SITE REVIEW: www.rogerphilpot.com/

• Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please critique: http://www.rogerphilpot.com/

If there are any comments about the pictures, please be advised they are old 20th century black and white retro pictures converted to color just to enhance the quality of the picture.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36
  • Loc: Glasgow, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking at your site just now, here's a quicky that might interest you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... =1&bbcws=1
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right I had better review it Roger before I get too engrossed in the content.

I love it, the colours are perfect for the subject you are addressing. The dark grey colours strike me, coal=dust=dirt=lung disease.

I think it's a cracking site to view and read. The information is fantastic. I can remember the miners strike in the 80s in the UK when Margaret Thatcher used the police and the army (dressed as police) to break the National Union Of Mineworkers. They seized their funds, froze their bank accounts and basically starved them into submission.

I am not going to comment on the code or how it's written as I am a complete novice.

You have some spelling mistakes, you have prob been staring at the font too long, a fresh eye always works.

http://www.rogerphilpot.com/CoalEducation.html

"The enegry content of U.S. coal reserves is four times greater than the recoverable oil of Saudi Arabia and exceeds that of all the world's know rrecoverable oil reserves."

Other than that I'm a fan, well done mate.
  • jeffapartmentliving
  • Born
  • Born
  • jeffapartmentliving

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice informative site. To improve your traffic numbers, I'd suggest maybe cutting down on some of the text and creating more white space. Also, when you pass the mouse over the picture thumbnails, it highlights them too big and you can see the highlight on the background. I like the fade from picture to picture. The link on this page :http://www.rogerphilpot.com/TheBlackDiamond.html on the picture of the rock is dead.
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jeff I would disagree with your suggestion on white spaces, IMHO the site gripped me due to the amount of text content, guess that's because i read a lot. We all have different opinions and only two have been expressed here. I think the site is written for the reader and not for the engines.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i dont like the color scheme Its a bit plain for a homepage, But i do like it when the links are highlighted when you hover your mouse on them.
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks every one for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whilst I am at it, i must say that this site has definitely beed written for the reader rather than search engines, this is quite apparent. If the page had been written for volume traffic then it would not work well. However this is not the case. i think this webmaster has actually mastered a site designed for the reader and not for the spiders. This kind of site is in my opinion what the casual viewer is looking for, it's not commercial but informative. I believe the designer has it just right.

Imagine this in your mind, someone searches say for "coal miners usa+history" will this site be useful and exact? I think it hits the nail on the head or the face with a jackhammer.

the colour scheme I believe is deliberate, no point in pinks or blue, the site is about coal miners, they are normally black when they leave the pit or face.

I think the colours are well thought out.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couple small things...

For people that have javascript disabled, you have a thing that tells them it is, which is awesome. But, it's kind of hidden under the main content for me when my javascript is disabled. It says "Javascript is either disabled or is not suppo" (then the rest is hidden under the content)

Also, I noticed your "Find" button isn't really themed on the search, just sticks out to me. You should style it in some way or make it look better. Give it some margin on the top if anything. I had an idea, don't know if it's cool but... How about a button with a little picture of a miner's pick that says "Find"?

Your site is awesome though man! :iconthumbleft:
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, you have done a good job. I liked your website.
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. I added some code to the search box and added a site map to it. Glad you mentioned that.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Dodger!

I critiqued this site about a month or so ago on another forum. And I have to say that it looks 100% better. You have made a huge improvement! Looks like you utilized some more modern techniques and it paid off. Here's a big virtual pat on the back man. Keep up the good work. I think the miners should be damn proud. Congrats man!
  • alopes
  • alopes

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks good your website.
  • 123bargains
  • 123bargains

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site with lots of information. Good design, however personally, I would probably make the background a different color or something less plain. Just my opinion though. Otherwise, very good site.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like this site. Nice clean layout and set up.

In my opinion I would maybe clean up the banner picture and maybe change that around a bit to a clearer picture in the background. I am viewing in FF 2.0 and its a bit pixelated.
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

kbergmann

I optimized and reduced the image file size at GIFBOT (net mechanic) for faster load time The original was 21,154 bytes. I went down to 8840 bytes. I must have over done it. Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at putting more bytes back in.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh that would explain some pixelation. Have you tried Fireworks to optimize the file? I find it works well and you can see load time and quality as the various settings are changed on your exported image. Plus PNG files seem to hold better borders and effects than JPG of GIF depending if you have optimized. If I can get it small enough I tend to go with a larger file size with a max of 6 second load time or so for a banner if it holds a better quality.
  • Muhammad Asad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Muhammad Asad
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked the site but the fonts are not good. Try using some different fonts with different sizes...The color scheme, interference is good although!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers