing.

I am going to add a javascript redirect to the users main site as a feature to drive traffic to their main site, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm not a lawyer so this is only mu common-sense thinking.

https://www.google.com/adsense/terms

Point 3:
Communications Solely With Google. You agree to direct to Google, and not to any advertiser, any communication regarding any Ad(s) or Link(s) displayed in connection with Your Site(s)

Point 5:
Prohibited Uses. You shall not, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) directly or indirectly generate queries, impressions of or clicks on any Search Results, Links and/or Ad(s) through any automated, deceptive, fraudulent or other invalid means, including but not limited to through repeated manual clicks, the use of robots or other automated query tools and/or computer generated search requests, and/or the unauthorized use of other search engine optimization services and/or...
There's plenty more in point 5, but I think that 'generating queries' and 'search optimization' applies.

There's a bunch more but I think two are enough.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

#5 is that you're not soliciting people to click on your ads.

If you have a big notice on your site that says "Please click the AdSense Ads!", that's what #5 is for. It also includes you (or getting somebody you know) to click excessively on ads.

Basically, making fake traffic.

Generating code for legitimate page views is not against point #5 :)
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe is correct.

#3 means "You can't contact the advertisers, then post their ads directly, cutting Google out of the picture".

#5 says "You cant send invalid clicks or fake traffic". Which it isn't. People have to actually click on it.

My site is 100% Adsense compliant. There are plenty of huge sites that are doing the exact same thing as I am doing, I have only made it into a user friendly interface for smaller webmasters.

miniRank.com wrote:
camperjohn64 wrote:

I'm not a lawyer so this is only mu common-sense thinking.

https://www.google.com/adsense/terms

Point 3:
Communications Solely With Google. You agree to direct to Google, and not to any advertiser, any communication regarding any Ad(s) or Link(s) displayed in connection with Your Site(s)

Point 5:
Prohibited Uses. You shall not, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) directly or indirectly generate queries, impressions of or clicks on any Search Results, Links and/or Ad(s) through any automated, deceptive, fraudulent or other invalid means, including but not limited to through repeated manual clicks, the use of robots or other automated query tools and/or computer generated search requests, and/or the unauthorized use of other search engine optimization services and/or...
There's plenty more in point 5, but I think that 'generating queries' and 'search optimization' applies.

There's a bunch more but I think two are enough.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn64 wrote:
Quote:

Ok you checked the TOS but did you contact Google themself and asked if your idea can be implemented? other then thinking it's allowed because other's do it also :roll: because other's are doing this doesn't mean that it is allowed.

My first thought is that it isn't allowed because well maybe i understand your concept wrong but if i understand you correctly you are doing the following...

Add pages to an existing domain -> then place adsense ads on them -> by some sort of script swapping the adsense id's on those pages -> then split the profit.

You are placing an adsense code with an id on a domain that is not registered to you but to another person.
Even though you supply the pages that are going to be used for adsense placement with a time to time swap mechanism of the adsense code id's, you are placing your id on an domain that is not yours.

Did you ever hear from adsense codes being hijacked? not that you are hijacking the codes from them but you are placing ''your'' code on ''their'' websites...correction...domains.

Hijacking is not for profit but to get others banned from the program :(

I don't know how this can be allowed and fit in Googles TOS because G doesn't allow account's to be resold or rented to other people.

You just can't put your adsense code on another domain that is not registered to you! even though you make an agreement with the original domain holder.

Maybe i am totally wrong about your concept but i don't think so because your code is going to be placed on my domain and this is simply not allowed.
  • miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
#5 is that you're not soliciting people to click on your ads.

If you have a big notice on your site that says "Please click the AdSense Ads!", that's what #5 is for. It also includes you (or getting somebody you know) to click excessively on ads.

Basically, making fake traffic.

Generating code for legitimate page views is not against point #5 :)

Reread point 5 on: "unauthorized use of other search engine optimization services".
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is perfectly legal. Blogs sites currently do as I am doing - placing your ID on a site that you do not own. Geocities, Blogs sites, Myspace, all sites that host multiple google adsense ID's.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

minirank.com wrote:
Quote:
Reread point 5 on: "unauthorized use of other search engine optimization services".

This is not a case of abbusing SEO services it's unauthorised use of adsense account's.
And i doubt it that ''huge'' websites implement the same concept.

The point your refering to is more directed to the fact you can't use for example Yahoo and Google ads on the same page.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not unauthorized at all. The webmaster gives me his ID willingly. Point #5 referrs to using someone else's ID without them willingly giving it to you or authorizing you to use it.
  • miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

reaper wrote:
minirank.com wrote:
Quote:

This is not a case of abbusing SEO services it's unauthorised use of adsense account's.
And i doubt it that ''huge'' websites implement the same concept.

The point your refering to is more directed to the fact you can't use for example Yahoo and Google ads on the same page.

Well, we'll see how valid it is if he comes back here and tells us that he was just paid by G, which is the critical point when his idea will be examined by people who are in charge of giving him the payment (or not).

The worst point is that ANY given url is valid on his site.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

minirank wrote
Quote:
The worst point is that ANY given url is valid on his site.

The fact he doesn't reply on the question if he contacted google directly is a even more crucial point.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are correct. I didn't contact Google, I simply looked at some of their prefered clients and created a similar package to what they are doing. As long as they keep sending checks, I don't see a reason to be concerned.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you get your first check already by implementing this concept?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, 3 checks so far. And were much bigger checks than when I had "normal" sites. This is why I decided to re-package the site into a real user friendly site. The old version was crappy.

I do like how you are trying to poke holes in it. Nobody talks about boring websites...and most of my other websites were boring.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Yes, 3 checks so far.
I'm glad to hear that :wink:

Quote:
I do like how you are trying to poke holes in it.

:lol: Haha, it's not that i want to poke holes in it but when i hear stories about persons having their adsense codes placed on other peoples websites and getting banned for it not refering to your idea and site but things i have heard before then i am kind of warry if such things are allowed but i researched a bit around and discovered your idea is totally LEGIT.

Nice idea and hope things go well for you :wink:
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

reaper wrote:
Quote:
Yes, 3 checks so far.
I'm glad to hear that :wink:

Quote:
I do like how you are trying to poke holes in it.

:lol: Haha, it's not that i want to poke holes in it but when i hear stories about persons having their adsense codes placed on other peoples websites and getting banned for it not refering to your idea and site but things i have heard before then i am kind of warry if such things are allowed but i researched a bit around and discovered your idea is totally LEGIT.

Nice idea and hope things go well for you :wink:

Thanks. I did my research too.

You know, you should try it. Really. It's not an evil plan..you know like you're avitar. ;-)
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It's not an evil plan..you know like you're avitar

:lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers